• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 276527 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My previous post got deleted I dont know why. Maybe because someone delete it or it expired, whatever. I'm going to do it again anyways. I feel the need to let other people know, especially fellow Filipinos know more about my place ...

Iloilo City

FACTS & FIGURES

Land Area : 56 sq. km (2000) That's pretty small!
No. of Barangays: 180 (As of December 2002)
No. of Districts: 6 (As of December 2002)
Total Population: 365,820 (As of May 1,2000 census)
Population Density: 5633 persons/ sq. km
Population Growth Rates: 1.93 (1995-2000)
Income Class: First
Employment Rate: 79.5% (Apr 2003)
Consumer Price Index: 166.6 (Dec 2003)
Inflation Rate: 5.3 (Dec 2003)
Purchasing Power of Peso: 0.60 (Dec 2003)
Average Family Income: 283,604 (2000)
No. of Elementary Schools:
Public: 51 (SY 2002-2003)
Private: 29 (SY 2002-2003)
No. of Secondary Schools:
Public : 14 (SY 2002-2003)
Private: 15 (SY 2002-2003)
No. of Tertiary Schools: 29 (SY 2000-2001)
No. of Health Centers: 7 (2002)
No. of Barangay Health Stations: 37 (2002)
No. of Motor Vehicles Registered: 48,982 (2003)
For more click here!!!

Education is very important in Iloilo, proof of that is the existence of many Educational Institutions in the City and the Province as well. There are 2 campuses of UP in Iloilo, one in the city and the main campus 'UP in the Visayas' in Miagao Town. Other notable universities include (for a complete listing click here):

Central Philippine University
University of Iloilo
University of San Agustin
West Visayas State University

Here's what you've been waiting for ... PICTURES!!! :banana: :carrot: :pepper: :lock: :banana2: :rock:

Plazoletagay

Near Provincial Capitol and Atrium Plaza

Premier St. of Iloilo forgot its name maybe J.M. Basa, but I could be wrong ;)

Left side is Amigo Hotel, right side is MaryMart Mall

Amigo Terrace Hotel

Sarabia Manor Hotel

Old SM Ledesma, it has been improved recently, but it is still 2 stories tall. The Old is one of the first (or THE first) SM outside of Manila.

Atrium Mall

Street leading to capitol

Plaza Libertad

Jaro Plaza

SM City Iloilo

Robinsons Mall

Iloilo River + Squaterrs (who doesnt have em anyways?)

Iloilo River + Capitol Bldng

Iloilo River + Sugar Industrial Thinggy

Just Iloilo River

Iloilo Provincial Capitol

Old Pic I found on the Net

Yes, I'm sad to say PIRATED CDs are all over the city

Iloilo Airport in Mandurriao District, we have a u/c International Airport in triboundaries of Cabatuan-Sta.Barbara-San Miguel which will be finished in 2007

Iloilo National High School

Sunset in Iloilo-Guimaras Strait

Iloilo Riverside Walk

I hate to post this but, just like anyother city. Iloilo does have its waste problems too!

Jaro Church

San Jose Church

Molo Church, I like this one

St. Nino de la Candelaria (I think). One day a person found this statue in the Iloilo River and thought of putting it in a small glass box, where it fit perfectly at that time, and it was displayed at the Jaro Church. After the years went by, they had to continually transfer it to bigger containers to accomodate its growing size.

Iloilo is the Administrative Center of R6 - Western Visayas so expect to see a lot of Department Regional Offices in here and other government institutions like TESDA, where I enrolled once for a summer training program

One of Many Old Houses in Iloilo. This one is in Luna St., Jaro

Old Mansion, now the Angelicum School

One of the Grandest Mansions in Iloilo. It is owned by the Lopezes

Muelle Loney (Part of Iloilo Domestic Port). We also have an International Port and other Facilities

More to come!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PORT OF ILOILO

Credits to Iloilocity.cjb.net

GENERAL INFORMATION

The new port of iloilo is strategically located at a new site apart from the old port facilities. Situated in the Southern coast of Panay Island, it has one of the country’s safest and most natural harbors. Guimaras Island guards the port from violent storms and makes it ideal for harboring ships and cargoes.

TRADE AND COMMERCE

The Port of Iloilo, considered the leading trade and commercial hub for Western Visayas is also one of the safest natural seaports of the world. It has been serving international shipping as early as 1855 handling sugar and fertilizer shipments for international market. Major trading activities were handled before in this areas as evidenced by the country’s first recorded export of sugar.

The adapted perspective further shows that more tha 75% of the country’s land area lies within 500 km radius of iLoilo encompassing Manila City and the nation’s main industrial centers. Thus, the port could well serve as consolidation center for both importable and exporbale commodities. Within this area is a potential market of more than 32 million people.

On the port’s potential of becoming the country’s distribution center for imported goods, it offers optimum accessibility for goods coming in from the ASEAN, Africa, the Middle East and even Europe. As such, for the port to become an international transshipment point is a distinct possibility.
(http://www.ppa.com.ph/Port Profile/Visayas/iloilo/ILOILOFRAME.htm)

It is ranked third in terms of shipcalls at 11,853, fourth in cargo throughout at 491,719 million metric tons and fourth in passenger traffic at 2.4 million annually.

The Iloilo Commercial Port Complex (ICPC) was compelled in 1985 to serve as a hub port. Due to lack of berths, an increasing number of ships are being diverted to other ports.

The expansion of ICPC entails the amount of US$50.0 million and works include the extension of the reinforced concrete (RC) wharf, back-up area, dredging of the harbor basis, access road, waste reception/reefer facilities, computerized systems and vertical infrastructure.

PORT PROFILE

Total Port Area Old Foreign Pier : 17,000 sq.m.
River Wharf : 68,000 sq.m.
Iloilo Commercial Port Complex : 208,000 sq.m.
Back-up area/commercial : 97,000 sq.m.
Operational Area : 111,000 sq.m.

The Iloilo Commercial Port Complex is located on a 20.8 hectares of reclaimed land. It has modern facilities that include 11,400 sq. meters of open space for unhampered operations, supplemented by a backup area of 97,000 sq. meters; crane

rails of 348 lineal meters; roll-on-roll-off support; a 7,800 container freight stations; and a 720 sq. meter passenger shed. The port complex is ideal for ships plying international routes having a berth lenght of 400 meters, a width of 26.26 meters and a berthing depth of 10.50 meters.

Supporting the province's thriving marine industry is the Iloilo Fishing Port Complex which houses facilities that allow investors to engage in food processing to start and operate their business. Situated on a 20.20 hectare reclaimed area, it has major refrigeration facilities such as contact and blast freezers, an IQF unit, a sewerage treatment facility and a 10-hectare area for factory space.

·
FLAVOURSofILOILO.blogspot
1,884 Posts
from http://www001.upp.so-net.ne.jp/gaki/paviasta.babaradingleduenas.html

Pavia Church
One of Iloilo's most progressive municipalities is Pavia, center of the government7s thrust to develop Panay as a major area for agro-industrial development. While Pavia has become the base from which many large corporations conduct their Visayan operations, it still retains a special charm as evident in their historic church. The earthy red bricks create a formidable, fiendly-looking structure that welcomes parishioners into its dusky interiors.

Sta.Barbara Church
The municipality of Sta.Barbara has its place in history as the center of revolutionary activities against the Spanish. It was here, in 1898, where the Filipino flag was raised to the cries of a freedom -thirsty crowd. Sta.Barbara is known today as home to a beautiful church, chiefly of Romanesque architectural style. Of equal attraction is the L-shaped convent to the right of the church, built in the Antillan style.

Sta.Barbara Church Courtyard
The layout of the two structures is such that a charming courtyard is formed in between.

Iloilo Golf and Country Club(Sta.Barbara)
The first ''fore'' heard in the Philippines was exclaimed on the courses of the Iloilo Golf and country Club, the oldest in 1907 in Sta.Barbara,
Iloilo. Golf enthusiasts hit their dimpled balls across undulating slopes that were left practically as nature had made them. In the fifties, the more modern fairway design was adapted.

Dingle Church
The quaint Dingle Church is an adaptation of the Filipino Baroque style, with four rose windows spanning its facade and a podium of steps leading to its large wooden door. Like most other Iloilo churches it was used as a garrison by the Japanese, who beheaded Filipino soldiers behind the church.

Duenas Church
Since 1884, Duenas children have been welcomed into the Catholic faith with the pouring of holy water on their forehead as they are carried over this alabaster-colored baptismal fountain at the Duenas Church. The sunlight streaming in from a window above the fountain bathes the corner in a pious glow. Behind the fountain, a narrow staircase seems to lead right into heaven.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow! nice to see I'm not alone in this one ... those pictures are awesome.

Iloilo Airport

taken by me

credits to www.iloilocity.cjb.net

Construction of Iloilo
int'l airport starts
Posted: 6:26 AM (Manila Time) | Mar. 23, 2004
By Nestor P. Burgos Jr.
Inquirer News Service

ILOILO CITY -- President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo on Sunday announced that the construction of the Iloilo international airport would start this month.

She told a news conference that the Department of Transportation and Communication and the Taisei-Shimizu Joint Venture signed the contract for the construction of the 6.2-billion-peso airport last March 15.

On Friday, the Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC) signed its concurrence to the contract. JBIC is putting in 5.2 billion pesos for the project from its Special Yen Loan Package.

Ms Macapagal also announced the awarding of the contract to build a 4.8-billion-peso regional airport in Silay City, Negros Occidental to the Taneka-Itochu consortium.

The Iloilo airport is set to be completed in 42 months.

Ms Macapagal said the Iloilo City airport is the fourth busiest in the country in terms of the number of passengers next to the Ninoy Aquino International Airport and the Mactan (Cebu) and Davao international airports.

The new airport will be constructed in a 188-hectare area straddling the towns of Sta. Barbara and Cabatuan, which is around 24 km west of Iloilo City.

It will have state-of-the-art facilities including a modern terminal, control tower buildings, and landing and navigation systems. It will have a runway 2.5 km long and 45 meters wide, a passenger terminal with 12,000 sq m of space and a 1,281 sq m-cargo terminal.

The President said more jobs and opportunities will be forthcoming with the opening of the Iloilo and Silay airports.

The site of the old airport in Mandurriao District here will be converted into a commercial and light industry complex, according to the President.

But a group of landowners under the Airport Concerned Alliance has accused the government of failing to provide an acceptable relocation site and livelihood programs for displaced families from the airport site.

Drilon said the government is addressing the complaint and allotted P20 million for it.

www.iloilocity.cjb.net said:
FUTURE PLANS ILOILO INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

The Department of Transportation and Communications has approved the development of the Western Visayas International Airport in the town of Cabatuan.

The proposed airport will have a 4-kilometer runway that is about 2.5 kilometer in width. Construction of the new international standard Iloilo Airport will start early 2003.
Weird, Inquirer says the Int'l airport has 45mx2.5km runway (not a big improvement and small of an international airport), while iloilocity.cjb.net says its 2.5kmx4km (too large) ...

Right now, I can safely say the construction is generally on-track. These have been problems which risen from issues with land-owners of the construction site, residents around it, and corruption allegations filed against gov't officials and contractors. Just the usual Philippine Inffra Project

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Iloilo to get its first flyover!!! This is a major infrastructure in Iloilo, and this will help a lot in the worsening traffic situation. Currently the city's road are over capacity, Iloilo hasa land area of 70sq. km. but the city has only a total road lenth of about 100kms, this project (if realized) will help a lot ....

30th October 2003 top

DPWH ON THE RIGHT TRACK WITH HIGH-IMPACT PROJECTS IN ILOILO

In line with President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo’s vision of a strong republic through interregional and interprovincial development program, the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) has come up with another high-impact project that will certainly benefit the commuters especially the Ilonggos.

An essential part of the Iloilo River Rehabilitation Project (IRRP), the DPWH has proposed for the construction of Jalandoni Bridge and its approaches, as well as related road components such as flyover, Iloilo Boulevard, and access roads.

Initially, the DPWH wanted to incorporate the bridge project into the Iloilo Flood Control Project (IFCP), which will be funded under a loan agreement by the Government of the Philippines (GOP) and the Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC).

However, due to budget constraints, the construction of Jalandoni Bridge and its related components can not be included in the funding for the IFCP.

Thus, the DPWH has sought the help of Senate President Franklin Drilon, a native of the province, to facilitate realization of this project. Through the initiative of the good senator, Phase 1 or the Jalandoni Bridge project costing P55 million has been funded and released.

The bridge project, which is envisioned to form part of Iloilo’s road network, will be located in the central portion of Iloilo River, connecting the city proper and La Paz District. It will cross towards the north side of the river in Barangay Nabitasan, traversing mangrove and fishpond areas.

The Jalandoni Bridge Project will include the construction of 170 linear meters of pre-stressed concrete girder bridge on bored pile foundation consisting of two (2) spans of 25 meters and four (4) spans of 30 meters.

DPWH Region VI Director Wilfredo Agustino has reported that the bridge project has a 20.63% accomplishment to date.

Since it is not feasible to construct the Jalandoni Bridge without considering the related components, the DPWH has proposed to include construction of the fly-over, the Iloilo Boulevard, and access roads.

Phase II, which will cost P95 million, is the Construction of the Jalandoni Bridge Access Road leading to Hechanova Streets and Boulevard.

Phase III, amounting to P60 million, is the Construction of Jalandoni Bridge Access Road Leading to Diversion Road and Boulevard.

Phase IV, the Construction of Dungon Bridge, has an estimated cost of P32 million.

And lastly, Phase V, the Construction of Fly-over along General Luna, will amount to P30 million.

To facilitate implementation of the entire project, a request for funding has been made to the JBIC by the Honorable Senator Drilon.

Ongoing activities include the construction of the Jalandoni bridge, which is under contract with New San Jose Builders, Inc.

At the rate things are going, the DPWH is confident that by next year, Iloilo will have new roads and bridges that will be at par with the country’s top infrastructures.

·
Khal vezhven!
2,285 Posts
wow! nice thread :) Iloilo got beautiful churches :eek:kay:

im curious, is Iloilo City the lone city in Iloilo province? are there any other cities?

·
1,884 Posts
Renkinjutsushi said:
Nice pictures you have posted here chymera.......BTW what is that white pillar thingy on the first picture?
lemme answer in behalf of chymera ....

its the controversial OBELISK located in pone of the busiest intersections of the city.

·
1,884 Posts
tyronne said:
wow! nice thread :) Iloilo got beautiful churches :eek:kay:

im curious, is Iloilo City the lone city in Iloilo province? are there any other cities?
Iloilo city is the ONLY HIGHLY URBANIZED city.
there's also another one, PASSI CITY but really not that urbanized.

·
1,884 Posts
chymera said:
Hey whyte, where are you from by the way?
im from sta. barbara :) you?

·
Registered
503 Posts
My mom's family is from Pavia, we still have a house there. My dad is from Jaro. My family is VERY Ilonggo. When people who've just been to Iloilo ask why for such a relatively small city, it has so many malls and supermarkets, I tell them its because Ilonggos can out-shop all the other Filipinos easily. And yes, the old SM Iloilo was the first SM outside Manila, and SM Jaro was the first standalone SM supermarket in the country. I'm just wondering though, why are 2 of the SM City Iloilo's cinemas always closed?

·
1,884 Posts
JudeD said:
My mom's family is from Pavia, we still have a house there. My dad is from Jaro. My family is VERY Ilonggo. When people who've just been to Iloilo ask why for such a relatively small city, it has so many malls and supermarkets, I tell them its because Ilonggos can out-shop all the other Filipinos easily. And yes, the old SM Iloilo was the first SM outside Manila, and SM Jaro was the first standalone SM supermarket in the country. I'm just wondering though, why are 2 of the SM City Iloilo's cinemas always closed?
we're having an ilonggo forum here :)

yup. i think most ilonggos grew up with SM being there in the early 80's. i witness all of its transformation from just one bldg then 2 then having a sort of "fiesta carnival" between them. then being made into just one bldg and lately being renovated.

dont fortger SM GUANCO, the 2nd? standalone sm grocery.but grocery-wise gaisano is still the hands down LOWEST PRICE store.

·
1,884 Posts
hopefully after the INTL AIRPORT, the next big construction project would be a bridge linking Guimaras to the mainland.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
whyte said:
hopefully after the INTL AIRPORT, the next big construction project would be a bridge linking Guimaras to the mainland.
People thought of building that bridge long ago, but they only took it into consideration if the future INT was to be built in Guimaras but the Guimarasnons did not want the INT to be built there , hence its present location Cabatuan.

I concerned about what impact that will do to Guimaras Island. Yes, they will experience tremendous economic growth but with the expense of its beauty. Also, higher risk of the introduction of foreign mango seeds may soil its world class mangoes, I am happy with Guimaras just the way it is.

whyte said:
im from sta. barbara you?
Mandurriao, studying in WVSU - CON right now :) Hi Juded :)

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
JudeD said:
Yep, Iloilo is a big consumer-oriented city, people here spend a lot of money we like to have and go to celebrations like fiestas a lot!Also note that there are many Ilonggos working in Manila and especially abroad as Domestic Helpers, Nurses, Engineers and such so there's a lot of money to circulate around. Iloilo is also the financial center of Western Visayas, almost every corner of downtown has a bank and a lot of prominent rich families has origins from Iloilo.

Iloilo could use some more malls. I hope Ayala builds theirs here soon!

1 - 20 of 276527 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.