SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my plane landed close to 4 p.m. today and the ride from Intercontinental was a bitch. I decided to hit up Sugar Land, hometown of Tom Delay and the citizens love to keep him in office for some strange reason, but I still decided to show them some love. As conservative as Sugar Land is, it is just about as diverse as you can get and is located in the third most diverse county in the country, Fort Bend. The suburban town is located about 25-30 miles southwest of downtown Houston and has an average population density around 2800 people per square mile. Not that far from most sunbelt cities. ;) It also has a five mile radius population of about 300,000 so yes it constitutes to Houston's sprawl. That's a 5 mile radius higher than a lot of sunbelt cities from their urban core. Oh well, enough commentary here are the pics.

Sorry for the ones who are a fan of grit. ;)

·
Registered
128 Posts
very nice pics t-boy but i'm curious, and i know it's not my business but how in the world do you have $$$ to keep flying back and forth from Ft. Laughterdale to Houston every month?

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Pretty nice looking city. I know that was probably its brand spanking new "urban" core, but it still looks nice. What do the residentials look like in Sugarland?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
greystone08 said:
very nice pics t-boy but i'm curious, and i know it's not my business but how in the world do you have $$$ to keep flying back and forth from Ft. Laughterdale to Houston every month?
you're not the only person to ask. i have pm's from several people. i happen to know or my parents happen to know some officials at Continental in Houston. I will be in Houston for awhile this summer though.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Sweet pics! (pun intended)
Say..any pics from the mall Expansion? i heard that's going to be a pretty neat development, too.

·
3rd Coast
1,123 Posts
Nice pictures indeed, I haven't seen much of Sugarland since I went there a few months ago, good to see it coming along nicely. And welcome back home.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
texasboy said:
you're not the only person to ask. i have pm's from several people. i happen to know or my parents happen to know some officials at Continental in Houston.
Are you and Gordo hitting the town this weekend??

·
Registered
169 Posts
Pretty nice looking city. I know that was probably its brand spanking new "urban" core, but it still looks nice. What do the residentials look like in Sugarland?
Because of Texas' pretty liberal annexation laws, many fringe communities like Sugar Land, Missouri City, Pearland (near Houston) and Plano, McKinney and Frisco (near Dallas) can grow pretty freely and pretty swiftly, and attract a lot of these new community developers to vacant areas nearby. Thus these fringe communities grow to be fairly large suburban entities with populations reaching 100,000 in short order, then 200,000 and then even 300,000. You'll find older areas that have a very unified feel to them, as if they were all built within a year of each other, then newer areas of the same fabric, then even newer areas. While many of you will hate the cookie-cutter feel to these neighborhoods, these groupings over time do start develop more of a character of their own.

For example, in the northern part of Sugar Land, there thousands of new homes being built by at least a dozen builders, some with more variety of design than others but when you compare these homes to some of the homes being built to the west, they have a slightly different feel to them, and then they feel completely different from the older homes built in the 70s and 80s that constitute the centralized part of Sugar Land.

So, I guess what I am saying is that Sugar Land homes have all of the cookie-cutter characteristics but because these different communities have sprung up over a good amount of time, they're starting to develop a more distinguishable identity.

The New Urbanism concept that these fringe communities like Sugar Land, Pearland, League City and Plano have adopted may lead to a massive revitalization of the older cores of the communities but they'll still have some pretty large suburban style communities expanding miles in every direction--yet with a bit of history to them, just like the primary cities from which they were born.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Great photos, texasboy :eek:kay: Never been to Sugar Land, but if most new urbanist projects looked as nice, I would not be complaining about the abuse of the term New Urbanism. At least, it appears to be a walkable and dense community.

·
Registered
344 Posts
It's a nice area, and a rich suburb. My cousins live out there in the First Colony area. There is a mall next to this development, a movie theater, a new Cheesecake Factory, and alot more. I like the whole highway 6 area, and that part of 59.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Well you are not that far from where I live, and although people here may not live a conservative lifestyle, they definitley are politically conservative. I go to high school out here, well actually I just graduated, and the people who scream liberal just by my assumptions are always politically conservative. Anways great pics. Also, I do not visit the forums frequently as I should so do you have any links to any other threads you have done.

·
Skyscraper Guru
835 Posts
wow, i didnt realize sugar land tx was so nice. i was born in dallas and had heard things about sugar land, but never been or seen pictures til now. very nice indeed!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts