SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I was born in Tipton in 1979 and have fantastic memories of Birmingham city center from the years of 89 onwards.

I was a particularly big visitor of the city's record shops and would visit every week.

I've been searching online for some images with no joy. In particular I'm looking for shots of Way Ahead Records that was located in the Bull Ring of old, also Swordfish when it was in it's prior location in Needless Alley.

Honestly I'll take anything I can get from the late 80's to early 90's. So many memories that I only wish I could relive.

Are there any other people here that share this passion?

Thank you for reading!

- Ringside.

·
Disco and drugs trade
15,947 Posts
Swordfish was down Hurst Street when it was still called 'Rockers', I think.

I bought a Syd Barrett album from them, many, many years ago

Also Plastic Factory up the top of Corporation Street was great too.

Until they stopped paying their bills, apparently..

But as much time as I spent in them, I havn't got any pictures of them. :(

I think I've got a picture of Desparate Dan's in Leeds, as an ex-record shop... :shifty:

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
This will definately be an interesting thread!

Really getting into my vinyls now, cheap and some really rare music is only found on vinyl!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow I never knew Swordfish before it's Needless alley days.....man I've so many fond memories of that vinyl packed shop down that grimy alley!

Yeah I used to frequent Plastic Factory too. Someone somewhere has to have shots of these shops from this era!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I remember Highway 61 too....I think I only ever got a couple of things from there though...I still remember what they were too. Leatherface - Little White god 7" and the Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Don't Know How To Party LP ha!

I cannot remember what the little place was called in Picadilly Arcade but I also visited that place occassionally.

There was also a place on Paradise Circle but I think I only went there once or twice, no idea what it was called. Anyone?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd forgotten all about that little sticker Tempest used to put on the rear of their records until you mentioned it!

Their little foil Tempest Import sticker was pretty too.

And I never knew the Swordfish bag was just a direct copy of the Grateful Dead art!

·
Disco and drugs trade
15,947 Posts
Anybody remember Spencer??

Went from Way Ahead records to Plastic Factory to er.. Richer Sounds...

Or when Adele from Novak used to work at Plastic Factory then Tempest?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Reddingtons Rare Records, a goldmine ! was at the back of the bullring , and also this place below , i think he got forced out due to high rent , now its one of them posh snobby shops . (bring back the 70s):)

·
Registered
968 Posts
http://www.reddingtonsrarerecords.co.uk/dannyshop.htm

From my younger days in the 70s & 80s, I used to be a frequent visitor to "Reddingtons Rare Records" down Digbeth way. They had a huge collection of vinyl LPs, 45s and 12" picture discs covering all sorts of musical genre, but mostly indie stuff that the late John Peel would probably approve of.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Blimey, just what did happen to all the shops?

http://birminghammusicarchive.com/record-shops/

H.M.V killed em all off , there was 3 hmv shops at one time the smallest next to were HSBC bank is , another next to woolworths at the top of new st ramp tower records was a few doors up from jane norman , and there were 2 Virgin shops too ,the original above the subway above games exghange, then there was loads of little market jobs down the bullring , brum was great on a rainy day , just spend all day goin from music shop to shop :banana:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I remember Spencer from Way Ahead / Plastic Factory and later Richer Sounds (I think!)....he used to keep me informed of new punk stuff that would be of interest to me. I was a kid at the time (14 / 15) so really appreciated him taking the time to talk to me and keep me informed.

As for Adele.....I never knew her or knew she was in a band but remember her from Plastic Factory.

Reddingtons is somewhere I'd go in but wouldn't purchase too often as I found them to be expensive. I cannot remember the guys name but I'd usually talk to a goth fellow that worked upstairs who was very helpful. Anyone know who that would have been?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts