·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=45131

Want to migrate to Australia? Apply now

Press Trust of India
Posted online: Monday, April 18, 2005 at 1619 hours IST

New Delhi, April 18: Hit by shortage of labour force, Australia on Monday said that it has increased migration of skilled workers by 20,000 for 2005/06.

The skilled migration will be allowed in trade and engineering-related occupations, a press release from Australian High Commission said adding the increase will be within the overall migration programme.

As per the migration programme, Australia allows 1,30,000 to 1,40,000 persons to migrate into the country, of which 97,500 are skilled persons.

A pilot programme would be introduced to allow overseas students to undertake traditional trade apprenticeships in regional Australia on a full fee paying basis, and on completion of these, to apply for migration under one of the regional migration visas, it said.

G

·
My friend looks like wanting to apply as a skilled immigrant but she is required to pay 2500.00 with no guarantee's or return of money if she does not pass. That doesn't seem too fair.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Homeroids said:
My friend looks like wanting to apply as a skilled immigrant but she is required to pay 2500.00 with no guarantee's or return of money if she does not pass. That doesn't seem too fair.
Yes it does. It's a standard processing fee. They need to check people's backgrounds and the like - a fee discourages half-baked applications.

But, if your friend meets the skills criteria and has a criminally clean background, she has absolutely nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Interesting article; this seems as good a place as any to post it.

China now top source of migrants
By Paul Pottinger
May 01, 2005
CHINA has become the main source of immigrants to Australia, surpassing New Zealand the United Kingdom for the first time.

Australian Bureau of Statistics figures show a rapidly accelerating number of immigrants from south-east Asia, with India now ranking fourth and the Philippines fifth.
Sydney is now the hub of Asian Australia, with 12 per cent of the city's four million inhabitants claiming an Asian - mainly ethnically Chinese - background.

Chinese - primarily Cantonese - is now Sydney's second language, spoken by seven per cent of residents. Among those who live in the City of Sydney area this is as high as 10 per cent. Macquarie University geographer Dr Michael Poulsen said Sydney had become one of the world's great melting pots.

Sydney's racial mix has changed irrevocably since the 1947 census, when 96 per cent claimed Anglo-Celtic ancestry. That had fallen to 64 per cent in the 2001.

"Ethnic hubs tend to dissipate over time," Dr Poulsen said. "Sydney's story is one of ethnic populations mixing."

Dr Poulsen said many recent arrivals from Malaysia, Singapore, New Zealand and Fiji were either of Chinese birth or extraction.

"Until the 1990s we did not have a very big Asian population - that has altered considerably," Dr Poulsen said.

At the time of the 1991 census, there were 77,799 China-born persons in Australia - 2.1 per cent of the total overseas-born population - and 28,680 Australia-born persons who reported that one or both of their parents had been born in the People's Republic of China.

Of that first generation, 70 per cent had settled in Australia since 1981.

"Where people settle depends on the level of skills they come with," Dr Poulsen said.

"There is a great concentration of Vietnamese people in Fairfield because many of the original arrivals in the 1970s were refugee peasants who needed to congregate for community support.

"Sydney's Chinese, by and large, have the skills and money to settle where they please," he said.

More than half of all residents in the City of Sydney had both parents born overseas, including 12 per cent born in China.

Increasingly, they are headed to the affluent North Shore and Hills district.

Closer to the city, Ashfield's highly visible Chinese presence has seen it nicknamed "little Shanghai".

"When we come here we have a lot of reasons, mostly to get the best future for ourselves and the next generation," said Ashfield Councillor Karin Cheung, who first lived in Sydney as a student in the 1990s.

The family of SBS Movie Show executive producer, Annette Shun Wah, moved back and forth between Brisbane and Hong Kong.

"A metropolis such as Sydney or Melbourne has more to offer someone from Hong Kong than the outer suburbs or the regional centres," she said. "Of course, there's also a Chinese presence - family, business contacts - which is very important to the way Chinese people operate."

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,15133551-421,00.html

·
Urban Monk
2,432 Posts
Well, they always increase the intake number every year.. but at the same time they increase the minimum entry point.

·
Яandwicked
691 Posts
Homeroids said:
Hehe tell the Toronto ppl this and they'll argue argue argue.
It's funny, that's the first thing that crossed my mind when I read this in the paper today.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts

·
Banned
64 Posts
Im glad that Melbourne is getting a much more diverse group of migrants than Sydney. Although we do seem to getting the majority of the skilled Indian migrants which is good.

G

·
ahhhh, just going by all the threads I see relating to diversity, immigration etc. Just look at the arguments between TO and the rest of the world, especially London.

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
Would be interesting to see where these chinese choose to eventually settle. I know that for immigration the majority of Taiwanese (if they are any different) are choosing Brisbane's southside. More than 45% of all the Taiwanese in Australia now live in Brisbane's central south districts.

Also isn't it funny how international migrants are choosing certain areas to live - even areas outside capitals. Toowoomba now has one of the largest populations of recent African migrants in Australia and its a regional centre. Brisbane's inner south is also very popular for migrants from Africa - you can see it in the food and all the interesting stores that are opening up!!

jt

·
Urban Monk
2,432 Posts
sirhc8 said:
Yes it does. It's a standard processing fee. They need to check people's backgrounds and the like - a fee discourages half-baked applications.

But, if your friend meets the skills criteria and has a criminally clean background, she has absolutely nothing to worry about.
For skilled migrant, background checking fall as applicant responsibility. Applicant need to do and submit police clearance check, medical check (own fee), skill check etcetera.

While it is possible the government did another round of checking, but I doubt the government really check every single applicant.

So yeah, most of that $2500 goes to the government.

Btw, does it really cost $2500 now? Wow, that've increased alot from $1500, the fee I paid for my application, less than 5 years ago.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
^^^ Great JayT, QLD has alot of catching up to do, it accounts for 19% of the Australian population but only about 12% of international settlers.

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
wowsim said:
^^^ Great JayT, QLD has alot of catching up to do, it accounts for 19% of the Australian population but only about 12% of international settlers.
Yes but its bad when you consider that the majority of that 12% make their homes on Brisbane's southside or the Gold Coast. Regional centres don't attract international migrants.

Apart from Toowoomba and the Darling Downs attracting Africans in large numbers (both white and black) I know of no other regional centre that attracts migrants in Qld.

jt

·
Registered
820 Posts
I think that's sadly true of most states. All parts of Sydney attract migrants but I don't think too many people go to Newcastle or Wollongong or even less so to Western NSW.
Although, I could be wrong. Are there any statistics for this on regional centres?

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
Matixvolta said:
Populate or Parish!

Common you people. Breed like bunnies!
Common people do breed like bunnies:)

That half the problem.

jt

1 - 20 of 41 Posts