SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it'd be nice to see (not just hear) what people think would be an improvement to an area. No doubt I'll be the only one who posts... :laugh:

Anyway, here is a quick modification I made to the city, adding a couple more open spaces...

Before

After

Anyone got any other changes to the city they'd like to share?

·
Like 'Berg'
6,750 Posts
What I'd do first, if given the freedom of the city (and how mighty sweet that'd be.. ) would be to tear down that vile thing opposite st peters sq (that is its name aint it? outside the town hall extension next to tramlines? Yes well the one on the far left opposite (and below) the white office block. There I would create an open space to compliment Earlybirds small plaza outside the library. At the far end of this space would be a prominant 'landmark' building. It would cheekily soar to 70m, getting away with its dominating presence besides the town hall due to the fact its miles better than the concrete beast that was there before it, hehehe.

·
Less is more.
6,209 Posts
ferge said:
There I would create an open space to compliment Earlybirds small plaza outside the library.
I think that would be a good idea, just think, driving up Oxford St and all of a sudden it just opens up into a huge green space with cafes spilling out on to it and people meeting up etc, its a good one that.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I would blow up Elizabeth House with twice as much TNT as needed, to give it a painful end. I'd create a green space on that land and pedestrainise the one way road the goes bwteen EH and the tram stop. Give the Odeon building a new use too, maybe partly demolish it, the plain bit.

Although it would be extremely difficult, I'd make an underground tunnel for the metrolink that would take it from the Midland Hotel to Mosely Street, because the tram stop and the bus lane next to it make St Peters Square a dangerous obstacle course.

I'd rip up the concrete beside the Town Hall extension and that stupid circular building thing and make one huge green space.

·
Less is more.
6,209 Posts
:) I would turn the front of the Town Hall into grass and get rid of those ridiculous cobbles, I would make Deansgate One Way idealy southbound and have a nice boulevard(sic) right down the centre of it lined with mature trees, I'd encourage big companies to advertise in neon lights all over the city centre making it feel vibrant and exiting like Times Square, I'd dramatically change the design of our trams(what a joke, have you seen Nottinghams they look wicked) er....anything else I think of I'll post :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You're allowed to edit pics to show what you'd do you know... :tongue:

Anyway, here's stage two... I've cleared an area for a nice landmark building to go up:

·
Registered
428 Posts
If the block of buildings just below and to the right of the space occupied by Elisabeth House were demolished as well (although admittedly they're hardly eyesores), then that has the potential to be a fantastic open space which would really give Central Library, the Town Hall and Town Hall extension the room they deserve. Add a couple of open-air bars/cafes and that would be a square to be proud of, even with the intrusion of the Metrolink lines.

Maybe then the underwhelming buildings between the newly-demolished Eagle Star House and St Peter's Square would be a candidate for demolition to be replaced by a landmark building.

·
Less is more.
6,209 Posts

er...not sure how to do this photo uploading bizniz...if it works you should see a picture of Piccadilly with Albany Tower in foreground and Greengate in the background and a couple of bits and bobs that I think will make the whole scene look better, If it doesnt work then...bollocks

·
Less is more.
6,209 Posts
bummer, still...i'd love to see a similar skyline in a couple of years or so, greengate may be scrapped but I believe some sort of tower will be erected on that site?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
That is a WOW factor!!!!

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
The bottom end of Deansgate could become an Italian piazza, that building that masks the old railway yard is fantastic but too narrow for practical purposes so bulldoze the other side of Deansgate then widen the narrow building and create a colonaded arcade for outdoor cafes sheltered from the rain. Create a similar building on the opposite side of a considerably widened Deansgate and pedestrianise it at this point to create a square that is the epicentre of a museum, hotel and conference district.

·
Registered
17 Posts
EarlyBird said:
You're allowed to edit pics to show what you'd do you know... Anyway, here's stage two... I've cleared an area for a nice landmark building to go up:
EB. I'm not clever enough to do this but could you add Beetham, GN, Leftbank, and CJC to show where we're already heading?

·
Registered
628 Posts
rolybling said:

er...not sure how to do this photo uploading bizniz...if it works you should see a picture of Piccadilly with Albany Tower in foreground and Greengate in the background and a couple of bits and bobs that I think will make the whole scene look better, If it doesnt work then...bollocks

Like the pic except for the Coke sign.

BTW is that building with Manchester written on it, going to be curved?

Anyway, about improving. I'd deffo get rid of No1 Piccy and improve the gardens. Also delete the Arndale Tower from the skyline..perhaps have with something a lot better in it's place. I'd love one of the streets around the Northern Quarter(or there abouts) be given a roof a la Galleria in Milan. reckon something on VIctorian lines would look lovely on top the excellent Victorian buildings.

Also, what about a monorail? weaving in and out of the tall buildings. The vew of the City Centre would be luverly from up there. Imagine coming to work in Town on monorail, high up in the sky.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts