Skyscraper City Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 213 Posts

·
Banned
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
15 years from now which one would be the power house of east africa....
NAIROBI OR KHARTOUM

i think khartoum would be on top bcz there is more construction projects and more foreign investment, a larger population, it's population is growing faster, sudan's huge economic growth is mostly concentrated in khartoum.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
To be honest its nairobi coz befor karthoum gets to where nairobi is and then surpass it, it might be in 25 yrs coz also remember the economic growth rate in kenya is 6.1% and expected to get higher by the end of next year. plus kenya has countries that depend on her economically and politically and that is why the economy is so hot without oil. kenya also does not have a darfur infact a settled southern sudan is good news for business coz the the kenyan multinationals will flock in just like in uganda, rwanda, burundi, congo, tanzania, and the crime rate in nairobi will go down so for now i will go with nairobi, and then throw a settled and strong somalia into the mix and nairobi is infested with big businesses and skyscrapers.

·
Banned
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be honest its nairobi coz befor karthoum gets to where nairobi is and then surpass it, it might be in 25 yrs coz also remember the economic growth rate in kenya is 6.1% and expected to get higher by the end of next year. plus kenya has countries that depend on her economically and politically and that is why the economy is so hot without oil. kenya also does not have a darfur infact a settled southern sudan is good news for business coz the the kenyan multinationals will flock in just like in uganda, rwanda, burundi, congo, tanzania, and the crime rate in nairobi will go down so for now i will go with nairobi, and then throw a settled and strong somalia into the mix and nairobi is infested with big businesses and skyscrapers.
depending in other countries is a very risky economical strategy (at least in an unstable continent like africa). the only reason nairobi is the center of east africa is bcz other cities are not as developed. when khartoum catches up with nairobi there will be no need for nairobi.

oh and sudan growth rate this year is 13%....thats twice more than kenya

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I'll have to say nairobi. I say this primarily because Nairobi has access to investments from all over the world a little more so than Sudan, which still has to deal with the scorn it is getting from the westover this whole Darfur thing.
Doesn't that lend Nairobi a slight advantage with regards to becoming the capital of East Africa? For that, Khartoum would have to become a center for conventions, business deals, and other major international things from all over the world. In that regard, its kind of already at a bit of a disadvantage compared to nairobi because Nairobi is already a center for many international relations in East Africa, and furthermore does not have any stigmas over its head that could last for a while.

·
Banned
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll have to say nairobi. I say this primarily because Nairobi has access to investments from all over the world a little more so than Sudan, which still has to deal with the scorn it is getting from the westover this whole Darfur thing.
Doesn't that lend Nairobi a slight advantage with regards to becoming the capital of East Africa? For that, Khartoum would have to become a center for conventions, business deals, and other major international things from all over the world. In that regard, its kind of already at a bit of a disadvantage compared to nairobi because Nairobi is already a center for many international relations in East Africa, and furthermore does not have any stigmas over its head that could last for a while.
the problem with nairobi is that it could grow but it could never booooom..

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
it cant boom? look at the upperhill and westlands before you say that. i like the way you view this topic though. you will have to sort out the mess in darfur which will be like 5 yrs and then convince the international community it all good in sudan for those guyz to come running. even the peace talks ceasefire signings btn khartoum and darfur took place in Kenya, waht i am saying is that khartoum is starting at a very huge minus to give it 15 yrs to be better than the green city under the sun. my friend its like saying that in 15 yrs luanda will be ahead of durban, luanda will be close but durban will still have an edge over luanda because of reputation. plus khartoum heavily relies on oil while nairobi is diverse, if the oil market is not good the sudan economy slows down. trust me friend if nigeria was totally depending on oil, the african giant would still be deep asleep. khartoum needs diversity which as of right now it doesnt have.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
dont forget that lamu kenya migh have oil and gas and we will find out by the next five years. assuming you know kenya, just imagine what will happen to the kenyan economy when oil money starts flowing in i mean the economy is already red hot without oil money. in uganda they have discovered oil and it will have to be exported through mombasa so which ever way you look at it its going to take way more than five years for khartoum to be more advanced than nairobi economically

·
Banned
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it cant boom? look at the upperhill and westlands before you say that. i like the way you view this topic though. you will have to sort out the mess in darfur which will be like 5 yrs and then convince the international community it all good in sudan for those guyz to come running. even the peace talks ceasefire signings btn khartoum and darfur took place in Kenya, waht i am saying is that khartoum is starting at a very huge minus to give it 15 yrs to be better than the green city under the sun. my friend its like saying that in 15 yrs luanda will be ahead of durban, luanda will be close but durban will still have an edge over luanda because of reputation. plus khartoum heavily relies on oil while nairobi is diverse, if the oil market is not good the sudan economy slows down. trust me friend if nigeria was totally depending on oil, the african giant would still be deep asleep. khartoum needs diversity which as of right now it doesnt have.
what's happening in nairobi is called growth and not booming.

sudan is already growing with a bad reputation bcz it's now attracting investment and attention from people who doesn't care about reputation...aka the asians and arabs now imagine what would happen when the darfur crisis is solved (sudan attracted nearly 4 billion dollar of foreign investment in 2006).....by the way sudan has already accepted a joint U.N and A.U peace keeping force now all we are waiting on is a political peace wich is expected to occurr in the juba conference.
the current sudanese regime won't even last for long and when they're gone and western comapnies come in then nairobi wouldn't stand a chance.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
the current sudanese regime won't even last for long and when they're gone and western comapnies come in then nairobi wouldn't stand a chance.
No offense, mate, but I just don't see that happening anytime soon. Saying that somehow Nairobi just doesn't stand a chance seems unrealistic, when it is at the present already basically the capital of East Africa with a high growth rate and good relations with the west. Sudan has a lot of catching up to do in that regard.

It just doesn't seem logical to just say that Nairobi is almost a lock to be behind Khartoum...the facts just don't seem to bare that out. Do you really think that these western companies(especially if oil is found in kenya, which it likely will be) will choose Sudan, a nation with which they have had more difficult relations with, over Kenya, a nation that has always traditionally been on good terms with the west and a nation that already hosts a good share of these western companies as it is?

You gotta be realistic, dude. Khartoum will grow, but it doesn't seem right to predict it somehow just completely outdoing Nairobi any time soon.

·
Mister One Million
5,485 Posts
Nairobi will be dominant. Kenya's economic growth is much more diversified, requiring a more developed workforce and a more developed commercial sector. Kenya has stability, while Sudan has instability in the West, the East, and the South remains unsettled (as the government has not met all of its obligations to the south yet). Also, Kenya is a liberal, open, and free society; while Sudan remains trapped by Islamic authoritarianism. Authoritarianism stifles innovation and development and allows corruption to continue.
oh and sudan growth rate this year is 13%....thats twice more than kenya
Sudan's growth is almost all in the energy sector. Whereas the growth in Kenya is real grassroots development.

·
Banned
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nairobi will be dominant. Kenya's economic growth is much more diversified, requiring a more developed workforce and a more developed commercial sector. Kenya has stability, while Sudan has instability in the West, the East, and the South remains unsettled (as the government has not met all of its obligations to the south yet). Also, Kenya is a liberal, open, and free society; while Sudan remains trapped by Islamic authoritarianism. Authoritarianism stifles innovation and development and allows corruption to continue.
Sudan's growth is almost all in the energy sector. Whereas the growth in Kenya is real grassroots development.
sudan oil outupt will remain the same this year....

i think kenya is more diversed than alot of cities but that doesn't make it more wealthy.....e.g dubai...doha...etc.

actually our islamic goverment is fake.......lol
sudan is not a saudi arabia or iran people do whatever they like...lol
and like i said again this goverment will not last long....inshallah.

there is stability in all of sudan except in the west which is not even felt in khartoum bcz sudan is so large

·
Banned
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No offense, mate, but I just don't see that happening anytime soon. Saying that somehow Nairobi just doesn't stand a chance seems unrealistic,

You gotta be realistic, dude. Khartoum will grow, but it doesn't seem right to predict it somehow just completely outdoing Nairobi any time soon.
that was afigure of speech.....

i am not underestimating nairobi........

anyways this is just pure espuclation

·
South East Nine
39,954 Posts
15 years from now which one would be the power house of east africa....
NAIROBI OR KHARTOUM

i think khartoum would be on top bcz there is more construction projects and more foreign investment, a larger population, it's population is growing faster, sudan's huge economic growth is mostly concentrated in khartoum.
Nairobi has a larger population than Khartoum. If you include Khartoum, Khartoum North and Omdurman, then their populations are equal.

The population of Sudan and Kenya has a difference of just 1 million.

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
I'm Placing my bet on Khartoum. I think Africa's hottest spots in 2017 will be Khartoum, Cairo and Luanda. Sudan's economy is booming, and Khartoum is packed with Cranes, so I see no Reason why Khartoum won't be the Power House of East Africa, I would say Power House of North and East Africa, but There's Cairo to take into consideration.:)

·
Banned
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nairobi has a larger population than Khartoum. If you include Khartoum, Khartoum North and Omdurman, then their populations are equal.

The population of Sudan and Kenya has a difference of just 1 million.
sudan's population is actually 40 million...

kenya's is around 36 million if i am not mistaken..

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Interesting!...these violence in Dafur seems not to hold khartoum down at all cz business activities going on is just as usual.though Kenya is the dominant now an very promising country.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Of course it will be Khartoum.
At this trend,in 2010 Khartoum will surpass Nairobi.
There is massive renewing of roads,electricity transmission,water sewage...
There is a middle class population which is growing...there are a lot of sudanese compagny manned by sudanese engineer and manager and the government make sure that they take part in reconstruction.

Nairobi will be dominant. Kenya's economic growth is much more diversified, requiring a more developed workforce and a more developed commercial sector.
This was true,but the trend is changing fastly...there is a growing petrochemical industry which is developping,there are big steel,copper,pipe processing unit in GIAD.There are even cars,truck,tractor assembly lines in GIAD wich is producing thousands of vehicules...and with introduction of merowe dam,there will be big agricultural project...
There are even giant compagny like national telecom compagny sudatel with a capitalisation of 1.2 billions and last year,they have bought a 70 millions dollar license in mauritania for developping 3G telephony.
All businnessmen in sudan are saying thats its now the best period to do businness in sudan.
Every day,we hear of new big projects,like the a giant refinery in port sudan...
For developpement workforce,i dont think its true,there are "good" university,the proof is the thousands of sudanese who are working in gulf country...

Kenya is a liberal, open, and free society; while Sudan remains trapped by Islamic authoritarianism. Authoritarianism stifles innovation and development and allows corruption to continue.
It means nothing,looks at China,its an authoriatarian regime ...look at japan,its considered a close society whose population speaks only japanese...
Beeing "liberal and open" doesnt guarantee you of developping....

For the investment,sudan has proved it can solely rely on Asian and arabs.Chinese,malaysian,indian,gulf country are awash of money,and are looking for new opportunity everywhere in the world,and unlike the past,they are investing in developping countries specially true for gulf countries.

For that, Khartoum would have to become a center for conventions, business deals, and other major international things from all over the world. In that regard, its kind of already at a bit of a disadvantage compared to nairobi because Nairobi is already a center for many international relations in East Africa, and furthermore does not have any stigmas over its head that could last for a while.
This is becoming true,this year have witness a lot of african meeting (comesa,inteliigence chief...).
With the new al mogran project,new international aiport,Khartoum will take a leading role in commercial and financiary affairs in east africa.

If the US,doesnt destroy Sudan like they did in iraq,Khartoum will surpass all other capitals in africa in 2010

·
23,157 Posts
i really cant see nairobi being surpassed in a mere 15 years, that is very wishful thinking based on an idea that massive capital flows will flood into sudan in a non oil focussed sense. being a centre of power is not 1 dimensional, your economy needs to be a leader in countless fields. Kenya is just that. Every nation hs room for improvement anf i believe that kenya and hence nairobi will continue on its growth path and with correct policies and decisions will grow far faster than it is at present.

Kenya is stable, sudan is far far from that. to think stability on a mass scale can be achieved in 15 years is ambitious. If sudan can make good decisions it may play catch up, but i'm thinking a 25-30 year time frame, if not longer

1 - 20 of 213 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.