SkyscraperCity Forum banner
381 - 400 of 1835 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #381 · (Edited)
Dear Why-Why, thank you for this wonderful update - it really makes me happy! :eek:kay:

The Laking Garden - the most beautiful and rich iris collection I've ever seen.
Yes, Van Gogh would have loved this! :)

You made breathtaking pictures of that beauties.
My favourite is the dark "Before the Storm" - the name really fits. ;)

Also love the information you give to the pictures!
Thanks, Silvia. These colours make me happy too!

And now a few more from the Laking Garden ...

Laking Garden 2: Miscellany

Peonies #1

(Not-so-) Bloody cranesbill

The gazebo

A professional flower photographer

High water on Sunfish Pond

The High-Level Bridge over the Desjardins Canal

Stonecrop

Siberian irises

An early clematis

Orange poppies

Coral bells (a.k.a. alumroot)

Peonies #2

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #387 · (Edited)
How nice to log in here and find your beautiful update from Laking Garden, Why-Why! :)

My special favorits are the first peonies, clematis, poppies and the coral bells (great picture!). :eek:kay:
Skopje/Скопје;140758467 said:
Great and very colorful set!
Sunny and colorful updates. Flower Power! :banana:
an amazing garden :eek:kay: :cheers:
Wow! Wonderful gardens, Why-Why!
It is really a pleasure to look at those images of beautiful flowers. Walking between them should be a great experience.
Many thanks, Silvia, George, Ben, Leon, and Roberto! Those Laking irises really are dazzling.

And now an area colourful in a more figurative sense ...

The Hamilton Beach Strip 1

Hamilton Beach is the continuation of Burlington Beach south of the Burlington Canal.

It takes up five of the seven kilometres of the narrow sandbar dividing Hamilton Harbour from Lake Ontario.

The sandy beach, which I showed in my photos of early April, has been submerged since late April thanks to unprecedented rainfall.

Inshore from the transmission towers is a paved multi-use trail ...

... and the Burlington Skyway looms over everything.

Some wayside benches offer a hazy view of the distant towers of downtown Toronto ...

... and from others you can contemplate an empty horizon.

Where the sandbar widens, there are charming little roads like Fifth Avenue, with the Lake at one end ...

... and Beach Boulevard, which resembles a pleasant suburban street, at the other.
You wouldn’t guess you were on a narrow sandbar straddling two large bodies of water.
The hose crossing the sidewalk and puddle by the kerb are the only clues that the area is recovering from serious flooding.

From Beach Boulevard there aren’t many good views westward over Hamilton Harbour.
But perhaps that’s as well, because if there were, you’d see something like this.

People who live on Beach Boulevard cherish their view of the Lake.
But because there’s a public trail running behind their property, that view is hardly private.
Meanwhile, those of us walking the trail can’t help noticing the great view of residents’ back yards.

Some of those back yards are neat and tidy ...

... while others are more ... interesting!

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #391 · (Edited)
^^ :lol:

Both love your pics and your commentary, Why-Why! :eek:kay:

Two of my favs are the bench pics - with and without people.
Skopje/Скопје;140812416 said:
My favorite photo from this set.
Lovely update! :applause:
Many thanks, Silvia, George, and Roman!

One more short set from the Strip ...

Hamilton Beach Strip 2: A Walk on the Weird Side

You have to be a bit out-of-the-ordinary to live in the shadow of a huge steel bridge and a set of giant transmission towers on a 7-km-long, 250-metre-wide glacial sandbar dividing two large bodies of water.

Beach Boulevardiers celebrate their out-of-the-ordinariness, and even have their own bumper sticker.

Fancy living in a castle? On Beach Boulevard that’s no problem.

Love birds? Here you can love them as much as you like.

Tired of garden gnomes? Surround yourself with dwarfs.

Love trains? Build a short track in your own front yard.

Love old boats? Plenty of room for your collection in the back yard ...

... though not everyone on Beach Boulevard is a happy-go-lucky bohemian.

·
Assistant to Yellow Fever
9,992 Posts
Those new updates have a great charm, Why-Why.
One of my favorites is the beachfront bench.
It is really out of the ordinary.
What would happen if the neighbor in front of you hates the house of your dreams and he has to see your house every day. :lol:

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #398 · (Edited)
Many thanks for your feedback Silvia, Igor, Roberto, capricorn, madonnagirl, and Jane. The free-spirited Beach Strip is very appealing, though I fear that rising water levels may endanger the quality of life for its inhabitants.

And now it's time to take to the woods again ...

Spring Creek Trail 1

It’s been a cool and exceptionally wet summer so far.
So on this rare fine day, let’s seize the chance to revisit the Spring Creek Trail in the beautiful Dundas Valley.

Spring Creek Trail, 4.5 km long, is a linear trail from the centre of Dundas into the heart of the Valley.
It’s not spectacular, but it has all the restorative qualities you hope for from a walk in the summer woods.

Spring Creek, which runs through a ravine, is a tributary of Spencer Creek, and we’ll follow it upstream out of town (and return the way we came).
We might meet the occasional dog walker or mountain biker but otherwise we'll be alone, so more likely to have some interesting close encounters with nature.

The first part of the trail is bordered by tall flowers in white and shades of purple ...

It looks like phlox but it’s actually dame’s rocket (Hesperis matronalis), an invasive species from the Old World. We’ll forgive this invader.

And what’s that snow-covered bush on the right?

The wild roses are in bloom!

Everywhere there are damselflies flaunting their electric blue bodies.
Unlike their relatives the dragonflies, they hold their wings up vertically when resting.

This one that's alighted on the path reveals its long, ten-segmented body.

And continuing the blue theme ... I was lucky to capture this indigo bunting (Passerina cyanea) on film. They’re not rare in these parts but they’re usually rather shy.
This male was singing his heart out on a branch, ignoring me and my camera.

[To be continued]

381 - 400 of 1835 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.