SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered Menace
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
just some pics of the city and surrounding area i drive past regularly, Houston is a big commuter town. HOPE YOU ENJOY!

I-10E heading towards town

approaching downtown

one for the writers out there

on i-45 going to my wifes graduation at UH.

University of Houston

okay let go back to downtown

houston has parking!

A different angle

feeling a little blue. tenneco in background. texas' tallest building

tenneco up close

check the reflection

pennzoil builing i think other peak is bank of america building (on left)

pennzoil street level. another good reflection

a park around the corner.

i love this little condo reno her on the right. it has big windows on the west view behind it

heading back out of town now

a couple from by my office

more to come later...

·
Registered
332 Posts
Awesome pictures! I really like the picture looking towards the Galleria with the freeways.
The (I'm guessing) Katy freeway looks pretty good as well.

·
Banned
2,144 Posts
^^Are there any plans of light rail or something like it? It's stupid to keep expanding these freeways. There's almost no public transportation in/to the Katy area.

·
Registered Menace
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^^Are there any plans of light rail or something like it? It's stupid to keep expanding these freeways. There's almost no public transportation in/to the Katy area.
no lite rail or any type of train system talk going out to katy. that would be a great idea but does not seem like it will happen anytime soon. honestly i keep saying that same thing to myself. trains would make houston into the great metropolis that it should be.

·
Banned
2,144 Posts
That's unfortunate. I can't even fathom how many cars could potentially be off the road because of this, as the people I've met in Katy almost all work in Houston and could easily take it to work.

Are there any plans at all for a light rail system here? I know there's a short route through downtown, but it needs to be extended to connect the whole city.

·
Registered Menace
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's unfortunate. I can't even fathom how many cars could potentially be off the road because of this, as the people I've met in Katy almost all work in Houston and could easily take it to work.

Are there any plans at all for a light rail system here? I know there's a short route through downtown, but it needs to be extended to connect the whole city.

naw, dude there used to be rail lines going all the way down i-10 when i was a kid for commercial use. they easily could have been used for pedestrians but instead they were ripped up when the freeway exapnsion was approved. some how 10-12 lanes of freeway is better then a couple of train lines that were already installed. If they could ever figure how a rail line would benefit our city we could be poppin like chicago or nyc or something. plus metro sucks! so no one uses it unless they have to.

and really the only reason lite rail is downtown was cause of the superbowl in 2005. they had to have certain levels of public transit to shuttle people around.

·
Registered Menace
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
as promised, i have some new night shots of downtown houston and other areas that were taken on 7/17/2009. enjoy.

sunset

all yellow lights here. so proceed with caution. images may cause fits of joy and exhilaration, lol.

the purple sky is natural

a little density here

zoom!

looking the other way. i really like the building with the yellow tower on top. i dont know what it is though. i need to find that out.

and the tour continues down the street

houston's answer to the chicago bean, lol

same photo but hdr render

now for some train streaking!

main street square

main place. houstons newest scraper downtown. i actually meet one of the field mgr for the site on this night too. cool guy.

different view looking the other way

cookie anyone?

these people looked they were having a good night

the bee hive looking thing is a water fountain

some nice neon action

similar shot but still cool

I LOVE THIS ONE! the graffiti and the checker print rock.

A couple more from the way home...

new freeway construction

new hospital construction

that home on the left by the green lights

hope you enjoyed the tour.

stay posted for new updates!

·
world citizen
1,526 Posts
Houston, we've a problem!!! :lol:

Great pics brow, should be a great town to live..

·
Texas-NoVA
2,265 Posts

Right now, no. But be patient. It's time will come. They are currently expanding the light rail system though. But not to Katy.

·
3rd Coast
1,123 Posts
Yep they have started on 2 new rail lines. I don't know why he told you that there wasnt any new lines planned and that the current rails only purpose is for the superbowl.

But sounds like something typical from someone who lives way the hell in the country. No offense.

·
Registered Menace
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^^

thats cool. i wish they had bigger plans then just two rail lines, maybe some elevated action. that would be nice and ease tons of traffic. really, i wish they woulnt have ripped up the opld lines they had running down i-10 out to katy, but we needed a bigger freeway :lol:. but im sure one day someone will get it together.

i heard about a new 50 story scraper thats supposed to be going up soon by the same people making mainplace. i forgot where it was going up though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts