1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
#mindtheliverpool
5,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Hardly anyone knows about the little jewel, that Monschau is. That's why I find it amazing, that someone from Britain made all the way there. :)
I didn't know, that Monschau had a French name up until the 20th century, so I learned something new too.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I visited Monschau for the time 1982 while I was an exchange student in Schluetern in Hesse. It is indeed a lovely town...it is a bit hidden, in a valley along a river. Very compact and poetic; I felt as though I had been transported back to a time before world wars rocked Europe.

·
Registered
523 Posts
...it is one of the most beautiful towns in the Rhineland region, or maybe just in Germany
Germany is one of the most beautiful countries at all, and there should be more than 100 such lovely small tows here. Even many Germans don't know them. On the other hand we've also to remember that there are over 12,000 castles and palaces in Germany, many in fantastic shape too.

Good eye, by the way. Your angles and crops are really excellent!

·
#mindtheliverpool
5,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Germany is one of the most beautiful countries at all, and there should be more than 100 such lovely small tows here. Even many Germans don't know them. On the other hand we've also to remember that there are over 12,000 castles and palaces in Germany, many in fantastic shape too.

Good eye, by the way. Your angles and crops are really excellent!
Wow! Just beautiful town!
beautiful, indeed!

==========================================

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I didn't know, that Monschau had a French name up until the 20th century, so I learned something new too.
It's not a french name rather than latin (first named as "Mons Ioci", mons=mountain=Berg). It just sounds a bit like french. Thats why Wilhelm II. changed it. Actually it's meaning is kinda unclear.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
It's not a french name rather than latin (first named as "Mons Ioci", mons=mountain=Berg). It just sounds a bit like french. Thats why Wilhelm II. changed it. Actually it's meaning is kinda unclear.
Ah, I see... :) Close to here in Saarland there are still a few towns or borrows with French names. I think, it's kinda cool, they never changed names. :)

·
#mindtheliverpool
5,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bernkastel

Bernkastel-Kues lies in the Moselle valley, roughly 50 km (31 mi) from Trier. The greatest elevation is the Olymp (415 m above sea level), and the lowest point (107 m above sea level) lies on the Moselle’s banks. The municipal area totals 23 657 101 m², of which 7 815 899 m² is used for agriculture, thereby making Bernkastel-Kues one of the Middle Moselle’s biggest towns by land area.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts