SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 378 Posts

·
#mindtheliverpool
5,232 Posts
Vilnius is the capital of Lithuania and its largest city, with a population of 539,939 as of 2014. Vilnius is located in the southeast part of Lithuania and is the second largest city of the Baltic states.

Vilnius is the seat of the Vilnius City Municipality and of the Vilnius District Municipality. It is also the capital of Vilnius County. The first known written record of Vilnius as the Lithuanian capital is known from Gediminas' letters in 1323.

Vilnius is classified as a Gamma global city according to GaWC studies, and is known for its Old Town of beautiful architecture, declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1994. Its Jewish influence until the 20th century has led to it being described as the "Jerusalem of Lithuania" and Napoleon named it "the Jerusalem of the North" as he was passing through in 1812. In 2009, Vilnius was the European Capital of Culture, together with the Austrian city of Linz.

Oslo(Norway) & Brugge_Ghent_Leuven(Belgium) I

Toulon_Marseille(France) I Beautiful_England I Germany I

Lake_District I Ireland I Amsterdam, Valkenburg I

Bath_Gloucester I Caernarfon I Llandudno&GoldWings I

Conwy_Castle

·
Illustrator
6,809 Posts
I visited Vilnius some weeks ago, previously I have only been to Riga and Tallinn. I will also make a thread about it. Vilnius is really underrated, good prices, nice historical buildings, parks etc. :)
Your plane was flying really close to the old town it seems!

·
#mindtheliverpool
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lovely city! more photos, please :)
thank you mate! I've seen many ukrainian tourists on the streets of Vilnius.

Great, very nice start about Vilnius; i am looking forward for the rest of your photos :cheers:
thank you Christos! :cheers:

Maybe my favourite Baltic city. I loved the young atmosphere, the nice and tasty restaurants and the cyclists. Great pics from the plane! :eek:kay:
thanks Benonie! I watched your Baltic thread, I love it.

I visited Vilnius some weeks ago, previously I have only been to Riga and Tallinn. I will also make a thread about it. Vilnius is really underrated, good prices, nice historical buildings, parks etc. :)
Your plane was flying really close to the old town it seems!
cheers mate! I love architecture of Riga and beautiful Tallinn, but Vilnius is my favourite.
our plane probably showed me the place which I must see LOL.
p.s. it will really nice to see your Vilnius I will definitely subscribe to your thread.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
:eek:kay::eek:kay:..I would love too see all your pix from your trip...but you have maybe posted your most worthy.....nice start. I was surprised too see the US like sprawl from the air!!!..:uh::eek::shocked:

·
#mindtheliverpool
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:eek:kay::eek:kay:..I would love too see all your pix from your trip...but you have maybe posted your most worthy.....nice start. I was surprised too see the US like sprawl from the air!!!..:uh::eek::shocked:
thank you for your attention, much appreciated.

=============================================

Oslo(Norway) & Brugge_Ghent_Leuven(Belgium) I Toulon_Marseille(France) I Beautiful_England I Germany I

Lake_District I Ireland I Amsterdam, Valkenburg I Bath_Gloucester I Caernarfon I Llandudno&GoldWings I Conwy_Castle

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
I'm so impressed with the lots of green patches even in the old area and I would love
to see some shots at street level of those heritage buildings with great architecture
and the nice looking people that make the city lovely and vibrant.

·
#mindtheliverpool
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nice photo series - started from the plane down to grown level.
lovely city specially the older section....and the high rises are equally nice.
thank you!

You really do get to a lot of different places. Nice shots.
thanks Paul!

I'm so impressed with the lots of green patches even in the old area and I would love
to see some shots at street level of those heritage buildings with great architecture
and the nice looking people that make the city lovely and vibrant.
thanks a lot! I will try.

============================================

wasn't me! ha-ha!

Oslo(Norway) & Brugge_Ghent_Leuven(Belgium) I Toulon_Marseille(France) I Beautiful_England I Germany I

Lake_District I Ireland I Amsterdam, Valkenburg I Bath_Gloucester I Caernarfon I Llandudno&GoldWings I Conwy_Castle

·
#mindtheliverpool
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
#mindtheliverpool
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
very nice shots and the heritage area is full of characters.
thank you!
it's a hidden gem in Vilnius. the concept is really funny and creative. nice cafes, restaurants, galleries and shops. The atmosphere here is very nice and calming. This republic had its own rules, one of them is: everyone has the right to live by the river Vilnelė, and the river Vilnelė has the right to flow by everyone.. isn't that just great? :cheers:

========================================

Lake_District I Ireland I Amsterdam, Valkenburg I Bath_Gloucester I Caernarfon I Llandudno&GoldWings I Conwy_Castle I Vilnius, Lithuania

1 - 20 of 378 Posts