Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello forumers,

I'll be in your fair city 16AUG for approximately 8 hours (4-11pm), whilst on a layover en-route to Argentina. Knowing this forum is the go-to place for all things Miami and urban, I felt it was appropriate to ask here if anybody would be so kind enough to show me around the main attractions and urban areas of the city?

I'm from Los Angeles, I'm easy-going and easy to get along with, and I have a reputation on here, SSP and flickr, amongst other sites, for being a devout street photographer (here is some of my work). That said, I'd like to know if it is possible to maybe get in a few shots of Miami, particularly its people, but also to see the products of the recent high-rise "boom". Lastly, no visit to Miami is complete with a meal at one of the numerous, excellent Cuban eateries...so I'd like to do that, too, if possible, of course.

Any and all responses welcome..

Best,
KingoftheHill

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Hello forumers,

I'll be in your fair city 16AUG for approximately 8 hours (4-11pm), whilst on a layover en-route to Argentina. Knowing this forum is the go-to place for all things Miami and urban, I felt it was appropriate to ask here if anybody would be so kind enough to show me around the main attractions and urban areas of the city?

I'm from Los Angeles, I'm easy-going and easy to get along with, and I have a reputation on here, SSP and flickr, amongst other sites, for being a devout street photographer (here is some of my work). That said, I'd like to know if it is possible to maybe get in a few shots of Miami, particularly its people, but also to see the products of the recent high-rise "boom". Lastly, no visit to Miami is complete with a meal at one of the numerous, excellent Cuban eateries...so I'd like to do that, too, if possible, of course.

Any and all responses welcome..

Best,
KingoftheHill
Many people would say you can't come to Miami, without going to South Beach, but with your short time, and based on what you're looking for, you could just skip it all together. If you want to see urban and people, go to Brickell, and you'll see lots of passerbys along Miami Avenue dining and what not.

If you want to eat Cuban, I suggest you take a bus from Brickell (or MIA) down SW 8th St, and you'll go along the heart of Little Havana (Calle Ocho, aka: SW 8th St). On 8th Street and Douglas Road, is a well-established Cuban restaurant that everyone always goes to called "La Carreta", you can look it up on Google maps so you can give yourself a good idea of how to plan out your day. Best of luck, and welcome to Miami! :)

·
One Brickell CityCentre
13,121 Posts
Many people would say you can't come to Miami, without going to South Beach, but with your short time, and based on what you're looking for, you could just skip it all together. If you want to see urban and people, go to Brickell, and you'll see lots of passerbys along Miami Avenue dining and what not.
Plus in Brickell Village, you'll be near a lot of skyscrapers.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3561/3590714791_dce3f7b48f_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3310/3590714797_50bdee6c23_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3637/3590714809_3cffcb855b_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3624/3590714801_ce90e98d26_b.jpg

·
One Brickell CityCentre
13,121 Posts

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
Thanks, guys..but, 130+ views and a paltry 2 replies?
Maybe if it was a little clearer how much time you'll actually have. If it's an "arriving at 4 and departing at 11" timeframe you'll really only have four hours or so given that you have to be back at MIA by 9:00 for an International flight. That's a VERY limited amount of time. If you have the full 7 or 8 hours, that's a bit different.

Either way, the suggestions already made are good ones as neither locale will be too far away from the airport. Versailles might be an option for Cuban, too. It's a bit on the touristy side but lots of fun and very close to MIA---as is La Carretta. If you had more time I'd say head over to a place like Islas Canarias for truly kick-ass Cuban but it's too far away given your itinerary and not in a part of town you'd probably find interesting.

Anyplace in Coral Gables would also be doable for you, but you'd have to choose an 'either/or' with that versus downtown. Won't have time for both.

Hope you have fun!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I guess I'm going to have to pipe in and say that with only 8 hours to spend in Miami I would DEFINITELY head over to South Beach. It is justifiably a tourist and local mecca because it is THE quintessentially unique Miami experience. You've got the famous beach, the fabulous hotels, the amazing tropical art deco architecture and its history, the sidewalk restaurants, the amazing urban culture, nightlife, diversity, fabulous-ness, glamor, grit, and the quirkiness that is Miami all wrapped up in a supremely walkable square mile. :nuts: It is truly one of the most unique urban experiences in the world.
Park yourself and have a drink in one of the main strands. Each has its own vibe:

Lincoln Road
- cosmopolitan/urban - Cheapest beer on the beach at
$4 at Zeke's
including imports from almost any country in the world!:cheers:

Ocean Drive - casual/beach/hip hop - best place to catch a bite would be Front Porch.

Espanola Way - Euro/Boho - It's a tiny area, but if you didn't know better you'd feel like you were somewhere in Spain.

You can eat good Cuban Food and eat cheaply at Puerto Sagua on Collins and 7th.

You can't go to Miami without having Cuban Coffee. It's a ritual. You'll understand why everyone seems like they are on jet fuel. You can get one at any street service window on the beach. The best however is at David's Cafe - across from Starbucks- A better espresso for just $1! Note: order a "cafecito" for a thimble full of sweet goodness, a "colada" if you are sharing, or a "cortadito" if you want it with milk.

If you haven't already exhausted all your time here are are a couple of other suggestions:

the Holocaust Memorial on Meridian - one of the best. Quite moving and sobering.

the Delano Hotel - just because it's still fabulous after all these years.

South Point Park- watch some of the biggest cruise ships in the world go out of port from 4-5 Friday - Monday.

If you still have time, head back to Downtown and take the Metromover which will take you on a elevated rail tour of Brickell and the Central Business District and you can witness the explosive growth we've had in the past decade. Take a look see at Mary Brickell Village. I believe the posts above have already covered it. The area is great and getting better, however it's not not truly unique in the US as far as street life goes. Many cities have districts like this. Do yourself a favor and just go to South Beach. Get it done and then decide if its not your cup of tea.

Cab fare is a flat set rate of $32 to South Beach. You can catch Super Shuttle for $19 but it will make multiple stops.

I must also warn you that South Beach and Miami are expensive to live and play in, so be prepared for the sticker shock. Also, please be aware that most restaurants and bars routinely add 15% gratuity to the bill because of the large numbers of Europeans that visit.

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
I guess I'm going to have to pipe in and say that with only 8 hours to spend in Miami I would DEFINITELY head over to South Beach.
Agreed. No question about it. Sunday is family day otherwise I'd be happy to provide a tour, but you definitely should do South Beach.

Take the $32 cab straight to South Pointe Park, Hargraves just completed the renovation and you are sure to find great angles of the Miami City Skyline, boats, cruise ships, kids playing in the fountains, locales walking their dogs, tourists on rented bikes etc. Walk east to the beach and Atlantic Ocean for shots of kite flyer's, surfers, (modeling shoots if not on Sunday). As you move north on the sand for 15 blocks or so volleyball players, professional sand castle builders will be on the beach with the World Famous Art Deco District on your left. At 15th Street head West to Espanola Way for a Spanish village feel, then walk north 3 blocks or so to Lincoln Road. Sunday's on Lincoln Road has a market with fresh local produce, antiques, Art Deco artifacts, and other what nots. You are sure to want to spend some time there.

Every place that sobchbud has mentioned is spot on.
Your cab ride will take 15 minutes, and to walk from South Pointe to Lincoln Road will likely take an hour if you take your time. But you will probably want to stop and take in the scenery.

If you can pull yourself away from South Beach, then the cab ride to Downtown is about $15 or there are dozens of buses from SoBe to downtown.
Judging from the excellent pictures you've made, you'd love Bayside marketplace. It's a waterfront/marina front shopping area where you will find plenty of people. Walk to the waterfront and head south through the park and along the bay front for more great people, skyscrapers, green space, and boats.

That is a realistic tour for your time, and gives you a good taste of what Miami in the daytime is like. There is plenty more to see, but that should be a good teaser.

Reactions: ChuckScraperMiami#1

·
One Brickell CityCentre
13,121 Posts
consensus is that south beach extends from south pointe to at least the gansevoort north
That would include everything within the 33139 postal code, the Gansevoort being the northern most boundary near one of the places where I used to live. I thought about meeting you somewhere, but then I see that is a day I have to work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts