SkyscraperCity banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning to visit Chicago for the first time this summer, but unfortunately will have to put off the trip. Having only lived on the coasts and overseas, I never really gave much thought to the city until coming to this website. It seems like an interesting place, and I have to say my curiosity is piqued.

But from the photos, I have to say it reminds me a lot of NYC. The skyscraper district of midtown or downtown, and the outskirts of Queens or Brooklyn. From photos, (and certainly from visiting) one can get a sense of how for instance SF, Boston, LA, Miami and Washington are all quite different from NY. In what ways would you say the look or feel of Chicago is unique?

·
Banned
568 Posts
they might look similar but the two are very different.
i've lived in both cities and it all comes down to preference

fast pace vs moderate etc....
i prefer nyc due to its overwhelming feeling, fashion, culture, nightlife, etc..
however i must say chicago is more relaxing and laid back, giving it a comfort boost over nyc

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I agree with Evangelion, Chicago is remarkably down-to-earth for such a huge city. It doesn't have that don't-look-at-anyone feel that you get from NYC and other megalopolises.

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
Its actually relax for a city of nearly 3 million.

Plus if you are tired of Chicago, drive an hour up I-94 to another underrated city, Milwaukee.

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
NY is about 3 times the size of Chicago, hows that for a differance?
i love both cities. lived in both as well and so i can somwhat agree with you chicago and ny do have a simular feeling. when i cam back to chicago after living in NY for 2 years i didnt feel like i switched cities that much.but there are dif.
I found NY to be (in some locations) a more 24 hour city were chicago is pretty much an arguably 22-23 hour city. doesent sound like much but it makes a dif.
the rest of chicago doesent realy get much taller than 3-4 stories outside dountown and lake shore areas were as in new york you can find mid-rise buldings throughout the five bouros.
NY is far more dence . chicago isent as dence but make up for it in quality.new york is not one landmass so it has a dif. feel geographicly than chicago (im not realy saying things you dont know btw)
a huge dif. i noticed is the cleanlyness of chicago made me realize how durty ny is.(no offence guys)
if i think of more ill let you know later,im to tired now its already 4:07 am

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
Aren't the towers on Lake Shore Drive, along the north part of the coast of Michigan in Chicago full of tall residental buildings???

(everything right of the john hancock is not in downtown)

·
Registered
279 Posts
I think one of the biggest differences is how much sunlight there is on the sidewalks, at least when you compare places like Midtown and River North. The Loop/LaSalle Street and Downtown/WallStreet areas are very similar, except for street layout.

Another difference is the fact that New York is divided into very distinct sections, Manhattan, Brooklyn, Staten Island, Queens....whereas Chicago is like all boroughs shoved next to eachother.

For example on Puerto Rican Pride Day, the low-riding flag waving vehicles in Chicago's Humboldt Park neighborhood cruise east through Wicker Park and then on to Lincoln Park and downtown. That would be like guys from Queens swinging through SoHo and Wall Street all in 10 -20 minutes.

There are no major bridges/rivers dividing the various "sides"/districts of Chicago.

It's all on one grid. So try to imagine ALL of NYC (and most of the NY and NJ suburbs for that matter) on Manhattan's Grid. That's Chicago...divided in half of course.

and then there's the lake, the yin to the yang....

·
Registered
279 Posts
oh, and Chicago has alleys, even downtown, whereas in Manhattan, buildings are usually back to back.

And in general, Chicago is much more Mexican than any American city outside of the Southwest/California. I was in Brooklyn a few years ago and a friend took me to a Mexican place and it was run by a Chinese family. That would likely never happen in Chicago.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Chicago looks nothing like New York. They aren't remotely close in any aspect.

Chicago looks and feels like St. Louis, Milwaukee, Cleveland or Detroit. New York looks and feels like Boston or Philadelphia.

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
how about the green space, geogrpahy, spelling,

one representing the North East, while other representing the Mid- West.

Possibly the only toll bridge in Chicago is the skyway(across the calument River, no exit for 10 miles in Chicago). WHile NYC's bridges are maybe a beauty but they are expensive.

The east river is polluted more than the chicago river, I think.

We dye our river green while the NYc's rivers are brown(currently strecthing the truth).

Chicago- ignored in the media compare to NYC.

·
Banned
603 Posts
crawford said:
Chicago looks nothing like New York. They aren't remotely close in any aspect.

Chicago looks and feels like St. Louis, Milwaukee, Cleveland or Detroit. New York looks and feels like Boston or Philadelphia.
I completely agree with your statement.

·
Registered Yooser
1,456 Posts
Honestly, they're cities worlds apart.

But if you want to know a difference between them, Chicago seems to have a more personal and community feeling.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Brooklyn, when you ask what is the difference between New York and Chicago, by NY, do you mean Manhattan or all 5 boroughs?

Usually such questions tend to focus on Manhattan, so I'll try to do that here.

I think one of the things that a New Yorker (or more appropriately a Manhattanite) would find strange about Chicago is how much we worship the low rise.

Downtown is famously dense, with lots of tall buildings. Density remains along the lakefront going north and south from downtown (although north remains much denser than south).

Yet behind the Loop and other portions of the downtown skyline, behind the high rises that line Lake Shore Drive and go inland to Sheridan Road and other North Side streets for 3-4 blocks, Chicago is, in many ways, a low rise city....and loves being so. Even on some of our most expensive real estate, close to the core, town houses can and do rise. If you want to get a sense of what makes Chicago tick, walk the delightful neighborhood streets in lakefront neighborhoods like LakeView, Lincoln Park, Old Town, the Gold Coast, Hyde Park...before walking over to the lake itself.

You will get a sense of how Chicago's sidestreets can be leafy and green, human scaled, charming....and yet throughly urban and urbane.

That's one of the things I love about Chicago: for a high rise city, we still enjoy being low rise, as well, and will fight to keep things that way.

·
Registered
279 Posts
DrJekyll said:
Chicago always needs to be compared to NY.
Actually it doesn't. Come and spend 6 months in Chicago and the idea of NYC will NEVER cross your mind. Neither will Paris, London, Tokyo etc.

For you will be way too busy living in Chicago. And that sentence won't mean anything to you until AFTER you spend 6 months in Chicago.

Get back to me on this....after you spend 6 months in Chicago.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.