SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Banned
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new on here and just to catch up on peoples opinions. What are your wishlists for the area? Mine would be:

1. Major cleanup of the Town Hall (both metaphorically and literally ; )

2. The city having two world class stadiums. A) The regeneration of Anfield by the LFC stanley park proposals creating a 60,000 seater stadium. B) The joining of the council, Peel and Everton FC to build a 55,000 - 60,000 seater stadium on the waterfront at Central Docks, preferably as impressive and grand as the origninal Kings Dock scheme, if not even better!

3. The retention, repair, maintenance and a bit of love and attention to the docks system. No more filling in and car parking over.

4. A more positive friendly and Liverpoolcentric English Heritage, saving the city from bad buildings, while not interferring with progress.

5. Some more tall buildings, but not an over reliance on skyscrapers. A few more on docklands to the north and south framing the city.

6. A hell of a lot more public spaces and public ammenities including WC's, urban parkland, benches and seating, a retention of current waterfront walkways and public footpaths and an assurance.

7. English Heritage and the LCC getting more involved in the 'Stop the Rot' campaign. The irish centre and other gems to be restored.

8. Something wonderful to be done to the former festival gardens site. A garden 'village' or a NYC central park style area....with the above mentioned commitment to public spaces within and public walkways throughout.

9. The spread of downtown investment branching out to Toxteth, Kirkby, Wavertree and other areas.

10. A Merseyside unified strategy to get the best out of Liverpool Bay Area. LCC and WBC to hold regular meetings to explore leisure, tourism, transport, business and other areas of mutal interest. The creation of an equally wonderfull (but with it's own identity) Wirral waterfront on the lands owned by Peel Holdings. The regeneration of Birkenhead and a 'New' New Brighton. Increased capacity on the Wirral/Liverpool Central loop lines.

·
Banned
21,548 Posts
Evertonian said:
I'm new on here and just to catch up on peoples opinions. What are your wishlists for the area? Mine would be:

2. The city having two world class stadiums. A) The regeneration of Anfield by the LFC stanley park proposals creating a 60,000 seater stadium. B) The joining of the council, Peel and Everton FC to build a 55,000 - 60,000 seater stadium on the waterfront at Central Docks, preferably as impressive and grand as the origninal Kings Dock scheme, if not even better!

3. The retention, repair, maintenance and a bit of love and attention to the docks system. No more filling in and car parking over.

4. A more positive friendly and Liverpoolcentric English Heritage, saving the city from bad buildings, while not interferring with progress.

5. Some more tall buildings, but not an over reliance on skyscrapers. A few more on docklands to the north and south framing the city.

6. A hell of a lot more public spaces and public ammenities including WC's, urban parkland, benches and seating, a retention of current waterfront walkways and public footpaths and an assurance.

7. English Heritage and the LCC getting more involved in the 'Stop the Rot' campaign. The irish centre and other gems to be restored.

8. Something wonderful to be done to the former festival gardens site. A garden 'village' or a NYC central park style area....with the above mentioned commitment to public spaces within and public walkways throughout.

9. The spread of downtown investment branching out to Toxteth, Kirkby, Wavertree and other areas.

10. A Merseyside unified strategy to get the best out of Liverpool Bay Area. LCC and WBC to hold regular meetings to explore leisure, tourism, transport, business and other areas of mutal interest. The creation of an equally wonderfull (but with it's own identity) Wirral waterfront on the lands owned by Peel Holdings. The regeneration of Birkenhead and a 'New' New Brighton. Increased capacity on the Wirral/Liverpool Central loop lines.
Couldn't argue with those as basic principles. We need an effective way to generate wealth and sufficient means of supporting the most vulnerable. So as a basic to add to yours I would add a culture of enterprise, though this would be 'enterprise' in its broadest definition.

For a small specific project I would also build on 70% of the earthquake clearance zone they laughingly call Everton Park... oh, yeah.. the militants did Clayton Sq as well, while I think of it!

As for skyscrapers - I would always remember that in Liverpool they would only ever be proposed if the market (i.e jobs) was there to take the space.. so you would never reject them..ever! Buildings are only a response to and a manifestation of something else going on in the city... absolutely vital that we never forget what buildings are about and the environment in which proposals are made.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I'd love to see a hell of a lot more 'green' in the city centre, with buildings around them. Not sure in Liverpool where these would go, but still, I'd like to see parks. London's got shit loads of them in the centre, whereas Sydney has a few decent ones too, Botanic garden and Hyde park to name but two. Maybe Liverpool 1 may have what I'm looking for, and perhaps some of the docks regeneration could have some of this incorporated into them too. Just a thought......

·
Banned
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
richie1878 said:
I'd love to see a hell of a lot more 'green' in the city centre, with buildings around them. Not sure in Liverpool where these would go, but still, I'd like to see parks. London's got shit loads of them in the centre, whereas Sydney has a few decent ones too, Botanic garden and Hyde park to name but two. Maybe Liverpool 1 may have what I'm looking for, and perhaps some of the docks regeneration could have some of this incorporated into them too. Just a thought......
Deffo agree with that. Sounds a lot like the 'Central Park/Green Village' idea someone a lot smarter than me proposed elsewhere on these forums.

·
800th birthday in 2007
4,198 Posts
For a small specific project I would also build on 70% of the earthquake clearance zone they laughingly call Everton Park... oh, yeah.. the militants did Clayton Sq as well, while I think of it!
I would rather keep this open space now that it has been created, since people bemoan the loss of open spaces and parks. Larger scale developments should be built around it, to make it more part of the living and working city, and will thus become a city park. This will take years to happen, but unfortunately it is slowly being rebuilt upon again, and with semi detached "cul de sac" properties. The Shaw st end does have more suitable large scale stuff planned/in progress.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Evertonian said:

as well as a lot of your bullet points being implemented, i see a "Liverpool City Region" being created replacing the "ill thought up" Merseyside county. Only this time the region will cover a much bigger territory than Merseyside. It will spread as far out as Ormskirk and Skem in the north-east. Widnes and Runcorn in the south-east (Halton borough has already amilgimated itself with Greater Merseyside), and will unite Ellesmere Port and Neston with the rest of Wirral (why was it ever detached?) in the south-west. This will give a much fairer representation of the Liverpool sprawling conurbation.

·
Banned
21,548 Posts
that's my point really. Some of the park is great, but those slopes!

The city needs to have a framework grid plan, which may take 200 years to implement (restore?) but then the city would actually have a logic for the next, what ever!

I hate walking around Everton and seeing nice crisp streets that used to tumble down the brow straight to the river (only stopped by that fucking dock wall!) now having been sliced with little piggy houses stradling them... same for the mill st area too!

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
1. A city state (for the city region) with substantial autonomy within UK / Europe. A sense of confidence and pride, with a flag that flutters from buildings throughout the city.

2. A larger and better city centre serving the "city centre" needs of 3 - 3.5 million people from Preston to Wigan to Warrington to Crewe and Wrexham, aided by improved direct train routes and better frequencies.

3. A cultural powerhouse that exploits its own talent, with an explosion of cultural activity not just from within but by becoming a place for creative people to move to and create in.

4. A significant BBC relocation from London/Manchester, with network tv and radio production taking place in Liverpool, with a cluster of media production companies following

5. Third UK tourist city destination after London and Edinburgh

6. A bridge across the Mersey in central Liverpool, over/near Kings Dock

7. Overhead railway recreated as a light rail branch of the Northern Line, linking Airport to Central Docks

8. A brain gain, not just diaspora but talent from everywhere - a city where talented and successful people want to live and work, and move to from elsewhere

9. Significant growth of both universities - in student numbers and research activity

10. The most liveable UK city with revived suburbs in Toxteth, Edge Hill and Everton having higher densitities, social and ethnic mix, and real urban quality of life. A spread of prosperity, to re-engage and re-empower communities that can be happy places, and stamp out anti-social behaviour and scum.

11. Parks and green spaces throughout the centre and inner suburbs - including significant new edge-of-centre parks to the north and south of the centre.

12. A "gold coast" style Dock Road with truly tall buildings (500 ft) up by Central Docks, and south at Brunswick Dock.

13. Liverpool Airport growing from 20% to 40% of regional civil air traffic within 15 years, competing head-on with Ringway for longhaul traffic.

14. A re-modelled St Johns Gardens creating a new public place for the city

15. The canal link across the Pier Head completely covered over

16. A tram and guided bus system linking the newly re-populated inner suburbs to the centre, to create a style of living that doesn't require cars.

17. Significant residential clusters in tall towers at Woodside and Seacombe, each with a landmark tower 300 plus feet high, providing dramatic new views, and providing the foundation of new markets for 18 hour a day scheduled ferry sailings.

18. A major new gallery or museum, possibly outpost of a major collection elsewhere

19. A proper new store such as Selfridges, to consolidate position as the regional shopping capital.

20. A rebuilt Customs House, with the inner city docks filled with sailing and other ships.

·
Banned
1,298 Posts
liverpolitan said:
1. A city state (for the city region) with substantial autonomy within UK / Europe. A sense of confidence and pride, with a flag that flutters from buildings throughout the city.

2. A larger and better city centre
That is a wish list. Liverpool progressing, realistically? I am not over confident. The city still keeps meandering along bowing down to tat developments. How the city looks is vital as one of its main industries is tourism. London is contemptuous of tourist viewing them as things that get in the way. Liverpool should not have this attitude. The crime and idiots on the streets has to be cleared up better than now. In one Beatles festival I remember in Chinatown two Belgium registered cars with their doors levered off by thieves. This gives an awful impression. There is still too much of this around. Self policing has to be promoted too.

Assuming the crime is sorted, well Liverpool is paying catch up, so not really progressing. It would flatten out, and the city remain not much better than it is now.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.