Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
title i nicked off 'Evertonian' in the liverpool thread...

·
Registered
11,502 Posts
I don't really like threads like this. If you look at the Liverpool thread it quickly descended into never going to happen urban development wank fantasies. I think 'In your sober judgement, how best could Manchester develop' is a much better title, as it tends to discourage the 'every other city will conviniently return to the stone age and everyone will move to Manchester including the global arts, fashion and welding industries and we'll be one end of a bridge to the moon' type thoughts.

In which case:

1) Second media centre of the UK - home of major alternative non-London voice.

2) Decent, denser, properous and attractive inner city of mixed class and income.

3) Thriving research led scientific industries.

4) International festival is a success, draws attention and aids development.

5) HSR or equivalent connections to London, Brum, and North East/Scotland.

6) Faster/more frequent regional Rail connections to Liverpool, Leeds, Sheffield, Hull, York etc and better local services to Cheshire, Derbyshire and South Lancs.

7) Trams get phase three and further expansions to become a fairly comprehensive system.

8) More independence as a city/region and within a northern England framework.

9) Someone eventually decides to kncok down the Arndale and replace it with a series of individually designed smaller arcades in various styles.

10) Airport retains premier position outside London and as more than just another regional airport.

Depending on the willingness of the national government and the context of the decisions I believe that these will all be possible over the next thirty years.

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
Next 5 years...

Metrolink phase 3 starts and is nearing completion
BBC move goes smoothly and encourages much more media production from private companies in the region
Manchester gets a good proportion of the government departments that move out of London
Manchester attracts at least one more large (similar to BoNY) financial institution to the city
Airport concentrates on long haul destinations, destinations such as Hong Kong as opposed to stag do and holiday destinations - quality of passenger over quantity if you like
The gap between the richest and poorest in the city starts to narrow - by the poor getting richer, and not the rich getting poorer
A city region called Manchester be established covering Greater Manchester (minus Wigan town centre - but including parts of 'Wigan' in 'Manchester') and parts of 'Macclesfiled' that are in 'Manchester'. (In reality I suspect we'll get a city region covering Greater Manchester).

Next 10 years...

Phase 3 (including Trafford Centre and Stockport) is completed
Manchester recognised as a major centre for media, companies such as Sky and CNN see Manchester as the obvious alternative to London for locating offices
Manchester is recognised as THE place to do business in the UK after London, and is seent to be on a par with cities such as Lyon and Munich
Airport is a Europena hub for some long haul airline - with connections across asia, north and south America and Austrilasia, much as airports such as Malpensa is today (I seriously doubt his will be the case, since I suspect aviation will start becoming much less viable over the next 10 years)
There be no 'slums' left anywhere in (Greater) Manchester.

Next 20 years...
Fergie celebrates his 40th year in charge at OT, with a 20th year celebration of the fans taking over the club, with Wayne Rooney (in his final year at the club) holding aloft the Champions League trophy, the Premiership and the FA Cup for the 19th time in his career.
International football is a thing of the past :)

Some will happen, but most won't, however, all IS possible.

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
Something I've always thought Manchester's city leaders should aspire to be (not saying we'll ever get there) is having an economy on a par with Munich and the culture to be seem to equal that in Barcelona.

Aim for the stars, you may get the moon on the way down.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
In ten years I would like to see the ten following achievable outcomes:

1) Metrolink Phase Three built (though I suspect still u/c)

2) Existing public transport improved (better ticketing, high freq. buses)

3) Better central planning/direction (increased role for AGMA)

4) Salford Stadium/Oldham Boundary Pk. improved

5) Road signs highlighting the city area and traditional counties.

6) Better lighting scheme for city centre buildings

7) Improvements at Salford Quays (transport, roads, bridges, shops, office blocks)

8) New World Class Museum (with a decent purpose/theme)

9) Police numbers increased to 10,000+

10) The 200m barrier broken

·
Music is my lover.
432 Posts
Regarding your sixth point kebabmonster...i think we could learn a thing or two from Coventry.

I went through there on a coach last saturday and it looked quite impressive all lit up in the dark...nearly every tall building had a colour scheme or something to give some interest.

·
Cowboy of Love
8,096 Posts
Bim said:
Regarding your sixth point kebabmonster...i think we could learn a thing or two from Coventry.

I went through there on a coach last saturday and it looked quite impressive all lit up in the dark...nearly every tall building had a colour scheme or something to give some interest.
Coventry has gone to great lengths to improve their city centre working pretty much with what they have already got - The Phoenix Initiative
In fact there was some criticism when the city centre was nominated for the Stirling prize a couple of years ago because it wasnt one building as such , just a series of 'features'.
You are right though - i does look really good especially at night.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts