SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll try to post some short translation of an article which was written in Lithuanian newspaper "Lietuvos rytas"

------------------------------------------------
The city is flooded by Polish tourists

Every year, at the first weeks of May big number of Polish tourists come to Vilnius but this year the number of them is big as never before.
The number of Polish tourists is 2/3 of all tourists in Vilnius. Most of tourists from Poland come by buses and municipality of Vilnius is solving the problem where to place all those buses. E.g. in weekends at the sides of Aukstaiciu street there usually are ~30 buses parked.
The buses often does not fit in a parking place near church of St. Peter and St. Paul.

Photo of buses in Aukstaiciu street - when this photo was taken there were 27 buses parked (all of them from Poland):

Manager of Tourism department denied stereotypes that Poles come to Vilnius with intentions just to visit the Gate of Dawn Chapel and few churches. Poles visit shopping and entertainment center "Akropolis", night clubs. Also Poles often visit park of geographical center of Europe. Biger and biger number of Poles choose village messuages located around Vilnius.

Waiters in some restaurants at Pilies street are learning Polish words. Restaurant "Forto dvaras" which is also located in Pilies street printed menu in Polish language.

Tourists from Poland are choosing the cheapest hotels and in restaurants they do not order expensive dishes, drinks. But the businessmans are happy because of big numbers of them.

Although in the streets of Vilnius you can mostly meet tourists from Poland the number of other tourists is also increasing. E.g. last year the number of Italian and French tourists increased more than twice in comparison to 2003 year.
------------------------------------------------

Additionally some statistics: last year the number of guests from Poland in Lithuania was the second after Germany (German tourists - 21% and Polish tourists - 14%).

That's it. :)

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Edd said:
Restaurant "Forto dvaras" which is also located in Pilies street printed menu in Polish language.
Most people in the city speak Polish, large percentage of inhabitants are Poles, 75% of all tourists are from Poland and one restaurant decided to print menu in Polish and even gets mentioned in the article for doing so. I am so greatful to them. Unbelievable approach to tourism. In 5 years maybe another restaurant will greatfully print a menu in Polish too.

WOW. :bash:

·
Banned
503 Posts
Thanks for the article, Edd.
Its great that tourism in Vilnius is booming :eek:kay: Too bad our airport authorities messed up the deals with RyanAir and EasyJet though. With these airlines there couldve been even more tourists visiting Vilnius each year!

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jacek said:
Most people in the city speak Polish
18,7% of Vilnius population are Poles (is it "most"?). 57,8% of Vilnius population are Lithuanians (this is minority? :D), 14,0% of Vilnius population are Russians (almost the same amount as Poles), 4% of Vilnius population are Byelorussians, 1.3% of Vilnius population are Ukrainians, 0.5% - jews and the rest - 3.7% (this data is old from 2001 and the number of Poles is decreasing while the number of Lithuanians is increasing).

Jacek said:
large percentage of inhabitants are Poles
I think that I also answered this above. (is there something wrong with your ability to understand numbers/amounts?)

Jacek said:
75% of all tourists are from Poland
2/3 of tourists are Poles - does it really mean 75%? (once again: is there something wrong with your ability to understand numbers/amounts?) Btw, that number is for this period - not the whole year.

Jacek said:
and one restaurant decided to print menu in Polish and even gets mentioned in the article for doing so. I am so greatful to them. Unbelievable approach to tourism. In 5 years maybe another restaurant will greatfully print a menu in Polish too.

WOW. :bash:
The owners of restaurants are thinking about $ and if the number of Poles will be high enough - they will print menus. So Jacek, my friend - you should visit Vilnius more often, then maybe restaurants will print more menus in Polish faster? :) Also - you shouldn't skip your math lessons in school, you can learn something useful there too. ;)

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
I think any rational person would find this amusing, this tourist mekka even printed one menu in Polish. But then again paranoia will not go away quickly, fear of "polonization" haunts from every corner. It will take time and a new generation before certain people change their backwater banana state attitudes.

Edd
The owners of restaurants are thinking about $ and if the number of Poles will be high enough - they will print menus.
If the owners of restaurants were thinking about money they would have done everything in their power to capture the market of 66 % (for you sixty six percent) of tourists, to channel them to their establishments by any means possible. Right now tourists on "nostalgia tours" visit the monuments and get back into their busses to return to Poland the same day.

If I had a restaurant and 66% of tourists in my city where from Lithuania I woud post a huge sign on the outskirts in Lithuanian directing them to my place. I would print leaflets in Lithuanian, put up a sign in Lithuanian above my front door and printed my menus in Lithuanian on a paper with lithuanian coat of arms.

Instead of money going to some foreign Akropolis no-name place it would go to the local merchants.

That's business not backwater paranoia.

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jacek said:
I think any rational person would find this amusing, this tourist mekka even printed one menu in Polish. But then again paranoia will not go away quickly, fear of "polonization" haunts from every corner. It will take time and a new generation before certain people change their backwater banana state attitudes.

If the owners of restaurants were thinking about money they would have done everything in their power to capture the market of 66 % (for you sixty six percent) of tourists, to channel them to their establishments by any means possible. Right now tourists on "nostalgia tours" visit the monuments and get back into their busses to return to Poland the same day.

If I had a restaurant and 66% of tourists in my city where from Lithuania I woud post a huge sign on the outskirts in Lithuanian directing them to my place. I would print leaflets in Lithuanian, put up a sign in Lithuanian above my front door and printed my menus in Lithuanian on a paper with lithuanian coat of arms.

Instead of money going to some foreign Akropolis no-name place it would go to the local merchants.

That's business not backwater paranoia.
The 66% is not for all year. But I think that in all warm period of year (spring/summer) there is quite big amount of Polish tourists. But in other time of year everything changes. I think that after such big boom more restaurants will follow and make something attractive for Poles. But don't forget also the fact that restaurants are looking more at richer tourists from the west.

Jacek said:
Right now tourists on "nostalgia tours" visit the monuments and get back into their busses to return to Poland the same day.
I thought that you valuate Poles very high and now you say that they can't even read menus in other languages (e.g. English or Russian). :D

And this: 'fear of "polonization"' - it was really funny but still it's your style. ;)

And Akropolis is Lithuanian. :)

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
It doesn't matter whether people know English or Russian, who cares. What matters is that you have a large body of tourists who do not contribute to your local economy, they come, see things, dont spend much money and leave.

Tourists vote with their feet, it's your responsibility as a good businessman to reach out to them, not the opposite. In Slovakia menus are in Polish where Polish tourists make up a large portion of overall tourism. They caught on to the whole capitalism, yet you still can't. That says a lot. Slovaks will do everything to keep Polish tourists there as long as possible, make them spend as much money as possible. It's good business, good for local economy, doesn't require any investments, just some thinking and basic business accumen.

Maybe there is a reason why low costs fly to Tallinn and Riga and not to your town....meanwhile you keep worring about polonization. I bet if a restaurant put up a Polish sign there would be 20 articles in your press titled "Poles are coming ! Lithuanian patriots defend your fatherland !"

Meanwhile you can count me in as a future consumer at "forto dvaras" which by the way is from Polish -"dvaras from dwor - manor". Oh my god what now ???
Total polonization !

·
Registered
486 Posts
^^^

Yeah we now fenced in Vilnius and our secret agents is jumping around every polish tourist just to be sure they wont try to polonize us. Once in a week we have local news paper "Poles are coming. Second and improved edition", they always write about threats from Poland (eg "menu will be printed in polish" or "oh my god i heard polish language in da streets").

:eek:hno: :eek:hno:

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Jacek: What's your problem with "polonization"? Is it your favourite word? :D
Low costs fly to Tallinn and Riga but does not fly to Vilnius because of limits of Vilnius airport - it can't be expanded and the limit of it is ~2 mio passengers (it means not very good future for low costs) and also because of taxes.
And believe me - Poles eat even if the menus are printed in English. ;) But you still should come to Lithuania to teach those wild and dumb polephobes. :D

About word "dvaras" - I don't know about it, so I can't say if its origin is Polish or not. ;)

·
in action
2,120 Posts
I know how the Polish language sounds, but I barely hear this language in street of Vilnius and this is because most of local Poles decided to switch to Russian rather than Lithuanian and Russian is somehow 2nd language in Vilnius, even if Russians isn't the 2nd minority :|

About the wave from Poland, then it comes only in the beginning of May when they celebrate the Constitution day. AFAIK Germans are the top visitors and Poles are the 2nd if taking annually.

"Dvaras" actually came from Belarussians and was used before Polish culture came to Lithuania.

·
Banned
1,680 Posts
Interesting to hear about Polish switching to Russian language in Vilnius.
Anyways, when EUrobasket 2009 rolls around, you can hope for some tourists from Serbia & Montenegro, too:yes:

Just as we are expecing plenty of Lithuanians this year in Belgrade;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts