SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Just add water
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I've recently visited India with an Indian friend of mine. To be precise, I have travelled some parts of Kerala and Tamil Nadu for 6 days. We took a flight from Dubai to Kozhikode and after a night in a very nice Resort we took off to a place in the mountains near Kodaikanal by car.

Most of the images were snapshots, taken on the drive to and from Kodaikanal through the open window at full speed, with a 50mm 1:1,4 Nikkor. And it was quite a task aiming at motives with this tunnel vision lens. But whenever I managed to capture a scene just about right the close-up effect would provide nice portraits of people living their daily life.

So whoever is interested (or bored enough :lol:), here are some of these impressions. Enjoy!

Regards,
Basti

·
Banned
872 Posts
Hi DD, i am a great admirer of your photographic skills, your pictures are excellent :)

what was your impression of India, what was the feeling like when you there?

·
Just add water
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Hey :)

I have only seen a small fragment of India and did not visit any historic places (apart from the beach where Vasco da Gama has landed in 1498), but right when you arrive in India you breathe the ancient culture and history it has. You can feel right there how India absorbs every foreign influence and yet always manages to stay India. To me it was very impressive to experience or rather FEEL all this, although I only stayed for six days this time for more of a leisure trip.

I will definitely come back many times and I really feel the urge to take the time and travel all parts of the country one day. There is so much to see, so much history to breathe and actually touch... after all this is one of the few countries in the world where you can see the actual historic places of events which happened literally thousands of years ago. Be it the shores of the river Beas where Alexander the Great had stopped his conquers and turned around to go back to Europe, or the actual places which the Buddha has visited throughout his life some 2500 years ago and which still exist...

India really is very much worth visiting.

P.S.: I recently came along a very interesting BBC documentary consisting of six series about "The History of India" by Michael Wood. It offers a great outline of India's past.

·
Mangalorean
935 Posts
Excellent job! Kodaikanal is a nice town, with the exception of the ugly main road. I have many joyful memories from Dolphin's Nose and the lake there.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts