SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
ecrasez l'infame
4,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well basically Indian railways along with different tourism boards of different Indian states operates luxury trains which cover important tourist destinations in those states. Currently there are around 7 of such luxury trains criss crossing major tourist tracks.

Basically pre independence the different maharajas use to have their own trains fitted with all types of luxury they could buy with their tonne loads of money. After independence these trains fell into dis-repair then in 1982 the Rajasthan tourism board along with indian railways launched the "Palace on Wheels" ; India's first luxury train inspired from the trains of the maharajas. These trains ferried tourists across the desert state of Rajasthan with it's forts and palaces and then went to the Taj Mahal and ended the trip in Delhi.

So yeah hope you enjoy the pictures! :)

·
ecrasez l'infame
4,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Funny, the rolling stock ain't striking me as all that luxurious looking at the squishy corridor above for a place heftily into broad-gauge :nuts:
Well this part is where the cabins or the rooms are situated so naturally the corridor is not going to be big. It is after all a train.

·
:-x
5,787 Posts
You're welcome (not photos!). The loco strikes me more South-asian-looking than polar-.....I reckon Indians tart things up the best, I do (I ain't trying to be rude, just silly; the term "luxury" is purely subjective for me, that's all).

I was trying to extract an image from the sci-fi, French-language La Compagnie des glaces comic series in my websearch, but instead found on Page 20 the one above to be the one worthwhile enough here (La Compagnie des glaces revolves around human beings and new human lifeforms living on quite-almighty rails in an endless, human-induced ice age)

·
ecrasez l'infame
4,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Stunning photos Yagya. Thanks for sharing.
Your welcome :)

Thanks for pictures!! Almost like a Bollywood movie set! simply stunning!
Yes. Some of it really doesn't suit my taste but oh well. I like the maharaja express the most followed by Royal Rajasthan on wheels. Others needed to be less kitschy in my opinion ofcourse.

·
ecrasez l'infame
4,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Stunning. Top marks must go to the Craftsmen and Tradesmen that built these Beautifull Coaches.
Yes pretty amazing for a train.

Just on word : WONDERFUL !

Thanks for sharing.

How long is this trip ?

Others are 7/8 days :
Yes most of the trips take around a week. The train acts as a transport as well as a hotel. So it would take you to the destination, then you will step out and see the city + locations for the day. Then come back and stay in the train. The train then will go to the next station.

Does anyone know how much a journey would costs? Any price lists?
You can plan you trip through their official websites if you search the name on google. They only run in a set period or season and get booked really quickly especially the palace on wheels and they are expensive.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts