SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
24 Posts
Football stadiums in India

http://www.stadiumzone.weebly.com

has pictures of almost all 30,000+ capacity football stadiums in the world/India. Who has pictures of the football stadiums in Ranchi, Nagpur, Imphal and Shillong in football configuration?
There are two big sports in India: Football and cricket (field hockey just behind those sports). The largest stadium in the world (after Pyongyang national stadium) is in Kolkata with a 120,000 capacity:

http://feverpitch.in/SiteWeb/Newsdesc.aspx?SID=D17459F9-9CD2-44C6-B79C-11CE54E28171

·
Banned
24 Posts
Why doesn't India have a franchise based I-League yet? Should be great, something like this: Mohun Bagan, East Bengal, Goa United, Pune FC, Mumbai Tigers, Delhi FC, Viva Kerala, Bangalore FC, Chennai Rangers, Shillong Lajong, United Sikkim, Ranchi FC, Siliguri FC, Hyderabad Globe, Aizawl FC, Kolhapur FC, Assam Green Valley, Jaipur FC, Ludhiana FC, Ahmedabad FC, Kollam FC, Kohima Komets. Let the best 10 franchises play in the 1st division and the other 12 in the 2nd division. Let one club promote/relegate each season.

·
Registered
9,435 Posts
The 2023 ICC Cricket World Cup (the 13th hosting of the tournament) is scheduled to be hosted by India. It will be the fourth time that India will host the tournament (after 1987, 1996, and 2011), as well as the first time that India will host on its own (without the help of Pakistan, Bangladesh, or Sri Lanka). Host cities should potentially be Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata, and Bengaluru, with others to be determined soon.

India to host 2023 Cricket World Cup, as well as 2016 World Twenty20

Reactions: n20

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Why doesn't India have a franchise based I-League yet? Should be great, something like this: Mohun Bagan, East Bengal, Goa United, Pune FC, Mumbai Tigers, Delhi FC, Viva Kerala, Bangalore FC, Chennai Rangers, Shillong Lajong, United Sikkim, Ranchi FC, Siliguri FC, Hyderabad Globe, Aizawl FC, Kolhapur FC, Assam Green Valley, Jaipur FC, Ludhiana FC, Ahmedabad FC, Kollam FC, Kohima Komets. Let the best 10 franchises play in the 1st division and the other 12 in the 2nd division. Let one club promote/relegate each season.
We do have a club based I-League. But the stupid AIFF is introducing an additional franchise based 2-month league in between. The clubs are totally against that.

·
Registered
9,435 Posts
A report about the new Indian Super League:

Will the Indian Super League Be One of the World's Largest Leagues?

In its first season (in 2014) the Indian Super League, established in 2013, is already the fourth most-attended league in the world by average home crowd. The league's current average home game attendance is over 26,000 people.

The high average turnout is owed to the league's compact system, in which only 8 clubs participate and are selected on franchise base, with no promotion/relegation system.

The ISL is one of two top tiers in Indian association football, the other being the I-League (which does use a promotion/relegation system). The ISL lasts from October to December; the I-League lasts from January to May.

Some of this info from this page Stadium DB.com

·
Registered
418 Posts
May I ask all Indian users on this board, as well as British and Australian users, a question: why is cricket so popular in your respective country? No disrespect intended, but it seems like a rather dull game.

1,235 Posts
May I ask all Indian users on this board, as well as British and Australian users, a question: why is cricket so popular in your respective country? No disrespect intended, but it seems like a rather dull game.
Not exactly an answer to your question but...

different culture, different preference in sports. They are probably wondering: "why is american football so popular in your country? No disrespect intended, but it seems like a rather dull game."

1 - 20 of 48 Posts