SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

Chicago is well known for its skyscrapers, but there's other interesting architecture too. These two pictures are of a Hindu Temple complex in a Chicago suburb. So those Chicago-ites who are interested in Indian art and architecture, can begin their journey right in their own backyard. :)

·
Expert
6,905 Posts
BAPS?

There's another in Bensenville and the one in Lemont I think. The Lemont location is amazing, but the interior is crumbling.

·
Banned
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wickedestcity said:
wow , the detail is crazy!
Yeah! You know what; just yesterday they were showing a program on Discovery about South Indian temples, which are full of these sorts of details. Infact, Temple walls were sort of a storybook of the Kings, their Kingdoms and Religious fables. And these structures have lasted for centuries, because they are carved out of solid granite stone.

I am not sure if these structures in Chicago are made out of stone, but there are plans to do so in New York and Toronto. Imagine, Indian architecture outside India, lasting for thousands of years, and Indians visiting your country to discover their art and architecture! :)

The World is Truly Shrinking!

·
Expert
6,905 Posts
Devon is a pretty busy street though. To build temples like the one in Bartlet you need a decent plot of land (which Devon really doesn't have) and close down parts for construction. And unfortunately, like many other places of worship, the temple could be targeted for one reason or another. Although I know there is the Swami Vivekananda Society, which is very close to the Museum of Science and Industry. But that's kind of different, and the outside looks like any other normal building/house.

·
Expert
6,905 Posts
Info on BAPS Chicago

Oh yeah:

The BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir in Chicago is the largest traditional Hindu Mandir of stone and marble to be constructed in the United States. Created entirely according to ancient Hindu architectural manuscripts known as the Shilpa-Shastras and meeting all the modern regulations of today, it was constructed in a mere 16 months starting from the day its first stone was laid. Lime stone from Turkey and marble from Italy was shipped to India and carved along with Makrana marble from India. Carved pieces were shipped from India to Chicago to build such a beautiful Mandir. The Mandir opened to devotees, well-wishers, and visitors after the Pran Pratishtha ceremony performed by the hands of His Divine Holiness Pramukh Swami Maharaj on August 8, 2004. The adjoining cultural center, known as the Haveli, was opened in October of 2000 and is a revival of wooden craftsmanship. Traditionally, Haveli means courtyard architecture - an architectural style fashioned from wood, involving intricate carving.

* Dimensions:
Total land: 30 acres
Mandir: 22442 sq. ft.
Height: 78 ft.
Width: 112 ft.
Length: 213 ft.
* Stones:
Outside: Turkish Lime stone 42842 Cu. Ft.
Inside: Italian marble from Italy (32808 cu. Ft.)and Makrana marble from India 4850 cu. Ft.
Total: 8430 tones.
Size: Smallest stone 15 gm to largest stone of 5.2 tones.
* Features:
5 Pinnacles (shikhara)
1 Central Dome (22 ft. in dia.)
16 Domes
4 Balconies
14 Windows
151 Pillars
75 ceilings with 39 different designs
4 Small Pinnacles (Samaram)
129 Arches (Toran)
* Infrastructure:
40,000 stone pieces
85,000 cu. Ft total stone structure
No Iron or Steel used
Central heating and cooling
Under floor heating with Gel tubing
Fiber optic lighting

·
C.B.P.
1,188 Posts
I know it's not exactly completely Indian, but the Ba'hai Temple in Willmette is beautiful. It's more of a mixture between traditional Arabic/Persian/Indian architecture.

·
Banned
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Latoso said:
I know it's not exactly completely Indian, but the Ba'hai Temple in Willmette is beautiful. It's more of a mixture between traditional Arabic/Persian/Indian architecture.
Although I haven't been to the Ba'hai temple in Chicago; one thing is a giveaway about this community, that their temples reflect the local art and architecture. For example the beautiful temple in New Delhi is Lotus shaped -- a flower which is the most exalted amongst Flora in Hinduism. I am definitely positive that Lotuses are not to be found in the Deserts of Arabia, or Persia either; and yet the design in New Delhi! All in alll, a very intereseting community this. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts