SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought seeing as we have a thread for the new Chinese Embassy I might as well make one for the new Indian High Commission, currently under construction on Pipitea Street. The High Commission is a three or four level (I can't quite make it out) building designed by Warren and Mahoney and is being built by Ebert Construction. It loosely follows Indian architectural principals, such as having a central courtyard, and will also use Indian materials such as traditional stone and wood.

I'm not entirely sure about the design myself, it looks a little mediocre and unrefined (at least it will fit in with the architecture at this end of town) sort of like a regional courthouse, but I'm happy to be proven wrong by the final product.

Also, while on the subject of High Commissions and Embassies, does anyone know what is happening at the American Embassy? There seems to have been work going on there for a while now - demolition of an older building and large excavations for a new building (it looks) - I'd take photos but I don't want to cause a diplomatic incident.

Here's the proposal for the Indian High Commission:

And here's photos of the site from about two weeks ago:

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Also, while on the subject of High Commissions and Embassies, does anyone know what is happening at the American Embassy?
Its part of a global upgrade of facilities to meet new earthquake and attack standards...
This comprehensive project includes retrofitting the exterior of the chancery building facade to meet US Department of State's standards for seismic and blast protection, and general building systems upgrades.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/8371842/60m-to-blast-proof-US-embassy-complex

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
They'll not just hand it to another builder.

Not sure how busy it is your way but firstly they will need to find a builder able to complete the works.
Client will want pricing and not an open cheque book so the value of work to date and costs to complete will need working out.

Finding sub contractors able to take over may be a problem, especially if looking to reengage those currently on site.

Long lead items like lifts and special materials will need to be re contracted.

Materials on and off site may now not be paid for, and will need re securing.

very messy situation.

Hopefully some of the existing site management will be taken on by who ever takes over.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
any news on a replacement main contractor.

Hawkins to finish mental health health unit at Middlemore and developer is in talks with Dominion re Union green here in Auckland.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Hawkins to finish mental health health unit at Middlemore and developer is in talks with Dominion re Union green here in Auckland.
The wheels of government grind slow, and ones based in other countries usually grind slower, I expect it will be a while before we see any announcement, let along movement here.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts