SkyscraperCity banner

1001 - 1020 of 1026 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
What surprised me was the use of steam in mainline services. I remember another BBC documentary showing steam in use even in the early 1990s.

In terms of rolling stock, Indian trains are no worse than anywhere else. People love to fawn over high speed rail, but forget that half of the world doesn't even have a railway system, and those who have, their slow and general train infrastructure is no better, including China.

There has been a lot of investment since then in re-building our ageing infrastructure, doubling, electrification, computerization, safety and even overall up-keep of our railways stations etc.

You are quite right. Here is the World ranking of railway infrastructure quality:

https://www.theglobaleconomy.com/rankings/railroad_quality/

India is ranked 28, ahead of, wait for this, the UK!

With the current surge in investment and once all upgrade projects are completed, say by 2024 - multi-tracking, electrification, advanced signalling, track upgrade, station redevelopment and introduction of new up to date rolling stock, India can jump several places, perhaps even ahead of Russia at 16. China is at 22! I suppose they are not considering HSR here.

Also keep in mind, IR is numero uno in passenger traffic and 3rd (Tons) or 4th (TonKM) in freight, a lot of railway systems on that list are puny in comparison. OT, but for more surprises, check out the road quality rank in that same website.

·
Registered
71 Posts
That webpage lists the methodology through which they arrive at the score and ranking.
The score for railroad infrastrucutre quality is based on only one question. The respondents are asked to rate the railroads in their country of operation on a scale from 1 (underdeveloped) to 7 (extensive and efficient by international standards). The individual responses are aggregated to produce a country score.
Doesn't look like an objective metric where different rail systems are carefully compared based on a list of weighted parameters.

·
Registered
132 Posts
What surprised me was the use of steam in mainline services. I remember another BBC documentary showing steam in use even in the early 1990s.
It was in the very late 70s that a announcement was made in one of the railway budgets to do away with steam hauling. Consequently the last steam loco was manufactured in 1980 as I read somewhere. It was in the early 80s that they slowly started phasing them out. Initially the express & mails and probably goods too were gradually switched to diesel in phases . This itself would be a long drawing process taking a number of years. Hence its very much possible that the last & final rites of the steam era would have spilled in to the very early 90s. By this time only a few slow passenger trains would have still been on steam and on their last legs.

·
I love trains and buses!
273 Posts
Humming at full volume & madly honking, WDP-4D accelerates with Udyan express!

Pune WDP-4D #40447 powering Udyan express towards Mumbai puts up a spectacular display with its fully notched up sound, generous use of horn & light smoking as it accelerates through Washimbe after waiting at Home signal. A treat for railfans. My LTT-Vishakhapatnam express waits in loop for crossing while a tanker freight waits in the other loop, overtaken by Udyan express.

·
I love trains and buses!
273 Posts
Local passes Dahisar at above 100 kmph! This is an extremely rare experience as Borivali station is a major station and platform availability is always an issue. Hence most of the trains have to crawl while approaching. But I was very lucky in this case as I was in a non stopping train AND we got a completely clear line! Very much a once in a blue moon experience.

·
Saurabh Raut
384 Posts
Howrah Barddhaman Main Line Full Route Uncut Journey Timelapse | Kolkata Suburban GoPro Hyperlapse

The 41st Dynamic Time-Lapse or Hyper Lapse of my Channel. And the Nineteenth Time-lapse of most awaited Kolkata Suburban Network. This time, the first corridor from Howrah Division, From Howrah to Barddhaman via Mainline, Viewing towards Right of train direction. The Howrah - Barddhaman Mainline local halt all it's Enroute stations that's Liluah, Belur, Bally, Uttarpara, Hind Motor, Konnagar, Rishra, Shrirampur, Seoraphuli Jn, Baidyabati, Bhadreshwar, Mankundu, Chandan Nagar, Chuchura, Hooghly, Bandel Jn, Adi Saptagram, Magra, Talandu, Khanyan, Pundooah, Simlagarh, Bainchigram, Bainchi, Debipur, Bagila, Memari, Nimo, Rasulpur, Palsit, Saktigarh, Gangpur, and Barddhaman Jn. Enjoy the journey while exploring the Kolkata Suburban route. Yet More routes of Kolkata suburban section will be shared in Future, so Stay tuned Hope you enjoy the journey and stay tuned for more such and other entertaining stuff To Know about the routes of Kolkata Suburban Railway -Here

Video Details: Timelapse interval - 0.5 sec Video frame rate - 30 (raw) Camera - GoPro Hero 7 Black

·
Saurabh Raut
384 Posts
Sealdah to Barddhaman Full Route Uncut Journey Timelapse | Kolkata Suburban GoPro Hyperlapse

The 42nd Dynamic Time-Lapse or Hyper Lapse of my Channel. And the Twentieth Time-lapse of most awaited Kolkata Suburban Network. This time, the combined corridor from Howrah and Sealdah Division, From Sealdah to Barddhaman, Viewing towards Right of train direction. The Sealdah - Barddhaman local halt all it's Enroute stations that's Bidhannagar Road, Dum Dum Jn, Belgharia, Agarpara, Sodpur, Khardaha, Titagarh, Barackpore, Palta, Ichhapur, Jagaddal, Shyamnagar, Kankinara, Naihati Jn, Garifa, Hooghlt Ghat, Bandel Jn, Adi Saptagram, Magra, Talandu, Khanyan, Pundooah, Simlagarh, Bainchigram, Bainchi, Debipur, Bagila, Memari, Nimo, Rasulpur, Palsit, Saktigarh, Gangpur, and Barddhaman Jn. Enjoy the journey while exploring the Kolkata Suburban route. Yet More routes of Kolkata suburban section will be shared in Future, so Stay tuned Hope you enjoy the journey and stay tuned for more such and other entertaining stuff To Know about the routes of Kolkata Suburban Railway - Here

Video Details: Timelapse interval - 0.5 sec Video frame rate - 30 (raw) Camera - GoPro Hero 7 Black Music: Carefree #Trending

·
Saurabh Raut
384 Posts
Howrah Barddhaman Chord Full Route Uncut Journey Timelapse | Kolkata Suburban GoPro Hyperlapse

The 43rd Dynamic Time-Lapse or Hyper Lapse of my Channel. And the Twentieth Time-lapse of most awaited Kolkata Suburban Network. This time, the first corridor from Howrah Division, From Howrah to Barddhaman via Chord Line, Viewing towards Right of train direction. Enjoy the journey while exploring the Kolkata Suburban route. Yet More routes of Kolkata suburban section will be shared in Future, so Stay tuned Hope you enjoy the journey and stay tuned for more such and other entertaining stuff To Know about the routes of Kolkata Suburban Railway - Here

Video Details: Timelapse interval - 0.5 sec Video frame rate - 30 (raw) Camera - GoPro Hero 7 Black Music: Carefree #Trending

·
Saurabh Raut
384 Posts
Vaitarna - Like Never Before | AeRail - Drone Cinematics

A Cinematic Drone shot video of Train and surrounding of Vaitarna. A never before seen Experience that would blow your mind. Strongly recommended to watch this creation on a screen as big as possible to enjoy it to the fullest. Vaitarna, A village-cum-station located on the Banks of river Vaitarna which originates near Igatpuri in Western Ghats. Vaitarna Station falls under the Mumbai Suburban Railway Network of the Western Railways..!! AeRail is a new series of my channel, to showcase the Glorious Indian Railways like never scene before. And this is the first video, presented to you on the 167th Anniversary of the Majestic Indian Railways..!!

1001 - 1020 of 1026 Posts