1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
:cheers:

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
I heard from another SSC thread that the Sonseco Fieldhouse is ill-suited for ice hockey and arena football. It is one of the few basketball-specific arenas in the NBA.

The Fieldhouse was also the host venue of the 2004 FINA Short Course World Swimming Championships. A 25-metre pool was installed for the event.

The name of the venue is expected to be changed to CNO Financial Fieldhouse this year. Conseco, which holds the naming rights to the Fieldhouse, is to be renamed to CNO Financial.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Yeah Conseco is very small for hockey, but that just means it is better for basketball. The fans are closer to the action and it's a better atmosphere.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Arena Football?

Actually, I always thought Arena Football worked pretty well at the fieldhouse... at least it did for those games that I went to see the Firebirds play.

It really is a beautiful basketball arena, though. Perhaps the best in the country, if not the world (an opinion shared by many authorities on the subject).

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I'm a big fan of Conseco. I attended the Big Ten tournament a few years back and the views from the end seats are excellent. Much better than the Air Canada Centre.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
I'm a big fan of Conseco. I attended the Big Ten tournament a few years back and the views from the end seats are excellent. Much better than the Air Canada Centre.
Arenas like Conseco and Key Arena in Seattle were design around the basketball court, so all the seats are really close in.

The ACC was design around the rink, thus pushing the end seats way back from the floor.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Arenas like Conseco and Key Arena in Seattle were design around the basketball court, so all the seats are really close in.

The ACC was design around the rink, thus pushing the end seats way back from the floor.
The end seats at the AAC aren't bad at all. The stand are actually telescoping in 3 dimensions and don't that weird temp stand behind each basket that cover some seats on permanent hockey stands

as you can see, its the corner seats that suffer. It certainly suffers less than hockey and arena ball do at Conseco. The only real solution to doing both will is to have a rising floor along with the telescoping stands.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Here's a good comparison

Conseco

AAC

As you can see, when Conseco's behind basket seats a retracted in, it results in high seats at the end for hockey. Better for basketball though. The AAC though is a nice compromise. These corner and end seats are high enough that that aren't blocked by baseline seats like in most hockey/basketball venues. Yet, during hockey, they lower and hug the rink

·
Registered
2,707 Posts

Yeah I know
Still, I like the fact that the upper deck at the ACC doesn't rest upon multiple tiers of boxes.

That makes watching any event that much more bearable.

·
Registered
28,068 Posts
Do you know other Arenas?

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Do you know other Arenas?
Plenty:

Conseco Fieldhouse
Key Arena
American Airlines Arena (Miami)
US Airways Center (Phoenix)
Target Center (Minneapolis)
Amway Center (Orlando)
New Orleans Arena
Energy Solutions Arena (Salt Lake City)
Power Balance Pavilion (Sacramento)
Oracle Arena (Oakland)
At&T Center (San Antonio)
Fed Ex Forum
Barclays Center

Thats not to say that some of these don't have ice rinks. US Airways in Phoenix used to host the Coyotes, and Key Arena used to host the Thunderbirds. However, since the seating bowl was designed around the basketball court instead of the hockey rink, there were some awkward sightlines for hockey games.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts