SkyscraperCity banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 506 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
is construction at the library progressing?

when the Percussive Arts Society relocates to Indy, I believe the museum, office, and library will be in one bldg. can anyone speculate on what location will be the best for all three uses--maybe the National City Center (a portion of Simon's old space)?

when does anyone think proposals of developments around the new football stadium will begin to be discussed?

anyone have updates on One Market Square?

·
Registered
140 Posts
cwilson, if you could, can you ask your Simon friend about any word of The Container Store coming to Indy.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
GT said:
anyone have updates on One Market Square?
This was posted by Mobyhead on SSP:

I work for a bank in downtown Indianapolis. A few weeks back we had a meeting with Gary Swift, a real estate agent with Flock Realty. They are the people attempting to sell units at the former Market Square arena site. http://www.onemarketsquare.com/home.html He mentioned that the builders have signed on a new designer to re-do the condo layouts. He just finished designing a 61 story condo tower in Chicago. They will break ground this year for sure. Someone has already bought the 2 penthouse suites, an investment for sure. Retail tenants have signed on for the first floor but when we asked the Gary who they were he was tight lipped.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Condo units planned at 25th and Delaware

Mansur Real Estate Services, along with Mikinis Homes, soon will break ground on a development at 25th and Delaware streets. Douglass Pointe Lofts will have nine condominiums in two buildings, with the ground floor reserved as commercial space. Units will be priced at $260,000 to $360,000.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060128/BUSINESS/601280419/1003

·
Registered
140 Posts
great news about One Market Square! do you think that will affect the outside design?

KM1410, what is SSP?

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
GT said:
great news about One Market Square! do you think that will affect the outside design?

KM1410, what is SSP?
Last I heard, a couple months ago, 60 of the 80+ units minimum required for groundbreaking had been sold. It's hard to imagine a redesign at this point. It's also hard to imagine replacing a first class organization like Mesa Developement. I wonder if this person is talking about dated information from the last redesign.

SSP = www.skyscraperpage.com

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Okay, I was concerned enough about the Pan Am Plaza that I walked down there today with my dog. Even though I've been there a thousand times, It's hard to get perspective on the place from just memory and satellite photos.

By actually walking down there, it's easy to see that there's plenty of space to build a 1000 room hotel and keep the integrity of the Plaza intact. The sight lines of Union Station just aren't a problem either.

As you can see on the pic, the structures to the East and West currently are entrance/exits to the one level underground parking garage. No problem demolishing them. A hotel in the area I've outlined in red would have plenty of room with parking garage entrance/exit on both Capitol and Illinois. Foot entrance with dropoff and taxi zones could be shared with the Union Station hotel on Louisiana street.

If there is need for more space, a large part of the hotel could be cantilevered over the plaza so as to maximize outdoor walking space, with or without support columns, and may actually enhance the plaza by giving some cover from the elements. Some retail like a small cafe or coffee shop would go nicely in this part of the hotel with some outdoor seating to take advantage of the Plaza.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Moochie,

Traffic circles and roundabouts are very different from ugly, concrete, interstate highway ramps. Obviously the presence of the latter does not attract development. The removal of the Market Street ramp will be a positive development regardless of this issue. A well designed traffic circle, however, will not discourage development anywhere. There is no reason that development would stop at an East Street traffic circle. It would simply mark the entrance to Indianapolis’s historic mile square.

Like me, you want to see the core of Indianapolis expanded to the east. The introduction of a well designed traffic circle in addition to a foresighted development plan would encourage development on the eastern side of downtown. Putting the circle at College Avenue, however, places the facility four blocks from the nearest significant downtown building. You could almost fit the entire skyline of Indianapolis in this area. In addition, the eastern half of the skyline is already weak and needs investment. A College Avenue traffic circle would be too far from the core to be an effective downtown placemaking tool.

The facilities that I recommended on Market at West and East Streets would be more accurately described as traffic circles, not roundabouts. I describe them as traffic circles primarily because of their large size. They would be about two thirds the size of Monument Circle. The eastern traffic circle could be surrounded by 10 story buildings on scale with the Lacy, Guarantee, IPL and Circle Tower on Monument Circle. I picture human-scaled, modern facades of limestone quarried locally in Southern Indiana. In addition, the center of these traffic circles could someday hold monuments that would complement the soldiers and sailors monument and the capital building.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
thehoss257 said:
Moochie,

Traffic circles and roundabouts are very different from ugly, concrete, interstate highway ramps. Obviously the presence of the latter does not attract development. The removal of the Market Street ramp will be a positive development regardless of this issue. A well designed traffic circle, however, will not discourage development anywhere. There is no reason that development would stop at an East Street traffic circle. It would simply mark the entrance to Indianapolis’s historic mile square.

Like me, you want to see the core of Indianapolis expanded to the east. The introduction of a well designed traffic circle in addition to a foresighted development plan would encourage development on the eastern side of downtown. Putting the circle at College Avenue, however, places the facility four blocks from the nearest significant downtown building. You could almost fit the entire skyline of Indianapolis in this area. In addition, the eastern half of the skyline is already weak and needs investment. A College Avenue traffic circle would be too far from the core to be an effective downtown placemaking tool.

The facilities that I recommended on Market at West and East Streets would be more accurately described as traffic circles, not roundabouts. I describe them as traffic circles primarily because of their large size. They would be about two thirds the size of Monument Circle. The eastern traffic circle could be surrounded by 10 story buildings on scale with the Lacy, Guarantee, IPL and Circle Tower on Monument Circle. I picture human-scaled, modern facades of limestone quarried locally in Southern Indiana. In addition, the center of these traffic circles could someday hold monuments that would complement the soldiers and sailors monument and the capital building.
I'm just not seeing the benefit of a traffic circle there. The city plans to expand the brick and landscaping of the circle all the way to the railroad overpass, and none of the proposals so far have included a roundabout that I'm aware of. Check out the proposals:

http://oingyboingy.com/marketstreet.pdf

2.5 meg .pdf file, so you may want to "save as"

·
Registered
140 Posts
wow, removing the ramp will make a BIG difference. I assume other developments will spur immediately after the removal, what do you all think?

in terms of design, i know those are just 'generic' renderings but not sure if that area should look sooooooo brown brickish.

so i guess the zoning ordinances are well inforced?

·
Registered
581 Posts
At Pan Am Plaza, I suggest a site plan that would create a new more enclosed plaza. The southern building in the Pan Am complex could be razed to make way for a more cohesive plan. I also suggest five to ten story setbacks on any new buildings to tie them to other buildings in the Wholesale District. (Though I’m not sure if that area is actually included in that district)

These images illustrate what I mean by a more enclosed plaza space. By the way, I am not saying this is what the plaza should look like. I just want to see the city do some place making at the site. It would be a disapointment if the hotel were just plopped onto the existing plaza creating a compromized building and plaza (i.e. The Simon Building)

·
Registered
140 Posts
thehoss257, just curious, what is your profession or are you in school? you always have graphics, etc. I think your interest is great; I hope you are working or plan to work in a related field.

·
Cory
3,403 Posts
today there was a "retreat" for the members of the IRTC (Indianpolis Regional Transportation Council). The main topic was funding. The mayor appears to be shooting for the 2007 Session to get funding in place from the State and again, appears to be asking for 100% local funding. Anyway, I wanted to let you know that we have a "working" timeline that calls for the system to be operational by 2012; however, this of course is contingent on funding. More than likely a regional tax (similar to the stadium deal) would have to be implemented to get the $4 billion needed. I mentioned going after some of the Governor's "Major Moves" money and the mayor seemed open to that. That is all I have right now, but as I have mentioned, really expect this to become a hot topic in the coming months.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I was looking through some old articles in the Star and found one about the Sheraton at the Athletic Club, how did this deal die? Is there any chance of building a hotel at the AC anytime soon?

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Naptown said:
I was looking through some old articles in the Star and found one about the Sheraton at the Athletic Club, how did this deal die? Is there any chance of building a hotel at the AC anytime soon?
I don't think so. As far as I know, it's all condo now.

·
Cory
3,403 Posts
I remember that the Athletic Club was looking at having the parking lot to the south developed with a hotel as a way to generate money prior to the sale of the club. I would think that with the AC no longer operating, that option is done.

·
Cory
3,403 Posts
I read in the Urban Times that Lockerbie Park will begin construction this month...FINALLY! This is the large vacant parcel at Michigan and College, across the street from Indy's finest gay establishment, The 501! This project will have nearly 100 town home units, with commercial at the corner. Thanks to CorrND for the link the Hearthview, which is developing this. If you recall, there had orignally been a 10-15-story tower planned a few years ago, but the NIMBY's shot that down. Which, shows some of the ignorance of the neighborhood considering the area is sprinkled with highrises. Anyway...

Lockerbie Park

One thing I think is cool about Indy is that we don't have 5, 6, or 7 new residential projects going in, but rather 20, 21, or 22 +!! No, they may not all be flashey 30-story condo towers, but we have quality developments going in everywhere in all parts of our downtown. I think that the Northeast Quad, around Mass Ave, is something to be very proud of. I drive past this area every day when I am on 65/70 and it awesome to see all of the residential in this area. From high rises, to lofts, to townhomes, to single family, Indy is full of places to live downtown.

Also, Kroger is in the process of acquiring the adjoining parcels around its 16th Street store between Heron-Morton and Old Northside to build a new store! This will be anoth grocery store downtown! That says a lot about how many people live downtown!

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Shit, hopefully they will make an attempt to build something urban, especially compared to their past works at the two stores on 10th.

1 - 20 of 506 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.