SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 14627 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The old forum isn't working, I'm assuming that it reached capacity. Might as well use this one -- at least until the old one starts working again.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Anyone see this locked article in IBJ today? it states, "Indianapolis lacks a five-star hotel, a fact some hospitality experts think could hurt the city’s chances of landing the 2018 Super Bowl." I thought not only was the Conrad Indianapolis a 5 star hotel, but in the top rankings in the world?

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Anyone see this locked article in IBJ today? it states, "Indianapolis lacks a five-star hotel, a fact some hospitality experts think could hurt the city’s chances of landing the 2018 Super Bowl." I thought not only was the Conrad Indianapolis a 5 star hotel, but in the top rankings in the world?
And the JW too.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I thought the Conrad was 5 star as well. Oddly, while the IBJ article mentions every other major downtown hotel, they don't say anything about the Conrad other than a picture caption.

The article does mention the JW being a 4-star rated hotel.
I know we have several 4 star hotels, but I could have sworn at one point the Conrad Indianapolis was ranked in the top 20 in the world. Maybe they meant that it was ranked in the top 20 among Conrad hotels?

·
oink^
458 Posts
  • Conrad Indianapolis
  • Indianapolis Marriott Downtown
  • JW Marriott Indianapolis
  • Omni Severin
  • The Villa Inn, Restaurant and Spa
  • The Westin Indianapolis
Are all AAA ♦♦♦♦ properties.

The Hyatt Regency and The Alexander will also get ♦♦♦♦ when the next list comes out.

• The Alexander
  • Marriott Downtown
  • Conrad Indianapolis
  • Hyatt Regency Indianapolis
  • Omni Severin
All have four stars from Forbes (Mobil).

Expedia had ranked the Conrad #3 in the world, but it's no longer listed in the top 100.

I like to think the Conrad got dinged for parking cars on a public amenity...

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmmm. I really thought that we had 5 star hotels. Anyway, is having 5-star hotels even that big of a deal? I wouldn't think that it's that big of a turn off for a Super Bowl. I constantly check downtown hotel ratings on TripAdvisor and most of the hotels have really, really good reviews. Who cares if Forbes rates our hotels 4/5 stars when people that actually stay at the hotels rate them 5/5?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I thought the Conrad was 5 star as well. Oddly, while the IBJ article mentions every other major downtown hotel, they don't say anything about the Conrad other than a picture caption.

The article does mention the JW being a 4-star rated hotel.
Conrad was downgraded to 4.5 a few years ago, like that makes a difference. Conrad and dolce (alexander) have the reputations of high end luxury hotels. Never stayed at the alex but conrad is definitely top of the line.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Did anyone see the Indystar article about the pink-lettered sign in Carmel?
Yes, it amazed me that it was even a story. In short: Carmel has sign standards like every municipality. Carmel has sign permits like every municipality. Whatever store followed both requirements and was approved by law as the sign met all standards. Carmel rich somebody decided they didn't like the sign. They told Mr. Council who doesn't know jack snot about anything code wise. He made an issue and thus, 1st world problems.

1,642 Posts
  • Conrad Indianapolis
  • Indianapolis Marriott Downtown
  • JW Marriott Indianapolis
  • Omni Severin
  • The Villa Inn, Restaurant and Spa
Are all AAA ♦♦♦♦ properties.

The Hyatt Regency and The Alexander will also get ♦♦♦♦ when the next list comes out.

• The Alexander
  • Marriott Downtown
  • Conrad Indianapolis
  • Hyatt Regency Indianapolis
  • Omni Severin
All have four stars from Forbes (Mobil).

Expedia had ranked the Conrad #3 in the world, but it's no longer listed in the top 100.

I like to think the Conrad got dinged for parking cars on a public amenity...
Its not just the amount of 5 star hotels we have because I have a premium subscription and damn some of the requirements for 5 star are ridiculous.
I think to score Super Bowl 52 we need 1 more hotel in the downtown core and Pam Am plaza would be the ideal spot. 500-750 rooms would be great and as I have said before every room counts for the Super Bowl.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Yes, it amazed me that it was even a story. In short: Carmel has sign standards like every municipality. Carmel has sign permits like every municipality. Whatever store followed both requirements and was approved by law as the sign met all standards. Carmel rich somebody decided they didn't like the sign. They told Mr. Council who doesn't know jack snot about anything code wise. He made an issue and thus, 1st world problems.
Yep, my take too.

It's not as if this were a backlighted box sign...these are individual letters.

Yet I do understand the need for district design standards, and I think Carmel uses a zoning overlay for their Arts & Design district similar to Indy's RC zoning overlay. The Indy RC guidelines could be (and occasionally are) used to take this kind of criticism into account, as we saw with the Buffalo Wild Wings mess several years ago.

The RC guidelines are especially hard on red...awnings, graphics, window signs...and caused CVS some indigestion when they changed their trade dress to include red vinyl coverings on storefront "blackout" panels downtown and 16/Meridian. I heard ONS residents express very similar sentiments to the Carmelistas'. (I've coined the phrase to avoid offending the "Carmelite" Catholic order:) )

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Its not just the amount of 5 star hotels we have because I have a premium subscription and damn some of the requirements for 5 star are ridiculous.
I think to score Super Bowl 52 we need 1 more hotel in the downtown core and Pam Am plaza would be the ideal spot. 500-750 rooms would be great and as I have said before every room counts for the Super Bowl.
If having 5-star hotels is more important than having more hotel rooms (doubt it,) we should work on fixing up our current hotels before we build another one. Otherwise, I am all for building a new hotel on Pan Am Plaza, so long that the hotel can be sustained passed the Super Bowl.

Also, It seems like Moochie's posts on the old forum were deleted and that is what messed everything up (as pointed out by Hoosier.) Anybody know what happened to him? Was he forced to delete all of his posts? Did he get mad and delete all of them?

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Question for the eastsiders here. I made it out to the Irvington Halloween fest yesterday and had a great time but what's going on at the corner of Washington and Ritter? I know that building had sat vacant for years but it looks like its in the process of being demolished. I figured that either the neighborhood association or preservation committees would had prevented this.

On a related note, have there been infill projects on Washington over the past few years? The street felt much more developed than from what I remember in previous years but the last time I was in that particular of town was probably three years ago.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Question for the eastsiders here. I made it out to the Irvington Halloween fest yesterday and had a great time but what's going on at the corner of Washington and Ritter? I know that building had sat vacant for years but it looks like its in the process of being demolished. I figured that either the neighborhood association or preservation committees would had prevented this.

On a related note, have there been infill projects on Washington over the past few years? The street felt much more developed than from what I remember in previous years but the last time I was in that particular of town was probably three years ago.
That building is known as "The Old Post Office", which is a lot better than "The Old Plasma Center", which was its last use. It is owned by Irvington Development Organization, which is actively rehabbing it. They are in the process of raising funds for stuctural steel (to support the brick shell and interior) and a roof; they have received several grants already.

The streetscape, Irvington Lofts, and a new medical office building (next to Lofts at Bolton) are the only "infill", besides ongoing apartment rehabs by Reverie Estates and others. I think Irvington stands out from East Washington because less of the historic fabric has been destroyed over time.

1 - 20 of 14627 Posts