SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 14646 Posts

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
It seems like Moochie's posts on the old forum were deleted and that is what messed everything up (as pointed out by Hoosier.) Anybody know what happened to him? Was he forced to delete all of his posts? Did he get mad and delete all of them?
I'm curious too.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Question for the eastsiders here. I made it out to the Irvington Halloween fest yesterday and had a great time but what's going on at the corner of Washington and Ritter? I know that building had sat vacant for years but it looks like its in the process of being demolished. I figured that either the neighborhood association or preservation committees would had prevented this.

On a related note, have there been infill projects on Washington over the past few years? The street felt much more developed than from what I remember in previous years but the last time I was in that particular of town was probably three years ago.
To elaborate on what cdc said, obviously the building has been gutted, but the exterior is currently stabilized, and my through the grapevine understanding is that a steel interior structure is to be installed before the end of the year.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Conrad is the flagship brand of Hilton, just like the JW is for Marriott. I would not consider them luxury hotels. In fairness, I haven't stayed at the JW (though the common areas are nice). I have stayed at the Conrad and thought it was nothing special, and the service in the restaurant (since replaced) horrific. I was going to stay at the Alexander the last time I was in town but it was just too pricey. But I've stayed in a lot of downtown hotels and I'd have to say that the Homewood Suites on Meridian is by far my favorite.

However, you guys are very right at the city always tried to claim the Conrad was a five star hotel. They sold us the same line the last time, which is why the city had to pile massive subsidies into the Conrad. Now that they want to pour massive subsidies into something else, all of a sudden they have to denigrate the rest of the city's hotels so they can line somebody's pocket again.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Conrad is the flagship brand of Hilton, just like the JW is for Marriott. I would not consider them luxury hotels. In fairness, I haven't stayed at the JW (though the common areas are nice). I have stayed at the Conrad and thought it was nothing special, and the service in the restaurant (since replaced) horrific. I was going to stay at the Alexander the last time I was in town but it was just too pricey. But I've stayed in a lot of downtown hotels and I'd have to say that the Homewood Suites on Meridian is by far my favorite.

However, you guys are very right at the city always tried to claim the Conrad was a five star hotel. They sold us the same line the last time, which is why the city had to pile massive subsidies into the Conrad. Now that they want to pour massive subsidies into something else, all of a sudden they have to denigrate the rest of the city's hotels so they can line somebody's pocket again.
Waldorf astoria is hiltons flagship luxury line. Conrad used to be. Worldwide, it is considered a luxury hotel. There r only 4 us locations for conrad.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Heck, the Waldorf-Astoria itself isn't even that nice a hotel. The common areas are spectacular, but the rooms are mostly standard issue corporate types. I did once stay in a crazy "presidential suites" type place I got because they ran out of rooms, though. It was absolutely massive (think separate dining room with at least a table for 8-10). However, even that looked a bit in need of updating.

1,642 Posts
I'm seeing new posts pop up in the old thread but I still can't access it...

Are others able to get in there still?
I currently can.
Try accessing it via Google Chrome or another internet browser besides Iexplorer.

·
2,842 Posts
I'd recommend that we all forget the old thread and just use this. Most likely the moderators will archive the old thread anyway.

If you must access the old thread, try this:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=930116&page=661

That's a direct link to page 661 with the most recent posts. If you try to use the "Last Page" links from a browser, it will try to send you to page 729 which doesn't really exist. The android app (and probably the iOS app as well) appears to automatically try to access the last page, so it will probably always fail until the moderators reset things.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Why haven't one of the regulars here been crowned moderator anyway? Someone close to the discussions, or at least knowledgeable, would be best qualified to know when its spilled over.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Why haven't one of the regulars here been crowned moderator anyway? Someone close to the discussions, or at least knowledgeable, would be best qualified to know when its spilled over.
It's worth asking a current moderator about it. The Indianapolis thread has been one of the most active and read threads in this forum. It would be absurd if one of the regulars on here couldn't be crowned as a moderator.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Considering the source such a proposal would be highly suspect and dubious, at best.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I know that the new AUL parking garage isn't a favorite project with most of the readers of this thread, but I've got to say, it's actually not that bad looking (especially when lit at night with all the bright white LED's they used on the interior). Yes, I still wish they'd included more of a commercial component, but certain things about it (including the way they configured the sidewalks and new trees) make it one of the more attractive garages downtown, IMO. Now, we can just get some sort of higher profile development on the remainder of that block soon, perhaps it would all even out....

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I know that the new AUL parking garage isn't a favorite project with most of the readers of this thread, but I've got to say, it's actually not that bad looking (especially when lit at night with all the bright white LED's they used on the interior). Yes, I still wish they'd included more of a commercial component, but certain things about it (including the way they configured the sidewalks and new trees) make it one of the more attractive garages downtown, IMO. Now, we can just get some sort of higher profile development on the remainder of that block soon, perhaps it would all even out....

It's probably the best it could be for a parking garage. I was and still am all for it because it can help with development of surface lots.

·
Registered
654 Posts
It's not horrible looking, but it has killed that stretch of Illinois Street for decades to come. As was noted here when the project was in the approval stages, building the garage mid block would have allowed for the exact same amount of structured and surface parking but would have allowed at least the possibility of street friendly development. It was a missed opportunity.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I think they could have been a bit more creative with the design of the parking garage but, I suppose it beats looking at empty surface lots.

·
2,842 Posts
I can't believe the sentiment I'm reading about the OneAmerica garage. Unless something has changed dramatically in the last week or two since I last went by it, it's one of the most god-awful parking garages in downtown. Even IUPUI has figured out how to make a reasonably interesting-looking garage. For gods sake, the Illinois side of the OneAmerica garage is an ENTIRE BLOCK of monotony!

21 - 40 of 14646 Posts