SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 14646 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
I can't believe the sentiment I'm reading about the OneAmerica garage. Unless something has changed dramatically in the last week or two since I last went by it, it's one of the most god-awful parking garages in downtown. Even IUPUI has figured out how to make a reasonably interesting-looking garage. For gods sake, the Illinois side of the OneAmerica garage is an ENTIRE BLOCK of monotony!
Perhaps the soft approvals are related to the fresh polished look of the completed project. The material is shiny and clean, the sidewalk is brand new and free of cracks and gum, the landscaping is straight and fresh.........this all changes in time. One America chose these materials to match their tower. Has anyone here looked at how the tower is fairing recently? It has stains and fades and cracks. I will admit that most of my frustration comes from the failure of our local leaders to demand more (or even the basic guidelines) from such a large-scale project that, oh by the way, we funded.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Perhaps the soft approvals are related to the fresh polished look of the completed project. The material is shiny and clean, the sidewalk is brand new and free of cracks and gum, the landscaping is straight and fresh.........this all changes in time. One America chose these materials to match their tower. Has anyone here looked at how the tower is fairing recently? It has stains and fades and cracks. I will admit that most of my frustration comes from the failure of our local leaders to demand more (or even the basic guidelines) from such a large-scale project that, oh by the way, we funded.
Don't look over here (points at OneAmerica garage). Look over THERE (points at Axis/Block 400)!!! They average out to good. (remove tongue from cheek)

I have a hard time objecting too very much if the AUL structured parking looks like AUL and is connected to it. I think this one goes in the "necessary evil" department with all the other fugly parking garages (too numerous to name).

1,642 Posts
I can't believe the sentiment I'm reading about the OneAmerica garage. Unless something has changed dramatically in the last week or two since I last went by it, it's one of the most god-awful parking garages in downtown. Even IUPUI has figured out how to make a reasonably interesting-looking garage. For gods sake, the Illinois side of the OneAmerica garage is an ENTIRE BLOCK of monotony!
Well im fine with the parking garage because it doesn't just kill 2 birds with one stone. the 1500 parking spaces in that garage could easily remove 2 or more surface lots. As someone else mentioned a necessary evil indeed but it opens up so much land for redevelopment.

·
2,834 Posts
Well im fine with the parking garage because it doesn't just kill 2 birds with one stone. the 1500 parking spaces in that garage could easily remove 2 or more surface lots. As someone else mentioned a necessary evil indeed but it opens up so much land for redevelopment.
A garage was a necessary evil, I think everybody accepts that.

This garage
-- a publicly financed monstrosity that offers almost nothing to the public -- was not necessary.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
A garage was a necessary evil, I think everybody accepts that.

This garage
-- a publicly financed monstrosity that offers almost nothing to the public -- was not necessary.
+1

If OA was truly interested in being a good corporate citizen, they would have accepted some design compromises that would have left the property adaptable for better uses as time goes on. As it is, that is pretty much impossible in the realm of affordability. A number of changes could have made this a structure that would deliver more value than simply a place to store cars

·
Registered
418 Posts
Just a question, because I don't know the answer... how difficult would it be to reconfigure portions of the lower floor on this (or any other) parking garage for commercial uses at a later point in time? Also, I still am unable to discern exactly WHERE in this garage the limited amount of commercial space that WAS to be included is actually located.

P.S. I still DO think that this garage LOOKS good, as far as a garages go. And yes, Indy'd, part of that IS probably because everything is new, and fresh, and clean. But also, it's because of the lighting they used, and the treatment of the landscape and sidewalks.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Frankly, in this case I think it's better to think locally than globally.

1. Parking in downtown Indianapolis is absolutely necessary.
2. Surface parking in downtown Indianapolis is a waste of precious land.
3. Any structured parking in Indianapolis is better than the surface parking it replaces.

All here know I am a realist about cars, streets, and other car-supporting infrastructure. Outside of NYC, DC, Philly, Boston, and Chicago, we just can't be anti-car or ignorant of the NEED to accommodate cars as the primary mode of transportation for the vast majority of residents.

Being "anti-car" is being "anti-people" in Indianapolis. Parking garages are not "anti-transit". They are not "anti-development". And IMO they are not "bad development", even when it can be argued that they "kill" a block...especially if they activate a bunch of blocks elsewhere.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Just a question, because I don't know the answer... how difficult would it be to reconfigure portions of the lower floor on this (or any other) parking garage for commercial uses at a later point in time? Also, I still am unable to discern exactly WHERE in this garage the limited amount of commercial space that WAS to be included is actually located.

P.S. I still DO think that this garage LOOKS good, as far as a garages go. And yes, Indy'd, part of that IS probably because everything is new, and fresh, and clean. But also, it's because of the lighting they used, and the treatment of the landscape and sidewalks.
Garage deck heights are very low and they don't do a good job of accommodating wiring, plumbing, and HVAC infrastructure in a world where people expect 10-foot or 12-foot ceilings in commercial or office spaces.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Other pics as well

Can someone post up a recent picture of the garage? I haven't seen it quite awhile.
Not only just the garage, but what about all the activity on the NW quad of downtown. Haven't seen updated images there in a while.... Canal apts, block 400..... N Capital or Senate.. (can't remember the name... old building redo here..)

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I'm no longer a mod on the board. You'll have to contact one of the mods or admins for our section.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

1,642 Posts
Reactions: ChuckScraperMiami#1

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Looks like somebody made this thread a sticky and closed the last one. I just want to say thanks to everybody involved in that.

41 - 60 of 14646 Posts