SkyscraperCity banner

14601 - 14620 of 14707 Posts

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
"With the recent announcement of a 2.2-million-square-foot distribution facility in Hancock County, the industrial construction pipeline in Indianapolis will exceed 14 million square feet, a figure that is among the top six in the United States."
This isn't exactly great news. All those buildings offer is a handful of middle-class supervisory and management jobs and a whole lot of $17/hour odd-shift work.

·
Registered
325 Posts
This isn't exactly great news. All those buildings offer is a handful of middle-class supervisory and management jobs and a whole lot of $17/hour odd-shift work.
You are making it sound like there are hundreds of companies waiting to announce new high paying jobs in semi-rural indiana. That's just not the case....

The reality is Central Indiana is a great logistics spot, and companies are capitalizing on that, especially in this environment where next day shipping is becoming extremely important. Part of the Indianapolis recruitment pitch to higher paying jobs is Indy's unique logistics advantage, so these projects are important for Indy to stay ahead of peers on multiple fronts.

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
You are making it sound like there are hundreds of companies waiting to announce new high paying jobs in semi-rural indiana. That's just not the case....
I think you've tipped over into boosterism if that's what you think I said.

I stated the truth about the jobs that these facilities offer: a bunch more $17/hour jobs doesn't help the region or the state raise the median household income, which is one of the stated goals of economic development in Indianapolis.

By definition, "semi rural" sites are cornfields on the edge of development, which is what describes the Mount Comfort corridor in Hancock County as well as the SR 9 corridor, the Whitestown area, and far-south Greenwood and Franklin along I-65 where these things are being built. Tech and HQ jobs don't generally go there. (Exception: Elanco, which was always in Greenfield.)

The fact is that they are already being leapfrogged by suburban housing development farther out, so the reality is these sites are "metropolitan" and draw their prospective employees from the metropolitan area...not rural hinterlands where relatively few people live.

Note that Indy did not get Amazon Air or their "logistics hub" despite having seven or eight existing warehouses in the area.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Could we please take this topic to the Indy discussion board and talk and or show pics or discussions about downtown, uptown example beautiful broad ripple, fountain square, etc. than to keep talking about or going on and on about a non urban development issue , this type of stuff in the Indianapolis thread kind of makes Indy look like a city of goofballs when we know that is not the case , just look at all the other cities including the 2ed largest and they seem to be on the same page with other cities when it comes to development but not Indy, so let’s stop this stuff and get with what the title says and what it really is referring to 🤔🤔🤔

·
Registered
312 Posts
Could we please take this topic to the Indy discussion board and talk and or show pics or discussions about downtown, uptown example beautiful broad ripple, fountain square, etc. than to keep talking about or going on and on about a non urban development issue , this type of stuff in the Indianapolis thread kind of makes Indy look like a city of goofballs when we know that is not the case , just look at all the other cities including the 2ed largest and they seem to be on the same page with other cities when it comes to development but not Indy, so let’s stop this stuff and get with what the title says and what it really is referring to 🤔🤔🤔
I completely disagree and find the discussion interesting, enlightening, and exactly the sort of conversation for which this forum is designed.

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
Yeah, considering industrial is the main sector of development actually occurring right now, our logistics economy is incredibly relevant.
Really the only other significant construction besides giant warehouses in the metro is the new county courthouse and jail, now that 16Tech Building 1 is complete. Along with all those suburban subdivisions.

It will be great when the Signia actually breaks ground, although I expect it will interfere rather significantly with inbound traffic on Illinois/Meridian from the south.

And about that time, those of us north of Center Township can start bitching about Purple Line construction on 38th and Post.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Really the only other significant construction besides giant warehouses in the metro is the new county courthouse and jail, now that 16Tech Building 1 is complete. Along with all those suburban subdivisions.

It will be great when the Signia actually breaks ground, although I expect it will interfere rather significantly with inbound traffic on Illinois/Meridian from the south.

And about that time, those of us north of Center Township can start bitching about Purple Line construction on 38th and Post.
Well, I guess we shouldn't ignore multifamily that still seems to have a heartbeat.

Here's what I can think of:
Under construction (so all decisions made pre-Covid): Elaan Ph2, the Ardmore, JC Hart projects by BRICs and in Fountain Square, TWG project on 16th. GRID and Assembly on E Washington just finished

Announced and plausible: Holladay project on Shelby, Glendale apts, Walker Theatre apts, and I heard Bottleworks is (unsurprisingly) focusing on apts instead of office next

Announced and seemingly stalled out: 421 Penn, 9onCanal Ph2, Block 20, Union 525 apts

Plus, lots of townhome activity still

·
Registered
368 Posts
Well, I guess we shouldn't ignore multifamily that still seems to have a heartbeat.

Here's what I can think of:
Under construction (so all decisions made pre-Covid): Elaan Ph2, the Ardmore, JC Hart projects by BRICs and in Fountain Square, TWG project on 16th. GRID and Assembly on E Washington just finished

Announced and plausible: Holladay project on Shelby, Glendale apts, Walker Theatre apts, and I heard Bottleworks is (unsurprisingly) focusing on apts instead of office next

Announced and seemingly stalled out: 421 Penn, 9onCanal Ph2, Block 20, Union 525 apts

Plus, lots of townhome activity still
I can't give out too many details, and nothing is official yet, but 9 on Canal II doesn't seem to be happening anymore, but instead a different developer is planning on building on that site and likely purchasing the existing 9 on Canal building and converting it to normal market rate apartments from its current student housing design.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Now that’s what i call true urban development news Indy style and i love it, exactly why i come on this site everyday to see or read about development stories like this, even picture updates of current development and proposed development is just so super cool to see, mainly from Indy but also from around the state as well including a few out of state Midwest cities and some interesting cities like a Tampa and Orlando etc. but for Mr. cdc guy and urban Aziz this up to date development news is truly outstanding and what the majority of us come on this site for. Thanks and keep up the good work...👌🏽👍👍🤗👏

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
We're in a deep recession. New projects are designed and announced and built when people are confident about the future, not when the economic situation is uncertain to the max.

9 on the Canal is an out of the way single building. Contrast this with nearby 16Tech, a major multi phase development that has been pending for 15 years or more. (I still have the first study/plan from about 2004-05 in a box somewhere.)

Remember that 16Tech was significantly delayed by the last recession. Signia is delayed by this one. Warehouse construction is driven by the ongoing shift to e-commerce and is so far immune to the trend. Single-family homes are in great demand because mortgage money is cheap; the same dynamic props up apartment resales but may not lead to new projects.

9 Canal is a different case: it's in the "value" category because students are not living on campus and grown-up professionals don't want to share apartments so much.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I can't give out too many details, and nothing is official yet, but 9 on Canal II doesn't seem to be happening anymore, but instead a different developer is planning on building on that site and likely purchasing the existing 9 on Canal building and converting it to normal market rate apartments from its current student housing design.
Can confirm these plans.

·
Registered
325 Posts

"MWA Masterbuilders LLC and Indy Golf Part LLC plan to start construction on the project in mid-2021 on land immediately west of the river, north of West Morris Street."

This is actually a really interesting idea (having a downtown-ish location), I think this could potentially be a kickstarter to help grow some development west of the white river

·
Registered
368 Posts

"MWA Masterbuilders LLC and Indy Golf Part LLC plan to start construction on the project in mid-2021 on land immediately west of the river, north of West Morris Street."

This is actually a really interesting idea (having a downtown-ish location), I think this could potentially be a kickstarter to help grow some development west of the white river
I can’t view the article, but is this a completely private investment? Or will it be receiving funding/tax breaks? The exact location isn’t mentioned from what I’ve been able to see on twitter, but looks like it’ll go on the west side of the river around Morris Street & White River Parkway. That area is mostly industrial and kinda rundown, so I’m here for this project. Obviously Fishers has Top Golf and that whole area is booming with construction currently, so it’ll be interesting to see what it does for this area. Nashville TN, Fort Worth TX, & Birmingham AL have urban Top Golf locations. For Nashville & Birmingham the areas around TG have a lot of new construction going on, but they’re also much closer to the city core, where this is pretty separated from our Downtown. Fort Worth’s location is closer to their downtown like ours, but from Google Maps it looks like it’s somewhat industrial like where the one here would go.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,617
I can’t view the article, but is this a completely private investment? Or will it be receiving funding/tax breaks? The exact location isn’t mentioned from what I’ve been able to see on twitter, but looks like it’ll go on the west side of the river around Morris Street & White River Parkway. That area is mostly industrial and kinda rundown, so I’m here for this project. Obviously Fishers has Top Golf and that whole area is booming with construction currently, so it’ll be interesting to see what it does for this area. Nashville TN, Fort Worth TX, & Birmingham AL have urban Top Golf locations. For Nashville & Birmingham the areas around TG have a lot of new construction going on, but they’re also much closer to the city core, where this is pretty separated from our Downtown. Fort Worth’s location is closer to their downtown like ours, but from Google Maps it looks like it’s somewhat industrial like where the one here would go.
Nashville's Top Golf is in a nearly identical location as where our Flying Tee is slated to be.

Our Flying Tee will be across the river from the thick of downtown, near Lucas Oil Stadium, and adjacent to industrial sites. It will be 1.2 miles away from South Meridian/The Wholesale District.

Nashville's Top Golf is across the river from the thick of downtown, near Nissan Stadium, adjacent to industrial sites. It is 1.1 miles away from Broadway.

·
Registered
325 Posts
No tax breaks from what I read, these are some additional details, from what it sounds like it seems like this will offer better views than the Nashville, FW, & Birmingham locations:

"The property slated for the Indianapolis development is along South White River Parkway West Drive, adjacent to the White River Trail and a wooded buffer along the river. Alexander declined to specify an exact address, as rezoning applications aren’t expected to be filed with the city until next week......The site is south of Interstate 70 and is about one mile southwest of Lucas Oil Stadium"

"People are going to be shocked by how well the facility meshes with the waterfront of the White River."

"Alexander said the partnership includes businesspeople from other downtown ventures, including the Tru by Hilton hotel now under construction, adding that ownership details will be made public in the coming weeks."

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Speaking of the Tru Hotel by Hilton (^^ ) I noticed earlier today some new exterior color being added to that under construction, eight story building. It is a somewhat narrow band running vertically that has a variety of colored rectangular panels. The four different colors that I saw were: Dark Purple (Plum), Aqua, Mustard Yellow and Light Blue.

Sounds pretty wild as written down I’d imagine. I thought it looked okay though - in fact it adds a definite splash of color in the view from the south of that growing group of buildings down there on S Russell and S Meridian Streets. You kind of have to see it in person to really be able to get a feel for what that grouping of colors looks like. It’s not a large area - so it’s more like just a “trim” area on the building. There is still a lot of exterior finish work that needs to happen though, so I’m not real sure how the final product will look when all of the rest of the work is completed. Definitely interesting and something “different” to see though.

14601 - 14620 of 14707 Posts