SkyscraperCity banner

14641 - 14650 of 14650 Posts

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
starting off the original post pertaining to the year to year job numbers with a statement like “good news for development in Indy” probably wasn’t the most accurate statement about the news
Exactly why I reacted as I did.

Presenting bad news as good news online has been normalized, and I think it's incumbent on everyone to stomp it out when someone tries to start it. End of political statement

·
Registered
305 Posts

·
Registered
5,618 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Here's an open question for people with real data:

Specifically looking at the homebuying boom in Indy's urban core, where are the buyers coming from? I see blocks and blocks of the near eastside being flipped, and while the appeal makes sense, I truly don't know the average profile of a buyer. Are they a current urban Indy apartment dweller? Or upgrading from a smaller house? Or moving from out of town?

One possible explanation: the lagged homebuying moment for millenials is now happening, and there is a strong preference for urban walkable housing stock. But the suburban market seems to be growing even faster, so that counters the idea of a preferences shift. Instead it seems like aggregate demand has gone up.

Very curious to see the 2020 census data for these answers.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
The peak Millennial age band was 25-29 two years ago, so those millions of kids (my kids' age, so kids to me) are now 27-31 and mortgage interest rates are lower than they have ever been in my lifetime and theirs (something I did not imagine possible 5 years ago when my wife and I refinanced our house at the bottom of the market). Bottom line: In Indianapolis it's way cheaper to buy than to rent.

You are correct that urban vs. suburban preference seems not to have shifted a whole lot. What has shifted is that we now have HGTV and first-time working professional (above median income) buyers want houses that have already been rehabbed and supplied with stone-and-stainless kitchens, spa-like master bathrooms, etc. Those are either urban rehabs or brand-new exurban places.

At the next notch down (at or below median household income) some of the outer Center Township and inner Washington and Lawrence Township flips end up priced lower than brand new suburban places, in the $135-175,000 range, vs. $200,000+ for new tan vinyl boxes.

(SSC won't insert the photo link for the demographic bar chart, so click here.)

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Design podcast interview with Vop Osili

·
Registered
294 Posts
Wow, election really sucked the energy out of this board. Here are some of my takeaways from the election, as they relate to Indy dev:
  • IPS board remains innovation-focused. This likely means continuing on the pace of consolidating real estate holdings and reimagining the focus of urban elementary options. (Personally, I think this is wise.)
  • State legislature is even more red, so won't expect many favors for IndyGo or other divisive Indy-related issues.
  • Assuming Biden and R Senate, will probably get some moderate stimulus that will fund some additional local infrastructure projects.
Anything else?

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
I don't see IPS shedding any more real estate, unless they decide to divest the former John Marshall and Northwest High Schools.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I don't see IPS shedding any more real estate, unless they decide to divest the former John Marshall and Northwest High Schools.
Obviously there's a lot of politics involved (which I don't really follow closely), but Broad Ripple and John Marshall definitely seem to be on the table. Howe, Manuel, and NW all seem like future possibilities too, although more of a longshot. This article seems to indicate they may be digging deeper into their pockets and may be more flexible moving forward.

14641 - 14650 of 14650 Posts