Status
Not open for further replies.
1641 - 1660 of 3172 Posts

·
Banned
911 Posts
Welcome JSKI!!

Here is a nice photo of the sprawl in Central Indiana:

Looks to me as if colleges and universities (especially the five big state universities) create sprawl. :lol:

Seriously, though: my first observation is the development patterns are all centered on county courthouses, which are in turn arrayed around the state capital. This development pattern is pretty much what location theory would predict in a flat plain, at least as I hazily recall location theory from my college days.

·
Banned
911 Posts
I guess we put 'em all to sleep, Idyllic. :lol:

Guess it's time for a moratorium on the one-way street argument, since neither of us is gonna change our mind.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I guess we put 'em all to sleep, Idyllic. :lol:

Guess it's time for a moratorium on the one-way street argument, since neither of us is gonna change our mind.
Oh sure, you want me to stop, now that you've had the last say.
Now I'll have to forego my comments about the one-way streets contributing to sprawl :nuts:

Seriously, I was thinking the same thing about nobody else chiming in.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Damn! =0
Who could have done that?!
I hope to god we don't have some downtown arson freak.

·
1981 Civic
2,911 Posts
Welcome JSKI!!

Here is a nice photo of the sprawl in Central Indiana:

Interesting. You can discern several nodes along the major highways; there's an Indianapolis-Anderson-Muncie axis along I-69, an Indianapolis-Carmel-Westfield-Kokomo axis on US 31, and a couple of weaker axes to the south along SR 37 and I-65.

As far as the Cosmo is concerned, ugh. I'm overwhelmed with diappointment as well as frustration; me and my girlfriend were planning to move in after completion.

·
2,850 Posts
Interesting. You can discern several nodes along the major highways; there's an Indianapolis-Anderson-Muncie axis along I-69, an Indianapolis-Carmel-Westfield-Kokomo axis on US 31, and a couple of weaker axes to the south along SR 37 and I-65.

As far as the Cosmo is concerned, ugh. I'm overwhelmed with diappointment as well as frustration; me and my girlfriend were planning to move in after completion.
My wife and I also considered a move there until I was overwhelmed by the prices. They're going to be pretty expensive. I believe Flaherty or Collins was quoted as saying they'll be $1.40/sq.ft on average, which is about 50% higher than other canal apartments. Our canal apartment is about $0.85/sq.ft., which is relatively high for Indianapolis to begin with. The Cosmo's corner units at Senate/Michigan were quoted to me at $2900 and listed at 1577 - 1620 sq. ft. on the website. That's $1.79-1.83/sq.ft. No thanks!

·
2,850 Posts
From Indianapolis Downtown Inc.'s Newsletter

Hilton Garden Inn installs solar panels

The Hilton Garden Inn Downtown was awarded a $19,600 grant from the Indiana Department of Energy and Defense to install a 4.05 kW solar array on the hotel's roof, making it one of the largest arrays in Indianapolis . The grant will also fund an environmental education component. Guests will be able to see a real-time display of energy production from the solar panels, displayed in the hotel lobby.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
That's great! :)
There should be solar panels on most downtown buildings.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Awesome news about the solar panels on the Hilton Garden Inn! Interested to see how much energy is actually produced (vs. just being a PR move), but I applaud them for it; I'm a big solar guy.

In other news, looks like Kosene is thinking of turning a portion of The Maxwell condos into apartments. IBJ story here.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
What's with the M&I Bank Building?

I was downtown on Maryland street yesterday and noticed that the upper windows on the south facade of first indiana plaza had plywood over them. It looks pretty trashy. Was this due to any recent storm damage?

I've also been through Irvington and it looks like work is moving right along on Christopher Piazza's Audubon Court Luxury Apartment building. There were about 10 trucks, exterior painters, and a lot of noise. The Audubon Road is very nice.

Another thing about Indy that I just recently discovered was Sacred Heart Church and Union Street. That has to be my favorite cathedral in Indy and the street has so much potential. Very Chicago-esque.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I was downtown on Maryland street yesterday and noticed that the upper windows on the south facade of first indiana plaza had plywood over them. It looks pretty trashy. Was this due to any recent storm damage?
There was an accident with the window washing crew a few months back. A support cord broke. Fortunately, the crew's harnesses held as they dangled from the side of the building. It was pretty crazy to see them just hanging there for hours before they could get saved.

Also, I agree with the Sacred Heart church. I was in that neighborhood for the first time ever last weekend. There's a newly refurbished bar a block east of there called the Vollrath...it's got an awesome street-level entry.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Another thing about Indy that I just recently discovered was Sacred Heart Church and Union Street. That has to be my favorite cathedral in Indy and the street has so much potential. Very Chicago-esque.
It burned down a few years ago.
They did a pretty impressive job of rebuilding it and restoring it down to the smallest statue.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
By the way, Census Bureau county level estimates for July 1, 2008 were released. Indianapolis MSA is at 1,715,549, an increase of 22,812 or 1.3%. This growth rate is down from the previous year, which featured growth of 24,498 or 1.5%.

While this isn't unusual this year, there were other Midwestern cities that out-performed. I think Indy slowed down last year too. The regional growth advantage appears to be getting slowly eroded.

On the plus side, both Marion and Madison County posted small gains again last year.

1641 - 1660 of 3172 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.