Skyscraper City Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
5341 - 5360 of 14568 Posts

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I have yet to see a vehicle park perpendicularly on the trail. the pic below seems to be the preferred method, and the method that would work out for all concerned. Notice that a trail sized swath easily cuts thru the Conrad's area, and yes, those are Conrad guests getting on their bikes. Warms my heart.

At the moment, yes.

edit - actually, at the moment there are 9 vehicles parked 3 up parallel on the trail blocking the entire thing. Most are news vehicles and there is security, so something is going on. Not a usual situation.

Regardless, I've seen tons of valet activity on the trail, not one pulled in perpendicularly. If I was a valet, parallel would be exactly how I'd do it. For those guys it's all about speed and ease of access, rules be damned.

·
2,961 Posts
The city has given several reasons for the delay, including the trolley tracks, the need to get permission from the owner of PNC Bank to access their basement to fill in old light wells, and a delay with getting utilities relocated.

Regarding the trolley tracks, I understand the need to test them for hazardous materials and document them for historic research; however, the city knew or should have known the tracks where under the street and a process should have been in place to test and document them before construction began. Similarly, the need to access the PNC Bank building should have been dealt with either before construction began, or in a timely manner if it was discovered after construction began.
Don't misconstrue me as an apologizer! Just clarifying why the tracks would be an issue on Virginia and not on Shelby.

I agree, particularly after encountering tracks on Mass Ave, there's no reason they shouldn't have been prepared to deal with tracks on Virginia. It's not like historic maps of the streetcar routes don't exist.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
I have yet to see a vehicle park perpendicularly on the trail. the pic below seems to be the preferred method, and the method that would work out for all concerned. Notice that a trail sized swath easily cuts thru the Conrad's area, and yes, those are Conrad guests getting on their bikes. Warms my heart.
Over on Urban Indy there was a semi-critical question about why it would be in the Conrad's interest to give a little on this issue.

The Cultural Trail is a bona fide world-class amenity, and it is not beyond the realm of reality to imagine that visiting world-class tourists staying at one of Indy's downtown world-class hotels might also be bicyclists who would want to ride the trail.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Over on Urban Indy there was a semi-critical question about why it would be in the Conrad's interest to give a little on this issue.

The Cultural Trail is a bona fide world-class amenity, and it is not beyond the realm of reality to imagine that visiting world-class tourists staying at one of Indy's downtown world-class hotels might also be bicyclists who would want to ride the trail.
A lot of hotels rent bicycles... especially in Europe.

They're renting some bicycle like monstrosities on the Canal downtown.. I wonder if any downtown businesses located on the Cultural Trail will do so? Maybe a parking garage?

·
Registered
187 Posts
They are parking cars on the Trail, in whatever direction. Why give any love? Giving love is a form of Stockholm Syndrome. But we can wait until the C T on Washington St. is opened up from Alabama to Capital in a few months and see what happens. (P e r p e n d i c u l a r)

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
They are parking cars on the Trail, in whatever direction. Why give any love? Giving love is a form of Stockholm Syndrome. But we can wait until the C T on Washington St. is opened up from Alabama to Capital in a few months and see what happens. (P e r p e n d i c u l a r)
They were parked in parallel pairs when I drove by around noon today.

Even if the trail didn't go through, this isn't acceptable use of a public sidewalk.

There's just so much frigging room. That picture above looks like they've gained 3 times the space. WTF.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
They were parked in parallel pairs when I drove by around noon today.

Even if the trail didn't go through, this isn't acceptable use of a public sidewalk.

There's just so much frigging room. That picture above looks like they've gained 3 times the space. WTF.
So, how about that donut shop opening soon? What's not to love about this town?

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Locked article at ibj.com about a new mixed-use Lockerbie project

http://www.ibj.com/developer-plans-multiuse-27m-lockerbie-project/PARAMS/article/28882

Developer plans multi-use $27M Lockerbie project
On a prime Lockerbie parcel where more ambitious development proposals have fizzled in the past, a developer wants to build a mix of 190 affordable and market-rate apartments, 44,000 square feet of retail and office space, and more than 300 mostly underground parking spaces.

---

I'm assuming this is proposed for the lot at the NW corner of College and Michigan.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Locked article at ibj.com about a new mixed-use Lockerbie project

http://www.ibj.com/developer-plans-multiuse-27m-lockerbie-project/PARAMS/article/28882

Developer plans multi-use $27M Lockerbie project
On a prime Lockerbie parcel where more ambitious development proposals have fizzled in the past, a developer wants to build a mix of 190 affordable and market-rate apartments, 44,000 square feet of retail and office space, and more than 300 mostly underground parking spaces.

---

I'm assuming this is proposed for the lot at the NW corner of College and Michigan.
I believe Whitsett is the same group working to convert the old Central Restaurant building into residences.... Does anyone know if progress has been made on that project?

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
So that's right on the county line. I'm assuming they'll be on the Hamilton County side.

This has to be about more than just enabling them to "put all of its area employees on one office floor instead of having them scattered on six floors" (give me a break), since there is plenty of office space downtown.

Anyone know how this affects their taxes or the advantages a bank would have in Hamilton over Marion? Other than the obvious "there are more affluent people on the north side" answer?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey guys...just came across this blog entry about a new development in Fletcher Place...not far from Hinge. Wanted to see your thoughts. I have to say I am a little disappointed with house they addressed the corner. These corners off the diagonal streets always present great opportunities and we often just don't know how to resolve them...

http://www.milhausdevelopment.com/blogs/blog/categories/news

All in all, it's great to see more density coming to Virginia Ave.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Given the amount of people who live in the burbs and drive downtown, this may actually be a cheaper move for their employees. It would be interesting to see the geography of their employment base to see how much "cheaper" the net move of this is on the region as a whole vs how much Old National itself is saving.

My work's HQ moved 3 miles away about 3 years ago and some people freaked out over 3 extra miles. I wonder how many people at Old National will flip about this.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
So that's right on the county line. I'm assuming they'll be on the Hamilton County side.

This has to be about more than just enabling them to "put all of its area employees on one office floor instead of having them scattered on six floors" (give me a break), since there is plenty of office space downtown.

Anyone know how this affects their taxes or the advantages a bank would have in Hamilton over Marion? Other than the obvious "there are more affluent people on the north side" answer?
There are tangible and intangible advantages to consolidation. Less space, probably at a lower rate, is the big tangible. The intangible is more face-to-face collaboration and more flexibility in layout.

They also get "free" parking in the Duke development. That's a money savings for either the bank or its employees or both.

Plus, I'd guess that the top management (the decision-makers) are all commuting to downtown from north of Kessler Blvd./56th St. Probably north of 71st.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
There are tangible and intangible advantages to consolidation. Less space, probably at a lower rate, is the big tangible. The intangible is more face-to-face collaboration and more flexibility in layout.

They also get "free" parking in the Duke development. That's a money savings for either the bank or its employees or both.

Plus, I'd guess that the top management (the decision-makers) are all commuting to downtown from north of Kessler Blvd./56th St. Probably north of 71st.
Your upper-management commute point makes sense. Don't know if that enough of a reason, but maybe.

To your other point, they could've just as easily consolidated into a Marion County or downtown office building. Plenty of space to consolidate into with free parking.

There's got to be some bigger-picture financial reason to move into Hamilton County than just something like parking savings or a commute. I just don't know enough about the business tax structure to say what that is.

5341 - 5360 of 14568 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.