SkyscraperCity banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1601 - 1620 of 14568 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Saw this little rendering in the channel 13 story for the new fountain in Fountain Square.

They interviewed Craig Von Deylen of PVA about their new IMOCA building and also talked to him about the Murphy building. Anyway, as you can see from the rendering, it looks like they've got plans to put in more storefronts. For those not familiar with the building, none of those windows or awnings on the right facade are there right now.

Not really digging the blue, btw.
Interesting concept. But would adding more storefronts on the side render the grass in front of it useless?

If I remember this space correctly, that piece of grass is pretty big. And completely unused right now.

There's more than enough room there for a two- or three-story apartment building (built off a single-loaded corridor that hugs the side of the Murphy Building) and still have room for storefronts on the first floor.

·
Banned
911 Posts
Yeah, whichever way any of it goes, it all is corporatified... Need to go lie down.
News today:

(from Inside Indiana Business)

"The new name for a central Indiana entertainment venue may soon be facing a legal challenge. Live Nation announced earlier this week that the Murat Centre has been renamed Old National Centre. However, our partners at Network Indiana/WIBC report the group that owns the building says Live Nation did not have the authority to make the change. The Murat Temple Association says it is looking into what its legal options are to challenge the renaming."

·
Banned
911 Posts
Strike Two...

More from Inside Indiana Business

"The Indianapolis Airport Authority is expected to award a consulting contract to Landrum & Brown Inc. this morning for a major land use study encompassing all of its properties, including reliever airports. But much of the focus will be on future uses for the former Indianapolis International Airport, which some envision as the hub of a major urban development known as an "Aerotropolis." Memphis and Detroit are among several U.S. cities also pursuing the concept, which can combine commercial, retail, residential and logistics development."

So the airport authority just spent 50 years buying out residential neighborhoods around the airport, partly for noise reasons. Now they're going to try to sell the idea of living underneath the nightly parade of FedEx planes on High School Road?

Also in the story, this is a $2 million "feasibility study", with an undetermined "fee" to the UNC professor who devised the "Aerotropolis" concept. Aaron, have you hung out your "transportation consultant" shingle yet? Apparently there's big money in that field. :nuts:

·
Banned
911 Posts
...and finally, a hit

Last development tidbit from Inside Indiana Business:

"The 2012 Indianapolis Super Bowl Host Committee next week will be among six groups announcing a new investment in a local neighborhood. The funding is expected to assist in the funding of affordable-housing and commercial development in the targeted area. Indianapolis Mayor Greg Ballard and officials from State Farm Insurance Company and the John H. Boner Community Center will also participate."

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
There's more than enough room there for a two- or three-story apartment building (built off a single-loaded corridor that hugs the side of the Murphy Building) and still have room for storefronts on the first floor.
I'd prefer that kind of approach too. Or at least some sort of additional gallery space. I'd always envisioned some sort of glass gallery cap to that end of the building.

My friend at SEND did tell me there are plans for some sort of restaurant patio thing where the grass is now.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
So the airport authority just spent 50 years buying out residential neighborhoods around the airport, partly for noise reasons. Now they're going to try to sell the idea of living underneath the nightly parade of FedEx planes on High School Road?

Also in the story, this is a $2 million "feasibility study", with an undetermined "fee" to the UNC professor who devised the "Aerotropolis" concept.
I still don't fully get this "Aerotropolis" concept. It seems like it's just a fancy new name for something that has been going on for a long time.

I wouldn't read too much into the residential aspect of it. The Airport Authority just finished executing the next master plan. They do have an old terminal to figure out what to do with. It seems proper to me that they do a new master planning study, and with a big area to cover the amounts don't seem out of line. I'd rate the airport as one of the better run service agencies locally, one that has had a long term and forward looking mindset. Nothing particularly raises any red flags here.

Aaron, have you hung out your "transportation consultant" shingle yet? Apparently there's big money in that field. :nuts:
Hah! My only relationship with the airport authority is having them quote me at events they don't invite me to.

I can say this, after I finish up two slow burn volunteer projects I initiated some time ago, anything I might do in the future related to Indianapolis has to be on a purely commercial basis. I can promise you that.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Guys, I want to highlight a blog you all need to check out and add to your reader. It's called "Urban Out" by Greg Meckstroth:

http://urban-out.com/

As the name implies, it's written by a 20-something gay guy pretty recently out of college who works and lives in downtown Indy. Like most Indy blogs, he's not solely focused on Indy but writes about other cities too. It's also not just a gay blog either but covers lots of urbanism issues. He's an Ohio State grad and Cincy partisan, but don't hold that against him! I think he's pretty fair on most issues. Check it out.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
They've started construction on the small apartment building going in on the SE corner of St. Clair and Capitol. Foundation has been poured and the building materials (cement blocks) are stacked up on site. Not a big deal project --- but its another nice little infill housing spot that is much better than the parking lot that currently exists there. Can't wait until they take down the ugly white construction wall along the canal by the Cosmopolitan. It'll look so good when it will all be open to the canal -- but with that white wall there -- you just can't see how nice it will look along there.

Oh yeah -- one other thing. Last Friday they had all of the barricades down that had been blocking access to most of the stairways and bridges along the canal down by the Ohio Street basin (near the State Office Complex). The deteriorating cement has been replaced with wonderful black/gray/white peppered granite steps and granite pedestals supporting some of the railing on the bridges. Looks fantastic. Now it looks like it will hold up for another century. Very nice!!

·
Registered
965 Posts
Hey, gonna break things up abit. Need to know the best restaurant to take a first date in Broad Ripple, Thanks.

·
DE MINIMIS NON CURAT LEX
723 Posts
Hey, gonna break things up abit. Need to know the best restaurant to take a first date in Broad Ripple, Thanks.
H2O Sushi. Executive Chef John Adams is great! The service staff is also impressive!

Recess. Just opened, incredible, Executive Chef Greg Hardesty, Sioux Chef Abbi Merriss... a great team! Quite expensive, but worth every penny!

·
Cory
3,403 Posts
Guys, I want to highlight a blog you all need to check out and add to your reader. It's called "Urban Out" by Greg Meckstroth:

http://urban-out.com/

As the name implies, it's written by a 20-something gay guy pretty recently out of college who works and lives in downtown Indy. Like most Indy blogs, he's not solely focused on Indy but writes about other cities too. It's also not just a gay blog either but covers lots of urbanism issues. He's an Ohio State grad and Cincy partisan, but don't hold that against him! I think he's pretty fair on most issues. Check it out.
I know Greg. Very nice guy that totally gets it.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I read through his page this weekend and put a link to it on mine. Very good reading. I love the carless story. Went perfect with a story I wrote recently.

1601 - 1620 of 14568 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.