Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 805 Posts

·
oemoemenemoe
1,496 Posts
I think there already is a thread on this, but I'm not a huge fan of the classic look on stadiums, especially not football ones. For ballparks its okay, but for football it looks kinda outta place. But I guess its good for a change.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rantanamo said:
Unique and fully into the character of its city.
I agree, I actually thought anything like this would never work for an "American" football stadium, but it grew on me, Its a different choice from all the other modern looking football stadiums being built.

·
Under Construction
541 Posts
dubdub said:
It will have a retractable roof and retractable walls behind the endzones...
Why the hell would you want retractable walls on a football stadium??? It makes the stadium look like a giant aircraft hanger but for some reason it keeps growing on me everytime I see it :dunno:

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
For those that don't get it, its an old fieldhouse design like old basketball arena. Allen Fieldhouse or even the new Conseco Fieldhouse down the street are good examples. Basketball is Indiana's sport and this is basically the ultimate basketball arena. The Colts just happen to play there, LOL.

And you want retractable endzone walls to let some air in. If you've ever been in a retractable roof or partial roof yet enclosed like Texas Stadium, the air is stagnant and tends to magnify whatever condition is present. Hot days are hotter, cold are like a fridge. Some wind and light are good things.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
NavyBlue said:
Why the hell would you want retractable walls on a football stadium??? It makes the stadium look like a giant aircraft hanger but for some reason it keeps growing on me everytime I see it :dunno:
We need it closed to host basketball games (Final Four), Black Expo, and other events. Open air will be for football games.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Nice, I am not sure that 3.000 additional seats compared to the old arena will be enough. It does remind of an old barn but that´s Indiana style. But why isn´t it parallel to the street grid?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
My first guess without knowing anything about Indy is that that's North/South, which outdoor football stadiums are supposed to face.

·
Registered
67 Posts
rantanamo said:
My first guess without knowing anything about Indy is that that's North/South, which outdoor football stadiums are supposed to face.
that was my guess too. I think there are only two football stadiums college or pro, that face East-West. One of which happens to be in Stillwater, Oklahoma on the Oklahoma State Univ. campus ... which is understandable coming from genius oklahoma designers and engineers.

·
Cory
3,403 Posts
rantanamo said:

First of all, the Current RCA dome only seat 56,000, so 63,000 is a 7,000 gain on seat with the ability to go to 70,000, that's a gain of 14,000.

Secondly, the reason why the stadium is "cocked" is because you will be able to see the "skyline" from almost every seat. Indy's baseball stadium is positioned to view the skyline and is one of it's most noticable attractions.

The design is also similar to the the Conseco Fieldhouse (which is always voted one of the best arenas in the US), which is very retro. This stadium will also have many, many more club and sweet seats, which is where these venues make their money. Also, the current location of the Dome is preventing the Indiana Convention Center from expandnig, so once this is built, the Dome comes down to make way for an expanded convention center.
Also, Indy has been planning a light rail system and this new facility will be attached to the proposed transit hub that will be built downtown.

Indy is experiencing a mini- construction boom right now. This project, the convention center expansion and four high-rises over 90m are under constrcution with countless mid rises going up all over downtown. It is really exciting

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Baseball stadiums are preferred to not face a cardinal direction. It keeps the sun from being directly behind any base. Most urban stadiums simply don't follow this though and rather follow the block.

·
stadiumfuture
376 Posts
What an booming stadium country is USA. New stadium Yankee, new stadium Mets, new stadium Jets new stadium Giants, new stadium Colts new stadium San Diego and there an clot of more projects.

·
Registered
579 Posts
^ As far as pro sports go, a newer facility brings in more revenue, so when one or two teams start building new places, others do to keep up in the revenue department! :cheers:

It's great to see the RCA Dome meet its demise, it was built more as a convention center if you ask me, very cheap and generic looking. And it had bleachers in the upper deck!!! Come on, that's pathetic.

:) :) :)

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Love it, looks like a World War 2 aircraft hangar. An instant classic for mine. Plus you can open it up when it looks like being a nice enough day.

And they propose to play basketball in the joint? You are going to need the hubble telescope to be able to see any action from the top deck, back row!

1 - 20 of 805 Posts