·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Council panel OKs spending $55M for some justice center construction costs
Indianapolis Business Journal
January 17, 2018
By Hayleigh Colombo

An Indianapolis City-County Council committee on Tuesday night unanimously approved spending $55 million to pay for a fraction of the construction funding to build the city’s proposed criminal justice center.
Full article: https://www.ibj.com/articles/67090-council-panel-oks-spending-55m-for-some-criminal-justice-center-construction-costs

Council briefing (includes additional renderings): https://www.ibj.com/ext/resources/IBJ-Daily/00-2018/01-January/Jan_16_Jail_presentation.pdf?utm_source=eight-at-8&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=2018-01-17

Could we go ahead and split the justice center off into a separate thread due to the size of this project?

·
Registered
680 Posts
http://fox59.com/2018/01/17/design-for-new-court-jail-center-unveiled/

I am hoping this design is very preliminary. Looks straight out of the 1960s-1970s. Looks like it is borrowing a lot from the international style of the CCB and Carson government center and maybe some of the old st Francis Beech Grove mixed in
I'm sure the actual building designs are preliminary, but as I noted on the eastside thread, I'm less than enthralled with the site plan, which seems to contemplate a justice center to be accessed only by car and doesn't at all engage with the street grid. It bears more resemblance to the Lake County Justice Center on the northern edge of Crown Point (which opened in the mid 1970s) than something urban-appropriate.

1,642 Posts
Then again this is a government project and government projects are notorious for their Brutalism Architecture.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I for one really like it. It's not Brutalism since it's not made of concrete but it is modern because of all the glass. It's also 11 stories high (!) and will be a landmark in the area.

One of the articles also mentioned the mental health/substance abuse facility will be north of the creek and the courthouse to make it more peaceful and therapeutic.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I'm sure the actual building designs are preliminary, but as I noted on the eastside thread, I'm less than enthralled with the site plan, which seems to contemplate a justice center to be accessed only by car and doesn't at all engage with the street grid. It bears more resemblance to the Lake County Justice Center on the northern edge of Crown Point (which opened in the mid 1970s) than something urban-appropriate.
The site is actually the point along Southeastern where the street grid disappears, interrupted by the shopping center, diagonal streets, creek, Belt, and CSX lines. Not to mention one of the worst clusterf*** pedestrian areas (the Southeastern/English/Rural "No Walk" zone).

The only places in Twin Aire that would engage the grid are the old drive-in site and shopping center to the west.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
It's also 11 stories high (!) and will be a landmark in the area.
Lol. There used to be a tall landmark on the site, a really blue natural gas storage tank that was where Citizens stored the natural gas released as part of the process of "coking" coal.

I think it was dismantled around the time I moved on up to the East side (~12 years ago).

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Seems like there will be no interaction with the surrounding neighborhood and streets. People going to the complex will drive in, park, go into the buildings, walk back to the parking lot and drive away.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Seems like there will be no interaction with the surrounding neighborhood and streets. People going to the complex will drive in, park, go into the buildings, walk back to the parking lot and drive away.
That appears to be the thinking of a sheriff who wants a secure facility. I'm not sure if I remember seeing a site plan, just perspective renderings that don't accurately depict the surroundings (like the one above).

That view is probably looking southwestward, from 500' above the Long John Silver site on Southeastern, but it's hard to be sure if the meander at left is actually the creek, a road, or a trail. Those could be PR Parkway and the trail, with the creek at right...which would make this a northeastward view from a point above Prospect Falls.

·
Registered
86 Posts
How interactive with the community are "Justice Centers" in other cities? I have only ever seen them at the edges of town where people try to forget they exist all together.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I just came across this sketch of the Community Justice Campus:

CommunityJusticeRendering by CorrND, on Flickr
Here is the site plan, with North at the top...so a far different view than the rendering.

So the rendering is a view from the west-southwest, and the line to the right is actually the Belt Line RR. I don't think I realized how close to PR Parkway the creek actually is (because it's never been visible from the street or trail); it's in "front" of the Center, between it and the Twin Aire SC.

So the biggest footprint on the site is actually where they're building, and they are capping the worst brownfield (where the coke ovens used to be) with a parking lot instead of digging up, disposing of, and replacing thousands and thousands of truckloads of contaminated soil.

The only other building pad that big would have been the old drive in site, but then the parking would have been across PR Parkway, and the brownfield would require a different solution.

·
Registered
680 Posts
That appears to be the thinking of a sheriff who wants a secure facility. I'm not sure if I remember seeing a site plan, just perspective renderings that don't accurately depict the surroundings (like the one above).

That view is probably looking southwestward, from 500' above the Long John Silver site on Southeastern, but it's hard to be sure if the meander at left is actually the creek, a road, or a trail. Those could be PR Parkway and the trail, with the creek at right...which would make this a northeastward view from a point above Prospect Falls.
I think you're 180 degrees off. If you look at the overhead site plan a couple of posts above, you will see the circle drive that is in the foreground in the bird's eye version. That's Pleasant Run Creek and a new road to the left of the building. As the site plan makes clear, these buildings are significantly set back from the intersection of PRP and Southeastern. The part of the site that is actually next to the intersection and northwest of the creek isn't part of the justice center at all. It seems to me that the way to actually do this (and I realize some may not like the "moat" imagery) is to put the office buildings/courthouse closer to the intersection and to put the jail on the side of the creek where the whole project is now. Again, this is straight up 1960's era cars-and-only-cars development. It's pointless. They won't be able to develop anything nice in the strip malls surrounding the area because they will need the parking from everyone driving to lunch.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Great Places 2020 came out with their Twin Aire plan at their website. It shows the CJC as a secure facility with a large parking lot. Urban development will come to the former drive in, the redeveloped shopping center sites, and around Prospect Street south of the CJC. Southeastern Ave. and other streets in the area will also get an urban makeover. I'm hoping they plan on building on the CJC parking lot with other municipal buildings in the future too.

They also plan on adding a few roundabouts to the area which I'm iffy about. Cars tend to zip by on suburban oriented roundabouts hurting pedestrian access. I hope they put up some traffic calming measures and make it an urban traffic circle more like Monument Circle. The renderings look like they're going in a more urban direction there.

My favorite part, other than the 11 story modern courthouse, is they plan on moving or adding the Animal Care and Control facility to the former drive in area and will be a more prominent place for people to adopt pets.

·
Registered
281 Posts
For those who can not see the layout..... think of the tall building as an arrow pointing directly toward downtown. That will give you the correct location

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I think you're 180 degrees off.
45 degrees off. The perspective view is not from WSW, but from WNW, approximately over the former school just south of the English/Rural/Southeastern cluster.

Pedantry aside, I agree with you that the office and court part of the complex should have been up near the corner across from McDonald's, but then the prisoner transport becomes problematic if you have to cross the creek with it.

And the parking lot is the only good solution for the brownfield that won't cost tens of millions.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Great Places 2020 came out with their Twin Aire plan at their website. It shows the CJC as a secure facility with a large parking lot. Urban development will come to the former drive in, the redeveloped shopping center sites, and around Prospect Street south of the CJC. Southeastern Ave. and other streets in the area will also get an urban makeover. I'm hoping they plan on building on the CJC parking lot with other municipal buildings in the future too.

They also plan on adding a few roundabouts to the area which I'm iffy about. Cars tend to zip by on suburban oriented roundabouts hurting pedestrian access. I hope they put up some traffic calming measures and make it an urban traffic circle more like Monument Circle. The renderings look like they're going in a more urban direction there.

My favorite part, other than the 11 story modern courthouse, is they plan on moving or adding the Animal Care and Control facility to the former drive in area and will be a more prominent place for people to adopt pets.
Animal Care and Control will not be on the old drive in site, it will be south across what is now Pleasant Run Parkway on the site of the former gas storage tank.

The rendering in their report incorrectly locates "Prospect Falls", which is actually a manmade feature underneath a railroad trestle that crosses both Prospect and the creek, where PR Parkway and the PR Trail end at Prospect St.

It also looks as if there is an intention to reroute PR Parkway, North Drive between Prospect and Southeastern onto the south/east bank of the creek, and then north from Southeastern to English at LaSalle, where there is currently a traffic signal.

From there I would certainly hope that English would get tamed down to three lanes (from four) and the trail could become more than a sidewalk under the Belt Line back over to where the Parkway and greenspace starts again a block east on English. Combined with a fix at Brown's Corner (Emerson and Washington), the PR Trail would be a gem.

Just connecting the PR Trail legitimately (without sidewalk-trail segments) all the way from Garfield to Christian to Ellenberger Parks would be a huge aid to neighborhood revitalization between the IRV and Fountain Square. Hooking in the Pennsy Trail to PR behind Howe HS would also be great for connectivity.

I guess I moved out too soon.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts