Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is also a sky-dome in Spain but I don't know where ! amazing project in belgium ! There was one in Tokyo but he closed, I wonder why!

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Germany has 5 skiing halls:
- Neuss (the oldest one)
- Bottrop (both in the Rhur area) (with its 640m length the longest slope in the world)
- Bispringen (between Hamburg and Hannover) (up to 100m wide slope without pillars)
- Senftenberg (north of Dresden)
- Wittenburg (west of Hamburg) (the largest one, has a halfpipe suitable for FIS competitions)

·
Super Moderator
22,309 Posts
We have a few in the UK, two that I know of are the Snowdome in Tamworth near Birmingham and Chill Factor E in Manchester.

Here are a couple of pictures of the Manchester slope.

To be honest though, I'd rather just save up my money and go to the Alps once a year.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
ive never been to an indoor snow dome, but i just cant see it being that fun. Runs are going to be the same thing over and over, short and with no trees and nature around that just makes skiing in mountains that much better. For anyone thats been, what are the prices? am i wrong on my assumptions?

·
Super Moderator
22,309 Posts
ive never been to an indoor snow dome, but i just cant see it being that fun. Runs are going to be the same thing over and over, short and with no trees and nature around that just makes skiing in mountains that much better.
My thoughts exactly. If you've never been before and want to learn the basics before going to a mountain then I can see it being useful for but that's about it.

·
My Mind Has Left My Body
7,266 Posts
Belgium will get the biggest indoor ski dome of the world, under construction at this very moment in the city of Lessines (Wallonia). It will cover some real rocks and it looks realy impressive!

There will be 4 different tracks:
150m
800m
500m
250m

My idea is stolen!! I have often thought that many of the expired quarries around the Chicago area would be great to make into a ski area. In Chicago you could make it seasonal or put a shed like device over if wanted to make year round.

Anymore detailed info on the construction of this project?

·
Registered
327 Posts
If wikipedia is correct there are 7 in the Netherlands.

Landgraaf being the biggest with 3 major slopes:
100m
500m (17%)
520m (15%)

·
taboe
2,243 Posts
My idea is stolen!! I have often thought that many of the expired quarries around the Chicago area would be great to make into a ski area. In Chicago you could make it seasonal or put a shed like device over if wanted to make year round.

Anymore detailed info on the construction of this project?
Snow Games
100 000 m2 of skiing ground, 5 000 000 m3 of snow
two 500 m tracks
one 800 m track with side tracks for jumps etc
one 250 m track
one 150 m beginner track

115 hotel rooms, 750 parking spaces
Aimed to reach over a million visitors a year
Creates 300 jobs
cost: 88 million euro (125 million dollar)
Will be the biggest in the world

You can find (rather crappy) pictures on http://www.snowgames.be/nl/, click on 'galerij'...

Construction started in sep 2008

1 - 18 of 18 Posts