Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
^^ Are you kidding? Aside from the many many many apartment blocks, the redevelopment of the shopping centre, the construction of the new Indooroopilly Junction Shopping Centre, new Maccas, redevelopment of the Eldorado Cinemas, and many more...

·
Registered
92 Posts
when i say change i mean in terms of appearance, it is still the big shopping mall where all activities happens on the inside, it saps all the liveliness out of the surrounding areas, none of the activity seems to pour out to the street. like places in sydney or melbourne

·
Premium Member
9,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know what you mean, I lived in London for a few years where they don't really have the same scale of big shopping centres such as Indooroopilly, etc, but instead people shop on what is called the "high street", basically every major suburb has a big built up area of shops, still on the street. These areas get very busy, especially at peak shopping times such as Saturday morning. They also have "markets", which I was at first loath to go near, thinking they looked dodgy, but are actually where a lot of London people do their shopping. That said, in London, you would probably walk around the corner home with your shopping (or catch the numerous PT), here is much more spread out and most people need to drive. Parking is a major bitch in London, and traffic can be a nightmare.

As much as the shopping centre is like a big alien mother ship in the middle of a nice suburb, I think it is starting to generate an increase in the busyness and density of Indooroopilly, especially between it and the train station. It's funny comparing the obviously 70's mid-rises to the more recent and much nicer versions.

I really like the area, sort of wish I lived around there now, as much as I like East Brisbane too. I'm thinking of heading to that pub near the train station soon, for a few Friday ales around 5-7pm, watch the trains from the balcony and then catch one into town for more drinkees.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts