SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still surprised and confused as to why Indy does not have more signature towers such as I see in a lot of smaller cities,Is it just planning,economics? or is Indy just now starting to wake up from its NAP.. Indy is vibrant and it has enough metro population to support alot more activity,such as something that makes it unique from other cities like a space needle or something,and dont anyone suggest a giant corncob,I think maybe in the line of racing or something or maybe a giant skyscraper that resembles a checkered flag,would love to see a 1000 footer come to downtown,probably wont happen for awhile but would be nice,they need to get some city planners from Calcary to come down and show them how to build a city,I have read where Nashville is getting a 1000 footer and hell even louisville,although I dont like the design but its still gonna be a nice addition to their dt.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Indy doesn't need a thousand footer. We already have an 800+ footer, Indy needs more bulk. And we're getting it too. 3 new towers in the 400 to 600 foot range due to break ground in the next few months to a year, with perhaps as many as 3 to 4 more in the next five years or so.

Really what Indy needs is a real public transportation system with rail, and more urbanity and residential density downtown. Downtown currently is a very nice place to visit, work, get drunk, shop, and see a game, but it won't be sustainable until it's a true 24 hour residential downtown with ample streetlife. This too is in the works in the next few years with hundreds of families moving into the mile square annually. These things are far more important than any signature tower could ever be. Not that a signature tower wouldn't be nice mind you...

An 800 foot "corncob" called the "Indiana Tower" was designed by Cesar Pelli 20 years ago, and was supposed to be the centerpiece of White River State Park. Many of us are relieved that it never happened. I'm ambivalent about it personally. This is it:

·
Registered
946 Posts
Really what Indy needs is a real public transportation system with rail, and more urbanity and residential density downtown. Downtown currently is a very nice place to visit, work, get drunk, shop, and see a game, but it won't be sustainable until it's a true 24 hour residential downtown with ample streetlife.

Amen to that.

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
moochie said:
Indy doesn't need a thousand footer. We already have an 800+ footer, Indy needs more bulk. And we're getting it too. 3 new towers in the 400 to 600 foot range due to break ground in the next few months to a year, with perhaps as many as 3 to 4 more in the next five years or so.

Really what Indy needs is a real public transportation system with rail, and more urbanity and residential density downtown. Downtown currently is a very nice place to visit, work, get drunk, shop, and see a game, but it won't be sustainable until it's a true 24 hour residential downtown with ample streetlife. This too is in the works in the next few years with hundreds of families moving into the mile square annually. These things are far more important than any signature tower could ever be. Not that a signature tower wouldn't be nice mind you...

An 800 foot "corncob" called the "Indiana Tower" was designed by Cesar Pelli 20 years ago, and was supposed to be the centerpiece of White River State Park. Many of us are relieved that it never happened. I'm ambivalent about it personally. This is it:

Are the planned towers all residential or are there any offices planned? Do you have any renderings?

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
LLoydGeorge said:
Are the planned towers all residential or are there any offices planned? Do you have any renderings?
Sorry man, but I really don't feel like typing all that here. Just check out the Indy Development thread(s).

·
Banned
293 Posts
Pilliod Njaim said:
Really what Indy needs is a real public transportation system with rail, and more urbanity and residential density downtown. Downtown currently is a very nice place to visit, work, get drunk, shop, and see a game, but it won't be sustainable until it's a true 24 hour residential downtown with ample streetlife.

Amen to that.

Blame the Feds! Any metro over one million should have rail...thats another story. I think Indy has an awesome downtown. I dont really think it needs towers to be dense. Id really like to see all these midsized cities fill in the "urban prairie" lands and atrocious surface lots that surround every midsized dontown before they start building up. But, the fact is, trophy buildings sell (and look good :))

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
scraperboy said:
Blame the Feds! Any metro over one million should have rail...thats another story. I think Indy has an awesome downtown. I dont really think it needs towers to be dense. Id really like to see all these midsized cities fill in the "urban prairie" lands and atrocious surface lots that surround every midsized dontown before they start building up. But, the fact is, trophy buildings sell (and look good :))
Plans for commuter rail are due to be announced in a couple weeks, and they will be federally funded... eventually anyway.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
scraperboy said:
Blame the Feds!
We could probably also look at the Daniels administration---they are getting close to $4 billion schmackers from leasing the Toll Road (Major Moves' Motto: Republicans don't have the ability to manage state infrastructure themselves), but how much of that Major Money is going toward mass transit in Indy? ZERO. From what Ive seen, its ALL going to roads. Am I wrong? Please tell me Im wrong. I would love to be wrong.

·
1981 Civic
2,911 Posts
Nope, your right. Thanks to My Man Bitch Daniels.

Indy does have a lot of new development going on downtown and we are outpacing most of our Midwest counterparts. Check back in five years or so, and I guarantee Downtown will be a very different place.

·
Cory
3,403 Posts
you are not wrong. I mentioned this in one of my transit meetings with the mayor and he stated that the Governor/State has no plans for transit with MM.

Indy is doing very well in the "densifying" category. So many residential projects that are "filling-in" the spaces. The east-side of downtown is undergoing dramatic infill and when One Market Square (350') goes up over there, it will look good!

I do agree though and it is only a matter of time before a new "signature" tower goes up. I give it 5 years!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
cwilson758 said:
you are not wrong. I mentioned this in one of my transit meetings with the mayor and he stated that the Governor/State has no plans for transit with MM.

Indy is doing very well in the "densifying" category. So many residential projects that are "filling-in" the spaces. The east-side of downtown is undergoing dramatic infill and when One Market Square (350') goes up over there, it will look good!

I do agree though and it is only a matter of time before a new "signature" tower goes up. I give it 5 years!
I guess part of me wants to believe that downtown Indy will need better transit before it can grow much more, but looking at cities like Houston, Dallas, Seattle, Denver and LA, there is probably a lot of growth left in downtown Indy before the city will invest in any kind of mass transit. Despite the news that an announcement is imminent, I really think there will be some hostility to it from the less progressive sectors of the community. You can decide for yourselves who is represented in those sectors... :)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Tall for the sake of tall smacks of ignorance. People don't visit a city and with their hand point across a city's skyline in the distance, and say by gum I needs to visit there look all dem tall buildings.

This ridiculous arguement plagues the threads here no matter which city the subject falls under. Tall for the sake of tall, kills cities. Dallas (tall, tall, tall) is a very DOA city once the work day crowd has emptied out of that downtown.

·
Registered
946 Posts
^I agree. Having a nice skyline looks good and all, but the street-level look/feel of a city is much more important to the people who live there every day.

Skylines look nice on postcards, but one only needs to look at the great cities of Europe to realize skyscrapers are not what makes cities urban.

Density makes cities urban, and American cities have a love affair with surface lots, which kills density. Every big city I've been to in the Midwest wastes a lot of space on parking- Detroit, Toledo, Cleveland, Columbus, etc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Ok historybuffer, you just answered my question WHY I think Indy needs an identifiable feature,yes I never said that it needs alot of tall buildings to be a nice place but that town gets slammed alot for having the so called white trash backwoods talkin people that I and anyone who has been there should realize isnt the case,Indy doesnt have the natural wonders and hilly terrain some other cities do that make them charming in different ways,I mean if you put San Francisco on a flat prarie with no ocean it will be percieved and identified by manmade buiidings,structures,neighborhoods,and since Indy has no ocean ,hills,riverfront,bridges, it would be nice to get away from all that plain will a signature type structure and/or building,that canal is a good start and that is manmade,it doesnt have any themeparks nearby,or anything to that nature either.What Indy doesnt have naturally I believe it can go along way towards its national image on something unnatural (manmade) via St. Louis arch,skyneedle,transamerica bldg.,build it and they will come.You look at Indys skyline today and it could pass for Des moines,Omahas or any other flat city,if Indy wants to break those comparisons and set itself apart it needs to have something unique.So when people are up there on that hill and say hay thar look at that thar weird lookin tower heard alot a strories been told bout that thing,I wonders whats that is,lets goes checks it outs.

·
Registered
978 Posts
My friend goose, NO 2000' tall building is going to distinguish Indianapolis from other cities! Once people in Indinapolis begin to realize that Indianapolis is a great/mediocre city (or dt, the way I look at it), then things will begin to change, not a huge tower provoking the chage. As others have stated, Indinapolis needs bulk, not "build-up".

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Goose said:
Ok historybuffer, you just answered my question WHY I think Indy needs an identifiable feature,yes I never said that it needs alot of tall buildings to be a nice place but that town gets slammed alot for having the so called white trash backwoods talkin people that I and anyone who has been there should realize isnt the case,Indy doesnt have the natural wonders and hilly terrain some other cities do that make them charming in different ways,I mean if you put San Francisco on a flat prarie with no ocean it will be percieved and identified by manmade buiidings,structures,neighborhoods,and since Indy has no ocean ,hills,riverfront,bridges, it would be nice to get away from all that plain will a signature type structure and/or building,that canal is a good start and that is manmade,it doesnt have any themeparks nearby,or anything to that nature either.What Indy doesnt have naturally I believe it can go along way towards its national image on something unnatural (manmade) via St. Louis arch,skyneedle,transamerica bldg.,build it and they will come.You look at Indys skyline today and it could pass for Des moines,Omahas or any other flat city,if Indy wants to break those comparisons and set itself apart it needs to have something unique.So when people are up there on that hill and say hay thar look at that thar weird lookin tower heard alot a strories been told bout that thing,I wonders whats that is,lets goes checks it outs.
Goose, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but no one is going to look a thousand foot tower in Indy and think "Golly! Indy is a cool place!". In fact, they may look at a thousand foot observation tower in Indy and think "That's hilarious that they thought they'd become cosmopolitan by building a monster phallic symbol smack dab in the middle of downtown!"

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
moochie said:
Goose, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but no one is going to look a thousand foot tower in Indy and think "Golly! Indy is a cool place!". In fact, they may look at a thousand foot observation tower in Indy and think "That's hilarious that they thought they'd become cosmopolitan by building a monster phallic symbol smack dab in the middle of downtown!"
Like the Washington Monument? I propose we build an 1000 foot black granite gherkin at the northern edge of the war memorial plaza. At sunset, a fountain at the top would activate, and shower downtown with soothing spray.

Maybe that tower would bring some renown to Indy?

·
Registered
210 Posts
cjfjapan said:
Like the Washington Monument? I propose we build an 1000 foot black granite gherkin at the northern edge of the war memorial plaza. At sunset, a fountain at the top would activate, and shower downtown with soothing spray.

Maybe that tower would bring some renown to Indy?
... you need elite models to make that perfect...ahhhhhhhhhhh....

1 - 20 of 50 Posts