Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Cory
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend Indianapolis will host the 8th annual US Grand Prix at the world's most famous racetrack, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. F-1 is a totally different racing experience. For one, they race in the opposite direction than the IRL or NASCAR. Secondly, the F-1 race doesn't utilize all of the 2.5-mile oval, rather a modified "road course" that is in the center of the track. Finally, the fans are not your average cooler-carrying, fanny-pack wearin', Ernhardt for President race fans. F-1 is the high-end of racing and the fans spend a lot to travel the circuit. F-1 is truely an international sport and there will be fans from all over the planet visiting the Circle City. It is because of this race that Indianapolis was able to get the 3rd Conrad Hotel in North America.

It is very cool because downtown turns into an Epcot of sorts due to all the different languages being spoken on the sidewalk.

·
Super Moderator
11,307 Posts
I've been dying to come for years, but I think I'll leave it for next summer and do a double whammy Canada+US together
Let's hope Fox gives it better coverage than in Canada, otherwise they should let Speed do it properly

·
Registered
246 Posts
This weekend Indianapolis will host the 8th annual US Grand Prix at the world's most famous racetrack, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. F-1 is a totally different racing experience. For one, they race in the opposite direction than the IRL or NASCAR. Secondly, the F-1 race doesn't utilize all of the 2.5-mile oval, rather a modified "road course" that is in the center of the track. Finally, the fans are not your average cooler-carrying, fanny-pack wearin', Ernhardt for President race fans. F-1 is the high-end of racing and the fans spend a lot to travel the circuit. F-1 is truely an international sport and there will be fans from all over the planet visiting the Circle City. It is because of this race that Indianapolis was able to get the 3rd Conrad Hotel in North America.

It is very cool because downtown turns into an Epcot of sorts due to all the different languages being spoken on the sidewalk.

Do you think Indy does a good job of "rolling out the red carpet" for the F-1 fans?

·
Registered
978 Posts
I work at a bank. We loosen our requirements for cashing travelers checks when F1 is in town. Cory is correct. It's neat seeing the diverse crowd desend on Indy.

·
Registered
437 Posts
SOOO?

I heard last night that Indianapolis gets 100,000 fans for this AND $100,000,000! I was just curious if anybody knows where all this cash flow goes? :eek:hno:

·
Cory
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you think Indy does a good job of "rolling out the red carpet" for the F-1 fans?

I think that Indy does a great job making every group that comes here feel welcome.

Concerning this specifically, I know that the City goes out of its way to make downtown the center of the action, which is different than the 500 or Brickyard.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm originally from Indy and attended every F1 race there until the tire debacle a couple of years back. I go to the city regardless to visit family, but I will never put another dime into Ecclestone's pocket after what he did two years ago. Simply unacceptable.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I luv this event, downtown has so many languages at once going through the air! This is what makes Indy a world city.(atleast during these events)

·
Registered
121 Posts
it will be sad if bernie is a jerk and makes it to hard for us to get it again he is just as bad as some sports owners if not worse

·
Registered
121 Posts
bernie told a british paper the US isnt inportant for F1 so im getting kinda worried i hope the USGP gets over a 100,000 that race does so much for the city

·
Registered
551 Posts
bernie told a british paper the US isnt inportant for F1 so im getting kinda worried i hope the USGP gets over a 100,000 that race does so much for the city
Then again, he has said Indianapolis is the most logical place for an F-1 race in the US. So hopefully that means we wouldn't necessarily lose it to another city (i.e. Las Vegas). As much as I want it to stay, I'd rather see it leave all together than move to another city. Call it envy.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
F1 is ok, but to me is a bit like baseball or cricket or soccer. Superficially dull, it takes some effort for someone new to the sport to figure out the nuances and areas of interest, the subtleties of the sport that are why the connoisseurs like it, etc.

Indy/United States and F1 don't need each other. There is certainly benefit from them getting tighter, but no "burning platform" as we consulting types like to say. They've got to want to work together.

·
Nonhyphenated-American
3,371 Posts
So far it looks like a FANTASTIC race, from what I'm seeing on the TV (about 20 after noon here in Wisconsin), although they are saying that the temp is in the high 30s with high humidity (but then again, it is the Midwestern USA :lol: ). Looks like a great fan turnout, too.

:banana:

If I was off this weekend, I'd likely be there, too.

Mike

·
Nonhyphenated-American
3,371 Posts
its hard to guess how many there are there but i would say around 100,000 i really hope it comes back
The Indianapolis Motor Speedway is *SO HUGE* that parts of the stands can look sparse and still have 150-200K. I'm thinking about 150-160K because of a very good infield crowd. Some parts of the infield viewing area looked very full.

Although track officials never say, it is believed by many that the speedway seats well over 400K for the Indy 500 and NASCAR (both of which use the full oval course).

-And the race - TWO IN A ROW and a North America sweep for rookie Lewis Hamilton! WHATTA PHENOM and a class act!

:dance:

Mike

1 - 20 of 27 Posts