Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I'm opening this thread so that you would be able to post your valuable inputs that would help home-owners and home-builders in Trivandrum regarding the following aspects:

1. Names and locations of good Interior Designers
  2. Names and locations of shops to buy good home-building merchandise
  3. Name and locations of Art shops (paintings, wall hangings, etc.)
  4. Names and locations of good sanitary ware shops
  5. Contact info for floor tiles, paints, granite-and-stone
  6. Hot bargains
  7. Odd and interesting shops ("I felt an IKEA-like experience when I entered this store", etc.)

Please also share your experiences with home-building so that others may know what to do, and, most importantly, what not to do.
Thanks. :)

·
nyker
189 Posts
I had requested a link for this a few months ago specifically for home appliances and furnishing

You could limit shops to just Trivandrum, since this is a Trivandrum-centric piece. :)
I had requested a link for this a few months ago specifically for home appliances and furnishing , exclusively for Trivandrum. Since almost 30 high-rise buildings are coming up near the Bypass , I am sure that all new home-buyers will be interested in knowing the best home appliances and furnishings deals in town in the coming days.

My apartment ( Cyberpalms ) will be ready by 2010. I plan on furnishing the apartment as soon as I get it. I being a NRI has no means of knowing what is available in the market other than depending on friends/relatives opinions. This must be the case with every NRI who plans to furnish an apartment.

So guys please do post the links of the dealers and brands that they sell. We can compile the infomation for comparisons ( value for your money ).

I am sure the home appliances/furnishing dealers in Trivandrums are planning on all-in-one package deals for new apartment owners. :cheers:

H

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Godrej Interio Kitchens

Godrej Interio (http://www.godrej.com/godrejnew/God...sumerProducts/Furniture/Products/InterioHome/) has an offer on L-shaped kitchens like this.

http://www.godrej.com/GodrejNew/gif/figh/kitchen/kitchenlayouts/LShapedValentinaRed.jpg

This 7 ft. by 5 ft. kitchen, with an island unit, now costs just Rs. 55,000. The labor, I'm sure is charged extra, and I presume the accessories and kitchen hob come at an additional price as well. Contact Tinchu K George [[email protected]] @ ++91(974) 520-4275 for more info.

:banana:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Home Interior Solution....

Home Interior Solution....

http://www.geosamindia.com/

It is a family run business established in 1985 and offer custom curtains, Upholstery, Interior decoration and window blinds across Kerala. They offer a highly experienced personal service and we also undertake curtain and blind track fitting. Expert advice and craftsmanship is given every step of the way. Those interested in their curtain making service can choose from our extensive range of fabrics, nets voiles. Everything is custom made, and made to measure to fit your home and your specifications.

They have done the work for

The Muthoot Plaza,
Poovar Island Resort,
The Leela Kovalam
Taj Green Cove Kovalam
The New Taj @ Vazhuthacaud

And Countless number of offices and Residences......

·
nyker
189 Posts
Keep it coming Guys !!! Good work !!

By the end of the year, we would have an excellent database. Any other dealers offering packages specifically for apartments. Seperate or All-in-packages like Airconditioning, kitchen, bedroom. It would be good to know the current price.

I am sure by 2010 when I furnish my apartment, I would be able to do it from here ( Manhattan) by just making a few phone calls. :cheers:

Regards
H

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hkaran07,
We would surely be able to compile a good database of stuff available around here, but I don't think phone calls from the Big Apple would be the most efficient way of getting things done.

I've found out the hard way that you have to walk around and make eye contact with shop owners, and then begin the bargaining tirade so that you get the lowest possible rates. What's more, one has to go to all the available shops, bargain, and compile a list of prices, and in the end, decide on which shop(s) to go ahead.

Regards,
Suresh.

·
nyker
189 Posts
Wow !! This is news to me.

hkaran07,
We would surely be able to compile a good database of stuff available around here, but I don't think phone calls from the Big Apple would be the most efficient way of getting things done.

I've found out the hard way that you have to walk around and make eye contact with shop owners, and then begin the bargaining tirade so that you get the lowest possible rates. What's more, one has to go to all the available shops, bargain, and compile a list of prices, and in the end, decide on which shop(s) to go ahead.

Regards,
Suresh.
I thought the dealers have non-negotiable prices. Thanks for the info. Anyways we can get an idea of the products and their prices before starting the foot work.

Regards
H

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
I have a question about share of common expenses in apt complexes in Trivandrum.. may be someone can answer this.

When I signed the buiding contract with the buider, it was mentioned that the common expenses (expenses to maintain and operate common areas of a residential building) will be levied proportional to the area of each apt. . But after handover to the apt. association, the association guys voted to levy it equally among all the residents. Thus 2BHKs, 3BHks and 4BHKs are paying same charges for maintenance and admin expenses. Is this the trend followed in TRV? I know GoK has an apt. owners' act which suggests the area based charges. Anyone?

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
^^The rates are charged only on the basis of occupied sq ft only..So a 3bhk need to pay more than a 2bhk. I think there is some rule by govt also as you said.

BTW if the residents association takes a decision with majority, am not sure some thing can be done regarding that.

·
9,474 Posts
Fair-price building supply store arrives in City

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: The Kerala State Nirmithi Kendra’s fair-price shop for building materials, the third one in the State and the first one in South Kerala, will start functioning in the capital city from the last week of October. The city outlet will function at Nirmithi Kendra regional office located on the Polytechnic Campus, Vattiyoorkkavu.

This fair-price shop, named Kalavara, is intended to provide building materials at reasonable rates. The first such outlet was opened at Kalamassery in May this year and the second one at Kozhikode recently.

These shops are opened to bring a relief to the people in the wake of escalating prices of construction materials. Nirmithi outlets sell items such as stamped steel, cement, hollow bricks, concrete solid blocks, concrete window and door frames and ferro-cement products at prices lower than the market rates. All the products conform to ISI specifications.

The building materials are also provided under `No-profit-scheme’ to a person who wants to build a 600-sq-feet-house and if his status is below poverty-line . The person would get a maximum of 100 bags of cement and 500 kg steel under the scheme. For renovation work, the individual would be provided 25 bags of cement. Ration card and approved plan should be produced to benefit from the scheme.

The Government has already announced that Kalavara outlets will be opened in all districts and later, in taluks.

Source

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
^^The rates are charged only on the basis of occupied sq ft only..So a 3bhk need to pay more than a 2bhk. I think there is some rule by govt also as you said.

BTW if the residents association takes a decision with majority, am not sure some thing can be done regarding that.

Thanks Sudheesh for the response. Since many more huge apt. complexes are coming up in TRV, I am sure this will be a major issue among owners. If big apt. owners are a majority compared to small owners, I think the majority vote in an association doesn't make any sense. Actually, I and few other owners asked for a review (based on the GoK rules and building contract) of the decision and now they decided that only salaries of employees (security and admin personnel) will be levied equally (other expenses based on GoK rules, i.e., proportional to the area). But the salaries are the major expenses contributing more than 60% of the total.

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
This is info for those who are planning to buy or bought flat in TVM; the corporation and revenue offices calculate building taxes based on the total built up area of the apt. complex. I was thinking that I will be paying tax only for the saleable area (the actual area inside the apt. + the share of the common area) for the SFS home that I bought. But the tax bill states the total area that includes non-saleable area such as covered parking space, terrace etc. Looks like there is no tax difference for saleable and non-saleable areas.

By the way, the builder never stated how much non-saleable area there will be (in the building contract), but transferred that info to the revenue and corporation authorities!!

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
We had a question about owner-tenat conflict in the project thread. I feel that sort of questions can ce addressed in this thread .. I guess it will be useful info for home buyers/sellers/tenants of Trivandrum.

My personal opinion is that GoK should be enacting strong leasing rules for apartments/commercial blocks .. for attracting investments in infrastructure such as housing, one needs meaningful legislations in this sector. How does it matter for Govt agencies if the lease is for 365 days or 366 days?

·
nyker
189 Posts
What is the tax ( closing cost ) you have to pay for the apt ?

This is info for those who are planning to buy or bought flat in TVM; the corporation and revenue offices calculate building taxes based on the total built up area of the apt. complex. I was thinking that I will be paying tax only for the saleable area (the actual area inside the apt. + the share of the common area) for the SFS home that I bought. But the tax bill states the total area that includes non-saleable area such as covered parking space, terrace etc. Looks like there is no tax difference for saleable and non-saleable areas.

By the way, the builder never stated how much non-saleable area there will be (in the building contract), but transferred that info to the revenue and corporation authorities!!
Babu,

I too have purchased a flat in cyberpalms ( Peach ). I had asked my contact person in SFS a few months ago about the closing amount. She said that it is too early to determine. Do you have any clue how much will it be for an apt costing around 29L ( 1515 sqft ). ? I will be in Kerala in March and I hope they ( sfshomes ) have the figure by then. In this difficult times we have to plan well ahead.:?

H

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
^^ Harshan, do you mean stamp duty and registration charges?

Kerala perhaps has the highest Stamp duty and Registration charges. I think it is around 15.5% of the value of the apartment (I should be knowing it, anyway forgot the values in just 9 months time:nuts:) 12.5% stamp duty and 3% registration, it seems. So you may have to shell out atleast 4.5 lakhs

Till recently, the registration was done only for the cost of the undivided share of land. Infact for many 'Olive' block apartments, it was done like that. Normally registration is done only towards the handing over. But in some cases of Olive, when it was sure that Govt is going to implement the law, many registrations were done earlier, at the time of booking itself. For a builder, registering an apartment in the beginning, when the customer has paid only the first instalment is suicidal. But to help the customers, it was done so. The registrar office of Cyber Palms being not in city also helped. Such registrations had stopped in city that time.

Anyway harshan, you were unlucky, by that time you bought in Peach, the law was in place. And we have a fellow forumer here :)who escaped that, he might have paid only few tens of thousands and got the registration done for his apartment in Olive:cheers:

·
nyker
189 Posts
Bummer !!!

^^ Harshan, do you mean stamp duty and registration charges?

Kerala perhaps has the highest Stamp duty and Registration charges. I think it is around 15.5% of the value of the apartment (I should be knowing it, anyway forgot the values in just 9 months time:nuts:) 12.5% stamp duty and 3% registration, it seems. So you may have to shell out atleast 4.5 lakhs

Till recently, the registration was done only for the cost of the undivided share of land. Infact for many 'Olive' block apartments, it was done like that. Normally registration is done only towards the handing over. But in some cases of Olive, when it was sure that Govt is going to implement the law, many registrations were done earlier, at the time of booking itself. For a builder, registering an apartment in the beginning, when the customer has paid only the first instalment is suicidal. But to help the customers, it was done so. The registrar office of Cyber Palms being not in city also helped. Such registrations had stopped in city that time.

Anyway harshan, you were unlucky, by that time you bought in Peach, the law was in place. And we have a fellow forumer here :)who escaped that, he might have paid only few tens of thousands and got the registration done for his apartment in Olive:cheers:
Anyways Thanks Sudheesh !!! I have to cough up another half a mil ( Ouch !!! I was expecting half of that.). I hope by the end of this year the govt lower the rates.

Are the taxes different for NRIs from Residents ?

BTW I will be in Kerala in the end of March. If you happen to visit Kerala we could meet. I will send you my contact details.

·
C. S. Babu
1,305 Posts
Dear hkaran, apart from the 4.5lac Sudheesh mentioned for registration charges, you must be prepared to pay for construction workers' welfare association fund and other GoK deposits for electricity and water and miscellaneous charges.. that would easily come to Rs 3 lacs. Then you have your final instalment (that is usually not covered in the post-dated cheques) and another 3-4 lacs for the interior works (if it is done through SFS). So I would say you will have to be prepared to shell out another 1mill at the time of hand-over.

·
nyker
189 Posts
Has the asso , elect, water fees gone up.

Dear hkaran, apart from the 4.5lac Sudheesh mentioned for registration charges, you must be prepared to pay for construction workers' welfare association fund and other GoK deposits for electricity and water and miscellaneous charges.. that would easily come to Rs 3 lacs. Then you have your final instalment (that is usually not covered in the post-dated cheques) and another 3-4 lacs for the interior works (if it is done through SFS). So I would say you will have to be prepared to shell out another 1mill at the time of hand-over.
I have an apartment in Kakkanad , Cochin. If I remember right the miscellaneous fees ( transformer, water, panchayath, workers compensation was less than 50K. I have a relative who is into the furnishing business.He did a good job in the flat in Cochin at a reasonable price. I am planning to ask him to furnish this too. I expect it to be less then 2 lakhs. Anyways this has been a very costly venture. After all this, I really wonder whether we will ever live there. I might sell it if I get the right price.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts