Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
Thought I would take a go at starting a discussion thread. :)

So informal traders. What do you guys think? Friend or foe? Should it be heavily regulated, removed altogether or encouraged?

Here are a few pics of informal traders in the Bellville CBD within metro Cape Town ( Yes, I know I am horrible at taking pics).

The Bellville CBD has gone through quite a transformation over the past 2 years. The Voortrekker Road City Improvement District (VRCID) has placed great emphasis on the management of informal traders. This however, led to a sharp decrease in the number of traders, but in its place there is a significantly successful, walkable, and comfortable public spaces. The traders seems to easily coexist with its formal commercial and retail neighbours. (In 2012, this was definately not the case and the pavements were crowded with traders)

Since it is a big part of the urban experience in SA, does anybody else have any other perspectives on informal trade?

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Informal traders are bad for badly run cities. They can easily occupy city streets and then give rise to hygiene and street cleanliness problems. Small and regulated markets in a city can be good. Make sure there are enough facilities for hygiene support nearby, and that proper trading standards for hawkers are met.

Street traders can give a city life and character by selling souvenirs and cheap foods.

·
Requiscat en pace
8,051 Posts
It should be encouraged, but regulated and contained in orderly areas set up specifically to accommodate trade.

Nothing more unsightly than disorganised stalls just "popping up" at random in the streets.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agreed! Every city that i have been to has some form of street trade which are usually done by colourful characters and add to the street experience.

i also noticed the amazing change of the JHB CBD post - Operation Cleansweep. Although the cities look cleaner etc. What about the livelihoods of those people that are being excluded?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts