SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My company has offered me a promotion which would require me and my family to relocate to the United Kingdom, the western part of that country to be more precise. I need to locate my family within a city with a decent transit system due to the fact that my wife doesn't drive a car. We don't need advice on accommodation because my company uses a property estate company so it is just be general feel of the place I would be looking for.

We are both fluent in English, learning mine from my English parents and my wife, who has a mild Irish accent due to the Irish nuns teaching her the language in English emmersion school. Our children are also fluent in English. My wife is oriental and my children are Eurasion. They are both attending school.

I could locate in either Manchester or Liverpool. Both are about the same distance from where my office is located. I am looking for a general feel of the places. Things like shopping, recreation, leisure activities like theatre and spectator sports. I play golf and I sail, strictly amature, and my wife plays tennis, arobics and is a long distance runner also at an amature level but she is good.

I realize and admit it's not much information to go on but with what I have told you would any one be willing to offer some general advice?

·
Registered
10,818 Posts
The general advice would be to head further West .... about 5,000 miles West to California to be precise, where it is a lot warmer and long term job prospects a lot better :)

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
florida? :D

·
Registered
13,057 Posts
Is your office in Warrington or something?

I live in Liverpool and love it, but I am a young person with no real commitments so I can't really comment on what it's like for families etc. I've got a step-sister who lives in Manchester and she loves it there, Manchester's probably ahead in terms of shopping and for leisure activities etc because they have a bigger arena and generally better facilities in that department but it's not by much and I'd recommend Liverpool to anyone who is a fan of architecture(which I assume you are as you're posting on one) and there's plenty to do/see any day of the week. Golf courses are easy to get to from both cities.

Aside from that I couldn't really call it, tbh if you're moving with your family and have a reasonable budget you can probably find somewhere out in Cheshire where you can reach both cities in no time.

·
Keltlandia
8,877 Posts
I would also say that if you're looking at Liverpool and public transport is important, then being near a Merseyrail station will make things a hell of a lot easier. If you do have a nice budget, there are plenty of affluent areas on the Wirral and in the far north which are served well by Merseyrail.

·
Registered
13,057 Posts
Manchester has trams though, which are better in terms of short journeys at least. You can be out of the city centre and into the more affluent areas of altrincham in no time at all.

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The reason for public transit is due to the fact that my wife doesn't drive and we need this convenience. Another reason for a major city is the amenities a city provides.

Thanks for the advice so far, it's appreciated.

·
Registered
628 Posts
The reason for public transit is due to the fact that my wife doesn't drive and we need this convenience. Another reason for a major city is the amenities a city provides.

Thanks for the advice so far, it's appreciated.
Altrincham, Timperley, Brooklands and Sale are decent South Manchester suburbs on the tram line.

Prestwich and Whitefield for North Manchester.

Didsbury and Chorlton for decent Manchester suburbs with good bus services (Chorlton getting a tram soon).

Wilmslow, Alderley Edge, Cheadle, Heaton Chapel/Moor/Mersey all nice towns/suburbs on the west coast mainline trainline into Manchester.

·
likes beer
Cosmic chimp
12,723 Posts
Liverpool

If I were to move closer to Liverpool, I'd personally head towards the sea... I'd be looking at Meols, Hoylake or West Kirby on the Wirral, somewhere around Blundellsands, Hightown or Formby in Liverpool. They have access to the Merseyrail system and as such have good access to the city centre. If you need to commute to somewhere around Warrington, south Liverpool might be more convenient for you.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
liverpool as a lower crime rate,and a great family atmosphere,

·
Banned
2,138 Posts
The general advice would be to head further West .... about 5,000 miles West to California to be precise, where it is a lot warmer and long term job prospects a lot better :)
Correction, California is bankrupt, with unemployment spiraling out of controll, hundreds of thousands of people getting their homes repossessed every month, that is not the place to be in these current times, the US Public Debt as of 01 Dec 2010 at 04:17:52 PM GMT is: $13,797,581,016,367,60 The US National public Debt rises on average $4.13 billion per day.. Not a country i want to be in at this moment in time. :|

·
Registered
5,734 Posts
I would choose Liverpool but obviously I am biased. If you did choose Liverpool I would live in these areas:

Allerton
Aigburth
Mossley Hill
Gateacre
Woolton
Childwall
West Derby

Manchester is good but Liverpool is slightly cheaper to live in and Merseyrail is apparently a good train system. I disagree with Albionfagan, Liverpool has just as much to offer in shopping, theatre and leisure activities these days as Manchester. We also have plenty of golf courses for you to choose from.

·
Just hanging around...
2,927 Posts
Agreed with the others, I'd go for Liverpool. In addition to everything they've said, you've got the Mersey Estuary right on your doorstep (and of course the Irish Sea beyond that!), and you mentioned something about sailing being one of your hobbies - well there you go! :) Manchester's surrounded by the Pennines which would be great for days out, but Liverpool has plenty of countryside on its doorstep too so I wouldn't worry about that.
Liverpool's slightly smaller, but it's got a great city feel, there's still tons of stuff to do, and as albionfagan said, the architecture is great!

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to all those who responded with helpful information. We have since visited the area and have decided were we will relocate to. There is no substitute to having a personal experience, however, we do appreciate all the advice offered. Thank you all very much.

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We will be moving into our new home next week. We would like to thank all those who replied to our queries and helped us decide on were to locate. This is a very exciting time for us, yet we are also a bit apprehensive. We have yet to meet our neighbours but have been assured that most will be very friendly and, well, 'neighbourly' :). Thanks to all who helped with suggestions.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts