SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
18,147 Posts
^^ Thanks. So, given that it's lacking many basic things you'd expect from an arena these days, well, any idea what future this place has? Redevelopment an option?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
^^ Thanks. So, given that it's lacking many basic things you'd expect from an arena these days, well, any idea what future this place has? Redevelopment an option?
MSG recently bought the place and announced plans to turn it into a permanent concert venue. I don't believe they ever announced what that entails, but it won't be available for sports anymore so I'd imagine something at least somewhat substantial.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I always liked the Forum. The fans seemed much closer to the action than at the Staples Center and it just had that Hollywood vibe. It seems like the seats at Staples are so far away, especially in the upper level. I wish they could've replicated the Forum design at the new arena and just added the necessary upgrades and ameneties.

·
4,117 Posts
Nope. It's still a great place to watch a game (better than Staples Center IMO), but it lacks suites, among many other amenities, so the Lakers and Kings moved out in 1999.
i loved the forum, and would agree that the atmosphere was certainly special in there, but i went back last year for a pre season lakers game, and i was reminded of why staples was built. the place just doesnt cut it anymore and really was a pain to get in and out of, lack of concessions and bathrooms, etc.

ill never forget chickie baby saying "seventeen thousand five o five here again"

·
Namasté
1,012 Posts
^ Both MSG and The Forum also used that weird lighting that made the arena look darker on TV.

Not sure about MSG, but at The Forum, when the game was ready to begin (and after each intermission for hockey), the "house lights" were turned off so the only thing lit was the court or ice. It was so dark in the Colonnade (upper level) that you couldn't even read the program. I liked that--it focused all your attention on the game action--almost like the game was theatre being played on a stage.

Several years ago the Lakers began doing the same thing at Staples--turning off the house lights during game action so that only the court is lit. I remember they touted it as a return to the popular "Forum lighting".

If you watch a Clippers game compared to a Lakers game you can see the difference in lighting--the Clipps keep all the lights on during the game while the Lakers only light the court.

-

·
Namasté
1,012 Posts
The Forum is right next to Hollywood Park racetrack. When the Forum's smallish parking lot filled up to capacity they would simply open up the racetrack's parking area closest to the arena.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts