SkyscraperCity banner

101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
17,049 Posts
Staples Center is at a perfect location, accessible to the entire region via rail and freeways, surrounded by bars and restaurants and basically walking distance for 75,000 residents and 500,000 employees. The idea was just floated but at the end of the day, they arent going anywhere. They are currently negotiating an extension to stay at Staples from what i recall reading
Yes, it seems like the interest was much more on MSG's part than the Lakers.

But with all the new stuff in Inglewood, Exposition Park and the proposed new convention center downtown Staples no longer catches the eye. It will be interesting to see if there is more in process here.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Staples Center is at a perfect location, accessible to the entire region via rail and freeways, surrounded by bars and restaurants and basically walking distance for 75,000 residents and 500,000 employees. The idea was just floated but at the end of the day, they arent going anywhere. They are currently negotiating an extension to stay at Staples from what i recall reading
How far is the Forum from the new light rail line? Think I read somewhere Rams stadium is 2 miles away.

·
Registered
17,049 Posts
How far is the Forum from the new light rail line? Think I read somewhere Rams stadium is 2 miles away.
The Forum and the new stadium are, say, 200 yds. apart across parking lots.

The nearest Metro stop is about 1 mile. Inglewood has proposed a monorail from the station to the Forum, stadium and the proposed Clips arena. That would be a bit longer since it would stop in downtown Inglewood as well.

https://urbanize.la/post/inglewood-considers-people-mover-connect-crenshaw-line-nfl-stadium

Last I heard the monorail would be free with Metro ticket and the two parties were each interested.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Are there any talks to connect to the people mover the airport will build or make it a single line? Even though the APM will already connect to the Crenshaw line close to the airport it seems to me like it would be beneficial to the airport, downtown Inglewood and the stadium to have a direct, high-quality connection between them.

·
Registered
17,049 Posts
Are there any talks to connect to the people mover the airport will build or make it a single line? Even though the APM will already connect to the Crenshaw line close to the airport it seems to me like it would be beneficial to the airport, downtown Inglewood and the stadium to have a direct, high-quality connection between them.
The short answer seems to be "no". Inglewood says they looked at extending from the LAX APM to the stadiums but it was more expensive and would not hit downtown Inglewood. As the article notes, other modalities are being looked at but not alternate routes.

I doubt anything will change since LAX and Metro would have little incentive to look even more like bumbling fools than they already do. Suggestions about extending APM to Prairie were raised on these forums almost 3 years ago and pleas to extend the Crenshaw line down Prairie instead of La Brea were rejected by Metro over the vote of the Inglewood mayor, who sat on MTA as representative of the South Bay cities.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
The Forum and the new stadium are, say, 200 yds. apart across parking lots.

The nearest Metro stop is about 1 mile. Inglewood has proposed a monorail from the station to the Forum, stadium and the proposed Clips arena. That would be a bit longer since it would stop in downtown Inglewood as well.

https://urbanize.la/post/inglewood-considers-people-mover-connect-crenshaw-line-nfl-stadium

Last I heard the monorail would be free with Metro ticket and the two parties were each interested.
1 mile seems walkable, no?

·
Registered
17,049 Posts
It certainly is possible. But why complain if transit bring you to within 100 yds,. of the Forum, the stadium and the Clippers Arena?

Some miscellaneous points that could be relevant to this decision, remembering that there could easily be 150 events a year among the three venues:

- with the monorail more people would eat/drink in downtown Inglewood
- the most direct route from the subway goes through quiet streets; these would need to be shut-off on football game days
- concerts or basketball games would not end until 10 o'clock; the city may be concerned about large numbers of walkers through the 'hood at that time
- too many pedestrians complicates vehicle traffic on Manchester, etc.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
It certainly is possible. But why complain if transit bring you to within 100 yds,. of the Forum, the stadium and the Clippers Arena?

Some miscellaneous points that could be relevant to this decision, remembering that there could easily be 150 events a year among the three venues:

- with the monorail more people would eat/drink in downtown Inglewood
- the most direct route from the subway goes through quiet streets; these would need to be shut-off on football game days
- concerts or basketball games would not end until 10 o'clock; the city may be concerned about large numbers of walkers through the 'hood at that time
- too many pedestrians complicates vehicle traffic on Manchester, etc.
Oh I think the people mover is a good idea but its not exactly gonna be done tomorrow or by the time Rams stadium or even Clippers arena opens.

·
Registered
17,049 Posts
Oh I think the people mover is a good idea but its not exactly gonna be done tomorrow or by the time Rams stadium or even Clippers arena opens.
The subway should be done for football. The APM will take some time but probably for the opening of the Clips' arena.

But the great majority presumably will take cars.

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
Transit planners refer to a transit stop's "walkshed". Which is the distance most people are willing to walk to use a transit stop. For buses, its only about 1/4mi. Light rail is a little further at 1/2mi. Anything over those distances, and the amount of people using that transit stop falls off quite a bit. Some people would be willing to walk it, sure. But nothing close to the numbers that would use it if it were within 1/2mi, 1/4mi, etc.

·
Registered
17,049 Posts
Transit planners refer to a transit stop's "walkshed". Which is the distance most people are willing to walk to use a transit stop. For buses, its only about 1/4mi. Light rail is a little further at 1/2mi. Anything over those distances, and the amount of people using that transit stop falls off quite a bit. Some people would be willing to walk it, sure. But nothing close to the numbers that would use it if it were within 1/2mi, 1/4mi, etc.
I agree on the distance, generally. At about 1/2 mile I start thinking about driving.

But I might argue for a longer walk being acceptable here since parking at the stadium could easily be $100 and I doubt it will be under $50 at any reasonable distance. This could incent fans to walk for another 10-15 minutes each way.

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
I agree on the distance, generally. At about 1/2 mile I start thinking about driving.

But I might argue for a longer walk being acceptable here since parking at the stadium could easily be $100 and I doubt it will be under $50 at any reasonable distance. This could incent fans to walk for another 10-15 minutes each way.
Yes, obviously there's other factors. Its not like 0.5mi = Everyone Walks, 0.51mi = NO ONE WALKS! It's a rough guideline/general trend. The point being: The closer the better, the further away, the less use it gets.

·
Registered
17,049 Posts
This has been the subject of considerable discussion on the SoFi and Clippers arena threads. Ballmer seems committed to keeping the Forum as a music venue and getting the people mover built.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Would this be like Houston where you need multiple venues for bigger events like how they use both the astrodome and nrg stadium during the rodeo in houston?

·
Registered
17,049 Posts
I don't know anything about Houston but the LA convention people say they are offering joint sites for larger conventions. WrestleMania is one example with events DT and in Inglewood. Not sure if there is much market for that.

101 - 119 of 119 Posts