Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
17,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The term inner city has many meanings. To most American and Canadian cities, the term refers to the poor decayed areas of the city centre. To some Europeans and Asians, it's the richest part of the city.

What does inner city mean to you and what areas or districts in your city do you consider this term?

·
Just Relax
22,870 Posts
Personally, when I think of the inner city I envisage the urban areas immediately surrounding the city centre. I think of this area as being in stark contrast to the wealthy centre - sink estates, crime etc although clearly this is a generalization. In London for instance these inner city areas have undergone huge regeneration in the last decade. Its just that the term was often used when referring to run down urban areas.

Starting from the city centre I would call the various strata of the city - City centre--inner city--inner suburbs--outer suburbs--suburbia. I guess after that comes the commuter belt.

·
Optimum
9,977 Posts
For Hong Kong--- Kowloon and Northern part of the Island are conisdered as the "inner city" of Hong Kong. The contrast in living standard is stark, often wealthy neighbourhoods are quite close to the inner city--- the difference is that wealthy neighbourhoods often have very tall residentials (typically 100-200m), and they blocked the view of the harbour. In Hong Kong, height is very valuable.

Some parts of the inner city are upper-class neighbourhoods. Their living cost is often high--- Typically very high rent, and expensive stores, if you happened to live in West Kowloon, Mid-Levels or Happy Valley, for example. These neighbourhoods are within 5 km from the city centre of Hong Kong. Crime is in general, not a significant problem in these upper-class neighbourhoods. However, there are many inner city neighbourhoods with significant social problem, e.g. Mong Kok, Tsim Sha Tsui (1-2 km from West Kowloon), North Point and Wan Chai (both are around 1-2 km from Happy Valley)

However, most suburbs (15-40 km from the city centre) in Hong Kong often have even worse crime rate and living standard in general. These suburbs are often categorised as "New Territories", a stark contrast to the more peaceful fringe of the city (5-40 km from the city centre, often much more isolated, some resemble American suburbs while some are quaint neighbourhoods along the coast) The fringe has high rent, around 30%-60% of upper-class neighbourhoods in the inner city.

For example, in Saskatoon (East Side) a 2,000 sq.ft. house costs around CAN $150,000.
============================================
in Stanley (Fringe, Upper-class), a 2,000 sq.ft. house typcially costs around CAN$ 2,000,000+
in West Kowloon/Mid-Levels (Inner City, Upper-class), a 1,500 sq.ft. flat costs around CAN$ 1,500,000-2,500,000, a 500 sq.ft. would cost around CAN$ 500,000- 1,000,000.
in Wan Chai (Inner City, Lower-class/middle-class?), a 500 sq.ft. flat costs around CAN$ 400,000.
in New Territories (Lower-class suburb), a 500 sq.ft. flat costs around CAN$ 150,000.
while a 2000 sq.ft. detached house (Typically middle-class) costs around CAN$ 600,000-1,000,000.

·
囧!
10,897 Posts
The Scandinavian definition of inner city is the dense buildup (ie. multistory buildings with storefronts etc, comparable to what you in North America would consider a "downtown") in the center of the city.

I recently made this map (from flight photos) of Malmö's inner city:

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
In Australia it's usually the upper market area and the richest, as in the proximity to the city rather than living 30km's away in suburbia.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Staff : why did you include the commie-block districts to the left and right of the stadium? but not rosengård etc.. what makes this area inner-city-like?
just asking.

·
Mơמkƹ͛ƴ∆ґ&#4
5,767 Posts
The term "inner city" may mean a poor urban area in North America, but for most (or at least, the larger) cities, the inner city is the wealthiest part, while the inner suburbs tend to have the bad neighbourhoods, with a few exceptions (like Harlem in Manhattan or Regent Park in Central Toronto).

·
South East Nine
39,929 Posts
Inner London includes the wealthiest and most deprived areas of the city. I would personally include Newham and Harringey as Inner London.

The word "Inner City" can suggest deprived (North Peckham etc.) but can also mean trendy (Kensington, Mayfair etc.)

Population: 2,985,700 (of 7,517,000)

·
17,176 Posts
Actually Inner Paris is the municipality of Paris
It has rich and poor places but the inner city has not the richest and the poorest place of Paris metro. :)
Inner Paris = 2,150,000 inhabitants

__ Limit of inner Paris
limite de departement : departments border
Ceinture vert : green belt
Parc naturel regional : Regional natural reserve
Coeur d'agglomeration : core of urban area
agglomeration central : the rest of urban area (real suburbs)
autres agglomerations : other urban areas (Include in metro area)
espace rural : rural area

Actually the core of urban area is the real size of Paris with 6,700,000 inhabitants.

·
Proud Torontonian
1,421 Posts
The term "inner city" may mean a poor urban area in North America, but for most (or at least, the larger) cities, the inner city is the wealthiest part, while the inner suburbs tend to have the bad neighbourhoods, with a few exceptions (like Harlem in Manhattan or Regent Park in Central Toronto).
A lot of Toronto's 'bad' suburban neighbourhoods aren't really that bad, they've just developed not-so-nice perceptions because of a couple unfortunate incidents. People automatically assume that parts of Scarborough, Brampton, and Mississauga are 'ghettos' because of their substantial black populations. It's not really the case.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Inner London includes the wealthiest and most deprived areas of the city. I would personally include Newham and Harringey as Inner London.

The word "Inner City" can suggest deprived (North Peckham etc.) but can also mean trendy (Kensington, Mayfair etc.)

Population: 2,985,700 (of 7,517,000)

I dont know why they have greenwich as inner london, its clearly not. Places like Eltham and Norwood.

Id pretty much agree with those boroughs though bar greenwich

·
spaghetti polonaise
2,536 Posts
In many european cities the term "inner city" refers to the part surrounded by the (former) fortifications shortly before the industrialisation. That doesn't mean that the wealthiest parts are included and in some cities the term is identic with "city centre". In case of Hamburg everything within the orange marked ringroad which follows the old fortifications is called "Innenstadt" (inner city, city centre).

The wealthiest parts are however outside this ring (around the lake north of it or far west in the suburbs along the Elbe river). Actually the population in the city centre is very low. Most of it is retail and offices.

·
囧!
10,897 Posts
Mr_D,
The area you're referring to is whar I would call downtown CPH actually. :)

ilcapo,
Basically because it's still considered inner-city by most people. Rosengård is far from that (well, not locationwise). ;)

·
Used User
4,047 Posts
Mr_D,
The area you're referring to is whar I would call downtown CPH actually. :)

ilcapo,
Basically because it's still considered inner-city by most people. Rosengård is far from that (well, not locationwise). ;)
The part he's refering to is the part that in danish is called "indre by"...so that must be the inner city - i agree with Mr D on this one:)

·
Lord of Legoland
10,895 Posts
Mr_D,
The area you're referring to is whar I would call downtown CPH actually.
Hmm... so would I to a tourist, but for a CPH'er I think downtown would be more understood as the area south of Kongen's Nytorv down to Vesterbro Torv and without the amager part such as Christianshavn and Island's Brygge.. :)

·
South East Nine
39,929 Posts
I dont know why they have greenwich as inner london, its clearly not. Places like Eltham and Norwood.

Id pretty much agree with those boroughs though bar greenwich
If your thinking about deprivation, Greenwich easily has some of the poorest wards in the UK.

In inner London, Greenwich is more deprived than Wandsworth and Lewisham (as well as the obvious ones).

This ranking includes the richer areas like Greenwich and Blackheath, so you see how bad some areas like parts of Woolwich are.

·
Banned
523 Posts
Inner city makes me think of the central downtown Atlanta's business/hotel/convention/government/entertainment district and Georgia State University. I don't know of any slums in the center of downtown, but there are a large number of homeless in and around the area. They're just tryinna get somethin t'eat...

·
Lord of Legoland
10,895 Posts
Oelanddk,
Yeah, namewise it makes sense, but what about Österbro/Nörrebro, Vesterbro etc. etc. Suburbs? ;)
Nah, just different districts...

Copenhagen and Frederiksberg municipal is normaly known as "København" the areas/municipals outside all have their regional names such as the "Vestegn"

1 - 20 of 35 Posts