Grand Gateway, picture 2

(Xujiahui)

Plaza 66

(Nanjing West Road)

Super Brand Mall

(Pudong, Lujiazui Financial District)
21 - 40 of 52 Posts
i found chins has lots of this style shopping mall, but this one is huge
All the malls in Xujiahui are packed! The Grand Gateway is kind of expensive but not ridiculous and the restaurant on the top floor is great. I had dinner there with some friends and it had a live piano player with a Kawai and the view of the Xujiahui district was stunning. I found the locals were at the Southern Shopping center more where the prices were more reasonable. I also spent half a day at Superbrand, the prices were also relatively high but they had a number of fine restaurants, I had Japanese style noodles and Sushi on conveyor belts for very reasonable prices. The problem with the Superbrand was location as not many locals live in Pudong and would not go so far to buy things when there are places more convenient for them. I ate ate at Plaza 66 where you exchange currency for tokens and then they had about 100 vendors where you ordered any kind of food from, very interesting concept.

Edit: Mean't to say Superbrand :cheers:
I think the price of Grand gateway is OK,but the Palza 66 is expensive
TheBigKahuna said:
All the malls in Xujiahui are packed! The Grand Gateway is kind of expensive for most Shanghainese but the restaurant on the top floor is great. I had dinner there with some friends and it had a live piano player with a Kawai and the view of the Xujiahui district was stunning. I found the locals were at the Southern Shopping center more where the prices were more reasonable. I also spent half a day at the Grand Gateway, the prices were also relatively high but they had a number of fine restaurants, I had Japanese style noodles and Sushi on conveyor belts for very reasonable prices. The problem with the Grand Gateway was location as not many locals live in Pudong and would not go so far to buy things when there are places more convenient for them. I ate ate at Plaza 66 where you exchange currency for tokens and then they had about 100 vendors where you ordered any kind of food from, very interesting concept.
Pretty cool malls! Nice pics.
Some of passengers were coming out or the subway "XuJiaHui Station", they ran through the mall. but most of them don't pay attention to the goods.
yeah,as for shopping, the Grand Gateway is :drool:
wwwdbwww said:
Some of passengers were coming out or the subway "XuJiaHui Station", they ran through the mall. but most of them don't pay attention to the goods.
We have to discern between shopping malls and department stores. Parkson and Taipingyang (Pacific) are department stores, not shopping malls. The department stores in Shanghai are usually good accepted by customers, as the price level is not so high as in the more exclusive priced shopping malls.

lester said:
most shopping malls in Huaihai Rd., Xujiahui & Nanjing Rd. are so damn crowded
especially for Parkson & Pacific
TheBigKahuna said:
...The problem with the Grand Gateway was location as not many locals live in Pudong...
Sorry, but Grand Gateway is in Xujiahui, not Pudong...
...The Super Brand Mall is the one in Pudong.

Handsome said:
I think the price of Grand gateway is OK,but the Palza 66 is expensive
Second that... (see far above)
While in Shanghai, I enjoying shopping at markets such as Xiangyang lu. Where do you guys shop while you're there? Here are some pictures I took of Superbrand while I was in Shanghai last summer. Sorry, I didn't get any interior shots as I was pretty hungry for lunch.

Front of the mall:

Rather grand entrance:

Impressed Tourists in Pudong?
in China, we dont strictly distinguish shopping malls from department stores, hmm,whats the criteria of shopping malls? A department store with supermarkets inside? if so, all pix above are not shopping malls. on the other hand, imo,shopping malls are more low-price than those stores.
shmark said:
We have to discern between shopping malls and department stores. Parkson and Taipingyang (Pacific) are department stores, not shopping malls. The department stores in Shanghai are usually good accepted by customers, as the price level is not so high as in the more exclusive priced shopping malls.

Sorry, but Grand Gateway is in Xujiahui, not Pudong...
...The Super Brand Mall is the one in Pudong.

Second that... (see far above)
Shopping malls are a kind of indoor centre with many different stores. They can have department stores, but they also MUST have smaller stores and shops. They also can have restaurants, office buildings, etc.

A department stores is just ONE store such as Parksons, Wal Mart, Mitsukoshi, etc.
lester said:
in China, we dont strictly distinguish shopping malls from department stores, hmm,whats the criteria of shopping malls? A department store with supermarkets inside? if so, all pix above are not shopping malls. on the other hand, imo,shopping malls are more low-price than those stores.
Second that. Definitions (taken from Wikipedia, edited), with some examples from Shanghai:

A shopping mall is a building or set of buildings that contain stores and have interconnecting walkways that make it easy for people to walk from store to store. The walkways may or may not be enclosed. These malls can include supermarkets and department stores. In the United Kingdom and Australia these are called shopping centres or shopping arcades.
Examples:
Grand Gateway (Xujiahui); Times Square, Shanghai Square, Hongkong Plaza (all Huaihai Road); Plaza 66, CITIC Square, Jiu Guang (all Nanjing West Road), Super Brand Mall (Pudong).

A department store is one large scale store that organizes its goods by departments, such as women's clothes, home furnishings, electronics, and the like. Department stores range from elaborate, fancy shops to practical outlets for ordinary merchandise.
Examples:
Liu Bai, Taipingyang, Huijin (all Xujiahui); Shanghai No. 2, Taipingyang, Parksons, Printemps Shanghai (all Huaihai Road); Shanghai No. 1, New World City, Shanghai Landmark (all Nanjing East Road)

A supermarket is a store that sells a wide variety of goods including food and alcohol (where permitted), medicine, clothes, and other household products that are consumed regularly. It is often part of a chain that owns or controls other supermarkets. Supermarkets usually offer products at low prices.
Examples:
Hualian, Lianhua, Jiechang, Jiadeli, Carrefour (all chains with many supermarkets spread all over the city.) BTW: Hualian and Lianhua simply number their supermarkets, looking out of the window i see Hualian No. 332 down there...
raymond_tung88 said:
Shopping malls are a kind of indoor centre with many different stores. They can have department stores, but they also MUST have smaller stores and shops. They also can have restaurants, office buildings, etc.

A department stores is just ONE store such as Parksons, Wal Mart, Mitsukoshi, etc.
What's the Taipingyang department store? Never heard of it before. Is it Chinese? Does anybody have pictures?
Pacific department store at xujiahui

Pacific department store at Shanghai railway station
Pacific department store at Huaihai road

太平洋百货:It's also referred to as "Pacific Department Store". Their website (also including pictures) is at: http://www.pacific-shanghai.com.cn/. (Sorry, Chinese only)
raymond_tung88 said:
What's the Taipingyang department store? Never heard of it before. Is it Chinese? Does anybody have pictures?
the word "shpping mall" just appear recently like the word "CBD", but many my compatriot think big store is shopping mall, flourishing streets are CBD. but in fact China gov just confirm 7 CBD planes and also shopping mall has its own standards, not familiar stores in China big cities which just have 50,000 sq.m. is called shopping mall.
but over one billion people call this stores as shopping mall and some streets as CBD, the national standard is ignored.
lester said:
shanghai has about 18 million and many travellers ,although not everyone is rich,but there are still many rich people.there is till a big market,these malls always have a very good income
wwwdbwww said:
目前,国际商业业态由高至低分为Mall、Shopping center、Department store、专业店、大卖场、杂货店、超市、社区服务店。

○ Mall
为最高业态,经营面积20万平方米以上,以“生活社区”模式满足所有需求的商品品种、“一站式”销售的经营业态。

○ Shopping center
中文译为“购物中心”,经营面积15万平方米以上,以各大、小部类齐全的商品为消费者提供服务,是物业化的经营模式。

○ Department store
“百货店”,源于日语语译,“百”在日语中是较多的意思,其经营面积在2.5万平方米---4万平方米之间,以时尚、全范围、多样服务为三要素,是自营化经营的最大单体店。

○ 专业店
是针对某些类别固定品牌经营和运作、能塑造较为稳定的商品品牌知名度,但此业态没有较好的动性。在国内的起步相对晚于国际,大概在上世纪末才出现在国内较发达的地区和城市 。

○ Market
它包含了多种业态——大卖场,即经营面积在1万—2万平方米以上的类似于“大型超市”的经营场所;杂货店,本市的国际知名超市从正规业态划分上均属于此业态,其经营面积一般为10000 平方米;超市,Super market,以满足家庭生活中的基本需求为主,商品均与生活起居有直接关系,其经营面积一般为几千平方米;
21 - 40 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.