SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it was time I created a thread for the proposed integrated ferry terminal at Kaiwharawhara.

The "Northern Gateway", as CentrePort has dubbed it, is a proposal to redevelop the wharves currently servicing the Interislander ferries into a shared terminal for both Interislander and Bluebridge services.

The proposal is also to improve road and rail (both passenger and freight) access to the area. Passenger rail access will be improved with a new station at Kaiwharawhara (which would presumably also act as a replacement for the former Kaiwharawhara station). Road and freight access will be improved by new entry configurations into the area, more car parking, and additional space for waiting freight. The renders suggest that the little island beside SH1 and currently disused is also going to be part of the proposal (possibly for motorhome parking)

A new terminal building will also be built. The architect for the whole concept is Studio Pacific.

In addition to improvements for passengers and freight, the new terminal will have increased resilience to earthquakes allowing it to operate in the aftermath of a natural disaster. Considering inter-island ferry services are vital to New Zealand's economy there is a good deal of interest, from a resilience point-of-view, in making this proposal happen.

And as for making it happen it seems it is dependent on the will of various interested parties (Centreport, the ferry companies, NZTA etc.), the cost will also be split between these parties.

If approved, the project could begin within five years.

I also understand that Centreport is currently working on a transformative plan to decide on the future use of all their land. The integrated ferry terminal is just one part of this plan. Other issues the plan will address will be, for instance, where to locate the cruise ship terminal and I guess one such area would be in Kaiwharawhara next to the proposed ferry terminal (the other area is Glasgow Wharf close to where Bluebridge currently docks).

In addition to the commercial uses of the port, the plan will also set out CentrePort's development intentions. It is probable that the company's land at the North end of Lambton Harbour (i.e. the city end of the port from the container wharf to Kumutoto) will be redeveloped as apartments and possibly offices and/or a concert arena. Such developments are likely to include the two finger wharves close to the new PWC Centre and the land from the BNZ Centre to the demolished Stats House and Shed 35. It seems to me that a lot of this development depends on the removal of the Bluebridge terminal from the city end of the port.

An article from last year: https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/100519729/Plans-for-quake-resistant-Wellington-ferry-terminal-include-floating-drawbridges

A link to CentrePort's 2017 annual report: http://www.centreport.co.nz/images/stories/documents/centreport_annual_report_2017.pdf

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
As a worker on the ferries the things I want to see including in this project is...

- One intergrated terminal with covered gangways leading to and from the terminal itself.
- A 24 hour operating terminal. Not nessesarily open for business or even check-in, but somewhere where passengers can stay under shelter and warmth at night.
-Multi level carparking
- At least 4 docks minimum. (Bluebridge is considering buying a 1000pax ferry)
-At least 2 linkspans to allow double deck loadings of both levels
- A much improved intersection/layout at the Aotea Quay & Aotea On-Ramp/Ferry Entrance

I'll think of more eventually aha.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
The development apparently goes by the name of "Project Phoenix"
Progressing the KiwiRail/Interislander/CentrePort plans for a very substantial re-development of the Interislander ferry terminal area (“Project Phoenix”)
But any redevelopment depends on NZTA undertaking work to a) replace the Aotqa quay motorway ramps , and strengthening the Motorway bridge over the rail yards....

SH1 Ngauranga to Thorndon

The Southern Rail Overbridge (Hutt Rail Line overbridge) and the Thorndon Overbridge are seismically vulnerable, and are at risk of failure in an earthquake. The catch frames on the Thorndon Overbridge will prevent the concrete beams from falling into the railyard below, but are not strong enough to support traffic on the structure. It is expected that it will take more than three months to restore access along this key section of SH1. The Southern Rail Overbridge is more vulnerable and may fail in a non-Wellington Fault rupture event.

• Aotea Off-ramp
The Ngauranga to Aotea Quay SAR notes (Table 7.134) that the Aotea Quay off-ramp is at risk in a 1:100 year return period.
https://www.nzta.govt.nz/assets/About-us/docs/oia-2017/Accessing-Wellingtons-Port-Area-programme-business-case.pdf

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The development apparently goes by the name of "Project Phoenix"

But any redevelopment depends on NZTA undertaking work to a) replace the Aotqa quay motorway ramps , and strengthening the Motorway bridge over the rail yards....

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/assets/About-us/docs/oia-2017/Accessing-Wellingtons-Port-Area-programme-business-case.pdf
It would be amazing if the NZTA were allowed to get away with not strengthening the bridge over the rail yards - thousands of people could die if it collapsed (on a train and at peak hour for instance).

I see that document is dated before the Kaikoura Earthquake so I wonder if it is now being revised in conjunction with the Port's plan.

·
Kiwi in London
622 Posts
Updating the ferry terminal should be a high priority imo.

Living in the UK, and the number of people I've met who have been to NZ, most people go to Wellington only to catch a ferry. They hear Wellington is a great place but only really spend time at the terminal in transit to/from the South Island. Their opinions of Wellington arent great, which as a Wellingtonian, hurts a little each and every time :D

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
i mean...The terminal and docks are now very decrepit as many of it hadn't been renewed or upgraded for well over 20 to 30 years now apart from the Kaitaki/Kaiarahi gangway. Definitely got its work cut out for it.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Big News!

I just read a post on the crew FB page that KiwiRail has decided to go and build two brand new sister ships that will be identical in design. They both will have rail decks and while we don't have any idea on the numbers...The two ships will most likely carry more passengers and freight than the three of current vessels combined and the ferries will have the ability to do three crossings a day per vessel. The design process is starting this year and the ships is targeted to start operations in 2024.

KiwiRail is currently planning on rebuilding the Interislander terminal as a standalone terminal, but is very open to Bluebridge sharing the terminal.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Big News!

I just read a post on the crew FB page that KiwiRail has decided to go and build two brand new sister ships that will be identical in design. They both will have rail decks and while we don't have any idea on the numbers...The two ships will most likely carry more passengers and freight than the three of current vessels combined and the ferries will have the ability to do three crossings a day per vessel. The design process is starting this year and the ships is targeted to start operations in 2024.

KiwiRail is currently planning on rebuilding the Interislander terminal as a standalone terminal, but is very open to Bluebridge sharing the terminal.
The specs of the future fleet are a rather important spec for the maritime components of any development, especially for rail link spans...

If they do expand their rail capacity it marks a major change in direction from KR given less than 2 years ago they were saying...

But Kiwirail chief executive Peter Reidy said acquiring rail-enabled ferry technology was very expensive.

"We will now be moving more and more freight, as we have been doing, on a road-bridging basis," he said.

"It will be railed into Wellington, it will be put onto rubber wheeled bogies and put onto a ferry."

Mr Reidy noted the double handling would add to the cost, but it would be offset by a lighter overall weight on ferries which would save in fuel and time.
https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/regional/295912/no-more-trains-for-cook-strait-ferries

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Why are we proposing rail capable ferries?

"Our ferries are effectively the Main Trunk Railway line and State Highway 1 across Cook Strait, and
an integral part of the overall railway network. For our rail freight customers, rail-enabled ferries
mean that we can more effectively and efficiently move goods between the two islands. Railenabled ferries also support our plans to grow rail freight for New Zealand, and we retain the ability
to move rolling stock between islands in the most efficient way."
I'm not saying its the wrong decision,
..just that it is a significant shift in KRs previous position....

although
"support our plans to grow rail freight for New Zealand,
KR stick this on any decision they make, heck they said one of the reasons for junking the EFs was
"the mixed locomotive operating model fleet is a major constraint to delivering on the growth aspirations"
https://www.kiwirail.co.nz/uploads/Publications/Better Business Case NIMT Performance Improvement.pdf

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Big News!

That is great news,

what I hope for now is for all the disparate interests - KiwiRail, CentrePort, BlueBridge, GWRC, WCC, NZTA, and even central government - to come together and support a cohesive plan for a highly efficient ferry port at Kaiwharawhara and to also drop the brainless idea of having it at Kings Wharf.

And also great news about the rail capacity, if the decision was made three years ago it probably would've been quite different.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Good to hear about new technology having the ability to reduce wake turbulence. Means the Interislander can have the ability to speed through the sounds.

Time to think about ideas for facilities I suppose...

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good to hear about new technology having the ability to reduce wake turbulence. Means the Interislander can have the ability to speed through the sounds.

Time to think about ideas for facilities I suppose...
It is good news and it also means that the integrated ferry terminal, wherever it may be, needs to be in place by 2024 which means that things have to move reasonably quickly in terms of planning.

As for where the terminal will be located - whether at Kaiwharawhara or at Kings Wharf - I wonder if the fact that the two new ferries will be rail capable makes Kaiwharawhara (even more of) a natural choice. I mean I'm no expert but it seems quite a bit more difficult building a new line over to Kings Wharf (and going either under or over Waterloo Quay) than it does merely improving access at Kaiwharawhara.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Good news about the new ferries: Procurement process for new Interislander ferries kicks off

It looks like Interislander are moving faster than CentrePort, GWRC, and Bluebridge.

Now I'd like to hear more about the 'integrated' bit, that's to say whether or not Bluebridge are going to share port facilities at Kaiwharawhara.
The Ferry companies always had to be the "first movers" in this process as any terminal designs would have to be built to fit the size of the vessels (this is even more true with Rail ferries)

Although the decision by KR to retain rail on the ferries does make is more complicated to share berths with non rail vessels.....

Apparently Blue Bridge are also looking at bigger vessels too... but given they are just vehicle RORO all they need is a flat concrete wharf at the right height....

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
The Ferry companies always had to be the "first movers" in this process as any terminal designs would have to be built to fit the size of the vessels (this is even more true with Rail ferries)

Although the decision by KR to retain rail on the ferries does make is more complicated to share berths with non rail vessels.....

Apparently Blue Bridge are also looking at bigger vessels too... but given they are just vehicle RORO all they need is a flat concrete wharf at the right height....
Who knows...Perhaps Bluebridge might want to jump on the Rail Wagon as well? But yeah, I hear rumors that Bluebridge wants to buy a 1000 pax capable ferry so if they want to intergrate with Interislander then StraitNZ will also have to pay some big sums of money.

Would love to see the investment though.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Who knows...Perhaps Bluebridge might want to jump on the Rail Wagon as well? But yeah, I hear rumors that Bluebridge wants to buy a 1000 pax capable ferry so if they want to intergrate with Interislander then StraitNZ will also have to pay some big sums of money.

Would love to see the investment though.
With KiwiRail and Interislander being the same people, wouldn't that leave Bluebridge out in the cold in terms of rail? Though it would be a good thing to have them both rail enabled. Just how past it are Interislander's old boats (sorry ferries), could they be sold to Bluebridge or are they looking at brand new too?

As for the two sharing Kaiwharawhara, hopefully they can work it out - it would be a vast improvement if all ferry operations were out of the city (and don't they share Picton already or am I imagining things?).

One of things counting in the integrated terminals favour is if CentrePort realises that their land is more valuable being developed (arena, apartments, etc.) - that might be all the motivation they need.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
With KiwiRail and Interislander being the same people, wouldn't that leave Bluebridge out in the cold in terms of rail? Though it would be a good thing to have them both rail enabled. Just how past it are Interislander's old boats (sorry ferries), could they be sold to Bluebridge or are they looking at brand new too?
Kaitaki is definitely past it and it's starting really starting to show in parts (car deck, stairwell, lifts), Interislander will be doing more renovations to the food court and maybe putting a new shop on there to give her a fresher look, but I wouldn't be surprised if she is sent straight to the scrap heap after her life on Cook Strait is over...Aratere is going strong as it has been properly renovated a few years ago and she is laid up for a clean and general maintenance every week so she got another 7 to 8 years left in her I reckon. Kaiarahi I do not know since I have not ever worked on it. But it's the same age as Aratere so I believe she has a bit of life left, but not as much as Aratere.

If Bluebridge wants to buy off Interislander then they could get the Kaiarahi since she is designed for freight. But I'm doubtful as Bluebridge would want a bigger ship to compete with Interislander.

As for the two sharing Kaiwharawhara, hopefully they can work it out - it would be a vast improvement if all ferry operations were out of the city (and don't they share Picton already or am I imagining things?).

One of things counting in the integrated terminals favour is if CentrePort realises that their land is more valuable being developed (arena, apartments, etc.) - that might be all the motivation they need.
They don't share the facilities in Picton, Bluebridge has a single ramp next to the Aratere's Linkspan but that is it. The Terminal and Car Marshall Yard is actually quite a while away from the ships themselves since either KiwiRail/Interislander and Port Marlborough pretty much owns the entire land on the waterfront. Foot passengers have to get a bus from the Terminal to the ferry then walk on which isn't terribly convenient.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I have signed up to participate in meetings with the iRex project managers in assisting with suggestions and ideas for the new ferries...Everything from the car deck to the coffee to the firedoors will be discussed. What I think should be included on the Car Deck is cables for EVs. Along with an adults only lounge that isn't a premium room.

Time to change the name of the thread to iRex perhaps?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I have signed up to participate in meetings with the iRex project managers in assisting with suggestions and ideas for the new ferries...Everything from the car deck to the coffee to the firedoors will be discussed. What I think should be included on the Car Deck is cables for EVs. Along with an adults only lounge that isn't a premium room.

Time to change the name of the thread to iRex perhaps?
If the vessels are going to be as big as I think they will be, space for an adults only lounge will not be an issue.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts