SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did not find any threads so far which deal with interior decoration issues in Bangladesh. So I figured I'll start off a small thread. Provided TMAC okays -- we can all pitch in.

First link is from archsel

Second is a link from our pioneer in Dhaka Interior design, Ms. Tanya Karim. Here's a recent example.

Third link is not from Bangladesh but mentionable nonetheless. Great work from a Phillippines interior designer (Stephen David) who does excellent work on smaller interiors of high rise small apts. I think the type of work is tasteful, economical and very appropriate for Bangladesh middle-class residential interiors.

·
11,971 Posts
I did not find any threads so far which deal with interior decoration issues in Bangladesh. So I figured I'll start off a small thread. Provided TMAC okays -- we can all pitch in.
:uh:
So who is this Anisul Haq and what does he do for a living?

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Nice thread, Manbil, and appropriate to this forum. I'll try to chip in when I can. I haven't checked your links as I am busy tonight but will when I get a chance.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So who is this Anisul Haq and what does he do for a living?
If I'm halfway right -- he's the former head of the BGMEA and the current head of the FBCCI.

God has blessed him with enough 'Halal income' so he can support the work of architects and interior designers -- being a man of good taste. He also happens to be a not-so-distant neighbor :)

·
11,971 Posts
If I'm halfway right -- he's the former head of the BGMEA and the current head of the FBCCI.

God has blessed him with enough 'Halal income' so he can support the work of architects and interior designers -- being a man of good taste.
Good for him. More power to him.

By the way, your interior thread is welcome and appropriate one. Some of the design work by archsel is pretty hip. Many offices do not have such design/style even in many affluent cities. Sitting in one of those offices in Dhaka, one could make believe s/he is in NYC, Tokyo, or Dubai!

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
In case you guys are not familiar with it...archnet.org has a collection of (old) pictures of different buildings including residences in BD designed by various architects, with some interior shots. I thought about downloading and uploading some the pics here in this thread, but that would take a lot of time...so just check it yourselves if interested. It's a nice site on architecture in Muslim countries, though it hasn't been updated in ages.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yes Tan -- Thanks for reminding me. I've known about 'Archnet' as well, and especially this one (my favourite)

Here're more links to explore (proof of the good architectural and Interior Design talent we've had over the years),

First the 'Cube Building' in Shantinagar,

Second, the not-so-well-designed site for FEA Ltd.

Recently the Interior designers' work in Bangladesh have become world-class due to cheaper and profuse availability of Chinese interior materials (as well as exterior aluminium cladding).

Here's a source.(You have to click on the item links towards the end).

And another one.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some of the design work by archsel is pretty hip. Many offices do not have such design/style even in many affluent cities. Sitting in one of those offices in Dhaka, one could make believe s/he is in NYC, Tokyo, or Dubai!
True Towhid Bhai -- I've always said that the Bangladeshi Artistic aesthetic takes a back seat to no one.

Now that we've got at least some influx of money and development -- it's time to show the world our taste and what we're capable of.

·
Tetulia theke Teknaf
1,865 Posts
Interior designers must be doing pretty good in Bangladesh. There are even private schools for interior designing:

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interior designers must be doing pretty good in Bangladesh. There are even private schools for interior designing:

True, true.

Most of them seem to have been started by ex-BUET professors who typically don't have a roaring design-practice. Good way to make some money while you help disseminate good taste.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts