SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 1043 Posts

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
MLB Ballparks

The first ever WBC is coming veeery soon...about a month and change now. Are you ready?

Countries participating: Australia, Canada, China, Chinese Taipei, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Italy, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Netherlands, Panama, Puerto Rico, South Africa, USA, Venezuela.

Opening rounds:
Tokyo Dome, Tokyo, Japan (55,000)

Chase Field, Phoenix, USA (49,033)

Scottsdale Stadium, Scottsdale, USA (11,200)

Hiram Bithorn Stadium, San Juan, Puerto Rico (18,264)

Disney's Wide World of Sports, Orlando, USA (9,100)

Round Two:

Angel Stadium, Anaheim, USA (45,050)

Again at Hiram Bithorn.

Finals: Petco Park, San Diego, USA (46,000)

·
Registered
595 Posts
I am really eager to go to the final games of the competition at Petco Park.

·
Registered
296 Posts
GO AUSTRALIA

ps whats the ranking list?

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
^ Give it a couple of more years.

It will be surrounded by skyscrapers.

And a 9k stadium hosts a couple of games. :|

·
My Mind Has Left My Body
7,266 Posts
Good venues. Next time (if there is) I would like to see Seattle, Milwaukee, and Houston to get a shot hosting some games.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Is the average American baseball fan interested in this concept? Is it a once off or will they continue to have it every x no. of years?

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BobDaBuilder said:
Is the average American baseball fan interested in this concept? Is it a once off or will they continue to have it every x no. of years?
For some reason I want to say that it'll be every three years, but the next one will be in two. That sounds familiar.

·
ValencianoX
105 Posts
JA, coriously Venezuela wich has Staditiums with higher capacity than this toy stadium of Disney and has one of the best baseball teams has not been selected like a place for play. Well anyway, what matter is that Venezuela wins this tournament jajajajajaja what a belived
Good look for everyteams

·
Registered Idiot
1,671 Posts
vishalt said:
GO AUSTRALIA

ps whats the ranking list?

I don't think there is anything official but its probably something like this.

01.USA
01.Dominican Republic
01.Venezuela
04.Japan
05.Puerto Rico
06.Mexico
07.Canada
08.Cuba
09.Korea
10.Netherlands
11.Australia
12.Italy
13.Panama
14.China
15.Chinese Taipei
16.South Africa

·
ValencianoX
105 Posts
that ranking list is very close to the reality. this 3 first places are very dificult to determinate because of the last Caribbean series, when Venezuela won

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Oz should do pretty well. Nothing to beat there. I think we were 2nd and should have won the Gold in 2000 Olympics.

You can never discount a champion team will always beat a team of champions.

:cheers:

p.s. Is America still upset with Cuba after all these years? I thought the cold war finished decades ago? Surely you can get Cuban cigars in the USA nowadays? What sort of rubbish do they smoke over in the US if not fine Cubans?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
This will be much different than the olympics. The Major League players are actually participating in this unlike the Olympic. The U.S., along with some of the carribean island nations like The Dominican Republic should field some incredibly hard to beat teams.

The Cuban thing is more governmental than anything. Don't know many citizens, outside of Cuban expats themselves that really hate the place.

·
Registered
950 Posts
rantanamo said:
This will be much different than the olympics. The Major League players are actually participating in this unlike the Olympic. The U.S., along with some of the carribean island nations like The Dominican Republic should field some incredibly hard to beat teams.

The Cuban thing is more governmental than anything. Don't know many citizens, outside of Cuban expats themselves that really hate the place.
It does seem strange. The USA imports hundreds of billions of dollars worth of good from China (a truly barbaric regime) yet trade with Cuba (a joke of a regime) is barred completely.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I don't see the necessity of having some of the games at that Disney stadium. Its pretty much a marketing/tourist move.

·
Registered
290 Posts
dewback said:
I don't see the necessity of having some of the games at that Disney stadium. Its pretty much a marketing/tourist move.
proximity to spring training, and that stadium was probably one of the only ones in that area that wasnt being used for that purpose. Same with scottsdale stadium in the phoenix area. many of these players will be in one of those two areas of the world anyway.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Its great that, at last, pro baseball is doing something for the development of the sport.

It would be nice if the best USA team toured places like Oz. So we could pit our best against their best. Maybe a 5 test series like in cricket. I reckon we'd win too.

Apparently the Melbourne Cricket Ground actually holds the baseball attendance record as well.

1 - 20 of 1043 Posts