SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 18854 Posts

·
Kickin' it
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
About 8 years ago when this thread was started, I had been taking a look at the Austrian photos showing the old border crossing structures between Austria and Italy, and that piqued my interests further. What do the borders look like on your freeways/motorways?

Post ones you've crossed, ones from your own country, or ones you just like for whatever particular reason

Thread rules:

You are allowed to post pictures and interesting facts about international border crossings

You are not allowed to state your opinion or debate about any disputed areas (like Kosovo, Crimea and other similar areas). Doing so you will get an infraction.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
On 25 October, my wife and I went to Vancouver, and she took this picture on WA-539 right before the border crossing.

However, we didn't take picture of "ThinkMetric" sign and the border station itself because it was already too dark.

·
49,753 Posts
Danish - Swedish border between Copenhagen and Malmö

German - Danish border between Flensburg and Padborg:

Speed limit sign. You'll see this at almost every European border.

Old border station from the pre-Schengen era on the A1 border Netherlands - Germany

German speed limit sign

French-Belgian border near Lille on E42;

There is some old border station left here. No checks ofcourse.

Newest Dutch-German motorway border crossing. Only a sign here, nothing else. (photo taken during construction, now completed)

Dutch speed limit sign

Belgian-French border on E19

The border station

Old style border checkpoint with a 10km/h limit. No checks for years though.

Luxembourg - German border on the A1

This is the border;

Where it all began;

German Luxembourg border near Schengen.

other direction;

Old border station between Belgium and France near Longwy.

And another tourist visits france ;)

Local border crossing in the urban area of Aachen and Vaals

old speed limit sign.

Local Dutch - German border crossing near Coevorden. The right sign is Dutch, the larger blue one is German.

·
Coexist
1,129 Posts
These border crossings on the North American continent seem to be major bottlenecks, they don't have too many lanes... am I right?

Here in Europe we have wider crossings for the important routes. For example, Hegyeshalom (H) - Nickelsdorf (A) has some 8-10 lanes per direction. Unfortunately I don't have pictures for this one.

·
con los terroristas
14,096 Posts
main border crossing between Serbia and Bulgaria. my mother took it. i don't like pjotographing border crossings because employers there are often screwed up and think that i'm the worst criminal while photographing :dunno:

·
49,753 Posts
These border crossings on the North American continent seem to be major bottlenecks, they don't have too many lanes... am I right?
The San Diego - Tijuana border crossing is said to be one of the busiest in the world. It has over 25 lanes i think.

Also notice the different amount of lanes, from US point of view: about 5 outbound, and over 25 inbound. Maybe because incoming traffic to the US is checked much more strictly then outgoing traffic to Mexico.

·
Coexist
1,129 Posts
No wonder there are so many illegal immigrants from Mexico in the USA. Why wait at the border several hours when you can enter the USA now? :D

·
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪
2,624 Posts
Luxembourg - German border on the A1

This is the border;
on the luxemburgian side of this border, they are 2 big gas stations/rest areas (one for each direction) where many germans from nearby get only to get gas, cigarettes and coffee as it is much cheaper than in Germany (you enter Luxemburg, immediately after the border (the border is the Sauer/Sûre River, so immediately when the bridge over it ends) you enter the gas station/rest area and then take the integrated exit to Wasserbillig just to turn and get back to Germany (or you directly take the exit to turn and get to the gas station on the other side). I also ride there at least once a week, but can't take pictures at the moment because my cam is not working).

·
IsraCanadian :)
1,357 Posts
Here are some shots I snapped on my way from Toronto to New York City. This is the Queenston-Lewiston bridge crossing from Canada to the US, one of several Niagara region crossings. The motorways are: Highway 405 in Canada and Interstate 190 in the US. I posted these pictures previously in a dedicated thread.

1 - 20 of 18854 Posts