Skyscraper City Forum banner
1601 - 1620 of 19434 Posts

·
Illustrateur
13,146 Posts
Are there also borders with motorways where left-driving goes to right-driving?

This is also a great situation in the province of Brabant in The Netherlands. Lot of 'pieces of Belgium' are located inside the Netherlands. Even pieces of farmland are sometimes Belgian. More weird is a piece of the Netherlands located in an enclave of Belgium in the Netherlands.

Mark of the border just in a street of the the town

Crosses are painted on the street.

Here it leads straight through an entrance of a lodge. 'Where do you live?' 'Eh' :)

·
Funkin' down the Track
706 Posts
Yeah, that area around Baarle-Nassau and Baarle-Hertog is odd. I can't understand that they did not work out a solution for this when Belgium split off in 1830. It cost the nations involved bloody nine years to finally determine the border and then they came up with something like this ??? They must have been drunk when finalising this bit.

A list of swapping-sides border crossings can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_on_the_left_or_right, including the solutions used to have traffic swap sides without problems.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Well, I should have added that my observations were based on personal experience. I have crossed the border 4 times, and all 4 times Canadians seemed laid back and quite friendly. The longest questioning from a Canadian border guard probably lasted a little more than two minutes. Last time in December, a Canadian lady did not even check my wife's and my parents' documents before she let us in. Plus, you can pass a joke or two with Canadians :) American border guards, on the other hand, were always very serious, dry and unfriendly. Maybe, 4 times is not enough to make a generalisation, but that was my case. I like Canada and I will make more trips, so my statistics might change. Hopefully, Canadians will stay as friendly and Americans become less serious :)
I do hope you are not serious. The border guards are there for a reason. Not be nice but to provide security. That the Canadians are not doing their jobs is disturbing.

·
Nonhyphenated-American
3,371 Posts
Yeah, that area around Baarle-Nassau and Baarle-Hertog is odd. I can't understand that they did not work out a solution for this when Belgium split off in 1830. It cost the nations involved bloody nine years to finally determine the border and then they came up with something like this ??? They must have been drunk when finalising this bit.
Good thing that those two countries are *AT PEACE* with each other and not like the two Koreas.

:nuts:

Mike

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I do hope you are not serious. The border guards are there for a reason. Not be nice but to provide security. That the Canadians are not doing their jobs is disturbing.
I am quite serious. I never said that Canadians are not doing job, and there is nothing in my post to indicate that they are not doing their jobs. Whilst they appeared friendly and laid back, they still closely observed the way I acted and answered their questions. You don't have to be a goofy and grumpy person to be a good border guard because at the airports, CBP officers do appear more friendly and more polite than their land borders' comrades. They are still doing their job, aren't they?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Last time I went to Canada was back in ... umm, 2004 or 2005, I suppose. I drove there from Chicago with two coworkers and the wife of one of them to go camping in Ontario. We crossed at Detroit/Windsor, using the Ambassador Bridge. It was just after dark when we pulled up to the guard station on the bridge. He asked, 'Where're you headed?', and I replied, 'Rondeau Park.' He just said 'All right', and waved us through -- didn't ask to see ID, didn't ask us any other questions, in fact I never even saw his face through the darkness.

·
11,880 Posts
And it's Cieszyn - Chotěbuz, btw.
Cieszyn - Boguszowice / Chotěbuz to be even more precise.

Is the 80 km/h the only speed limit on the section between two first pics? I remember some time ago there was 60 right after a 110 km/h curve. Great place to get a ticket.:eek:hno:

·
Registered
6,123 Posts
CZ/SK Mosty u Jablunkova - Svrčinovec

Approaching the border.

Czech side.

Slovakian side.

Slovakian new speed limit sign. Lol at prohibition for trucks more than 7,5 t to overtake on motorways and ekspressways.

1601 - 1620 of 19434 Posts