Skyscraper City Forum banner
19421 - 19440 of 19457 Posts

·
54,349 Posts
A new border crossing will open to traffic between Serbia and Bosnia across the Drina River, between Bratunac, Bosnia and Ljubovija, Serbia.

·
Registered
7,098 Posts
A new border crossing will open to traffic between Serbia and Bosnia across the Drina River, between Bratunac, Bosnia and Ljubovija, Serbia.

joint?

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Trip report from the Gibraltar/Spain border:

The border is still lightly controlled, and everyone crossing with a British passport is specifically asked if they need a stamp or not. If you need a stamp, then your passport is scanned and checked against the Schengen databases, otherwise you're just waved through. It seems that there's at least an understanding between Gibraltar and Spain that people won't be subject to the 90/180 limit if they live locally, probably because it's unrealistic for everyone to have their passports stamped twice if they just want to go to Spain for some shopping or to go to a cafe.

There is clear construction work going on at the pedestrian crossings, and both the exit and entry buildings have been significantly enlarged with several new booths for passport control. There's also new biometric gates installed, so it looks like Spain is preparing for the Schengen Entry-Exit System properly. The capacity will be there to handle a huge amount of people every day, at least for people walking to/from Gibraltar.

Spain has also rebuilt the Customs area on entry, so that it resembles a traditional border crossing. I didn't get a picture, but the former customs shed (which had 4 lanes, of which one or two were normally open) has now been transformed into three lanes, and each lane has a police booth followed by a customs booth. It seems that they'll stop using the existing booths that are right next to the border gate, so there will be three lanes for use when leaving Gibraltar. It's still not enough for the amount of traffic there, especially if everyone in cars has to have their documents scanned when entering Spain.

I also saw how border management works on a practical level. For instance, someone drove the wrong way towards the border gate, heading into the exit lanes from Gibraltar by mistake. The Spanish border police entered Gibraltar to guide them to the correct exit, and the Gibraltarian police left them to handle it by themselves without complaint. The same happened with a discussion between the Spanish and Gibraltarian police about opening up the second exit-entry lane towards Gibraltar - the Spanish policeman on duty walked into Gibraltar to talk to the police there about opening the lane up.

It seems to me that the infrastructure still won't handle full Schengen checks, but that it might be accepted (and quietly tolerated) for Gibraltarians and EU residents not to have their documents checked properly.

·
86,068 Posts
What's the 90/180 limit?

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
@alserrod I believe it is reffering to the Schengen "90 days in a 180 day-period" rule, for non-EU citizens.
Yes, exactly that.

I've found that there was an agreement with Spain not to stamp the passports of people with red Gibraltarian ID cards and blue registration cards (non-Gibraltarian EU citizen residents of Gibraltar), but after the UK started demanding passports to enter the UK, Spain started to stamp the passports of people who had only the blue registration cards. They're definitely not stamping Gibraltarian ID card holders however.

On a side note, I can also confirm that neither Gibraltar nor Spain have any issue to crossing the border after 5 beers and some Jagerbombs... I'm still surprised that I could find my way from the city centre to my hotel in La Linea!

This is an old view from the 2015 works at the border. This area (where the red/green lanes are) now has three lanes, and each lane has police and customs booths. It looks like there will be two green lanes (to fit the existing two lanes through the border fence) and one red lane, matching the other side of the crossing (exit Spain/entry Gibraltar).

·
Registered
177 Posts
According to this piece of news, the new border crossing between Portugal and Spain at Vilar Formoso (A25) / Fuentes de Oñoro (A-62) will open next monday:

The motorway has been finished for a long time, but hasn't been officially inaugurated yet.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Some random pictures from Gibraltar in previous years:

This is from before the border opened in 1982 for pedestrians. Work had been carried out at the beginning of the 1980s to create a new border crossing on the side of La Linea (Spain), but it wasn't opened for vehicle traffic until 1985. This area also functioned rather differently then, as all traffic went through the original border gates.

Until 2015-16, there were no real passport controls in La Linea. The Spanish police rarely paid attention to people leaving (you can see the single booth used to check pedestrians on the right hand side of the picture, above the rubbish bin), and on entry, it was normally enough to just wave your open passport at them. The real controls were customs controls on exit, which were stricter than today and frequently featured all travellers being required to open their vehicles and to have their bags checked at the pedestrian customs building.

A 1994 view of the border from the Spanish side. Originally, traffic could enter Gibraltar in two directions along the Avenida Príncipe de Asturias in La Linea, but this was changed in light of the amount of traffic entering Gibraltar. One big difference to today is that the border was still very 'militarised' here, with concrete defensive walls and only one line of traffic through the border. However, the actual border controls on exit/entry to Gibraltar were incredibly light, compared to today where Spain is preparing for every document to be formally checked on entry and exit.

A 1996 view of the border. Gibraltar at this point had only two lanes for customs control, while this area was completely unsuitable for the amount of traffic using it. Traffic on exit at this point had practically ceased to use the original exit lane, with traffic using an alternative exit on the site of today's customs controls.

A video showing the old entry customs infrastructure in the direction of Spain from 2012.

Gibraltar hasn't constructed the exit barriers yet (not that these are ever used...), and the Spanish customs checks often ignored the red/green lanes in favour of checking everyone.

·
Registered
525 Posts

Long waiting times at ALL the border crossings of Romania with Hungary(direction HU—>RO), in some places, the waiting time was(and still is, as I am writing this post) as high as 7 hours, with a minimum of 1 hour in some smaller, less important border crossings.
The waiting times are mostly due to the romanians returning home for the Winter Holidays, and also due to the fact that every traveller must complete a paper-based affidavit(self-declaration) with their name, adress and so on.Most of the people returning home are unvaccinated, and when they find out that they'll have to go into quarantine, they burst with anger, because they did not know about this(Even if this has long been announced).Long story short, everyone is exhausted:The travellers, who are forced to wait, and also the Health Authorities, who must proceed with the epidemiological procedures, such as who goes into quarantine and where, but, under stress conditions which are 10× worse than normal.
Let me give you an example: The line of cars waiting at the border crossing Kiszombor-Cenad(the southermost red "dot" on the map) went as far as 6 kilometres "into" Hungary earlier in the day!(For the ones who are familiar to the area, the line went as far to the intersection between the Szeged-Makó road & the road leading to the Kiszombor border crossing).

·
Registered
177 Posts
According to this piece of news, the new border crossing between Portugal and Spain at Vilar Formoso (A25) / Fuentes de Oñoro (A-62) will open next monday:

The motorway has been finished for a long time, but hasn't been officially inaugurated yet.
Finally!

19421 - 19440 of 19457 Posts